Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

24-11-2020, 23:21   #76
jk23

Some signings today...Bam gets the max contract with the Heat, Demarcus Cousins signs with Houston Rockets, Ingram gets a big contract with the Pelicans and Delledova back with the Cavs
Advertisement
25-11-2020, 10:57   #77
LuckyLloyd
The Voice of Reason

The Lakers have not done what I expected them to do. I thought they would try and retain the squad in large part but moving out big personalities like Rondo, Howard and McGee who all contributed throughout the year is very interesting. It’s a significant amount of change.

I’ve gone back and forth on this tbh, but I think they’ve probably made themselves better during the regular season and weaker in the playoffs. Schroder and Harrell give them a viable offense when LeBron and Davis are off the floor, but it will be hard to accommodate Harrell in playoff rotations. Gasol was a great player and Morris did well last year but I’d probably still rather Howard and McGee who offered a huge defensive advantage during the regular season last year.

Interesting to see how it all shakes out. Maybe the strategy here is to really manage minutes for LeBron and Davis through the regular season and that fit, etc won’t matter in the playoffs? We’ll see.

Last edited by LuckyLloyd; 25-11-2020 at 11:04.
25-11-2020, 11:48   #78
ButtersSuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
The Lakers have not done what I expected them to do. I thought they would try and retain the squad in large part but moving out big personalities like Rondo, Howard and McGee who all contributed throughout the year is very interesting. It’s a significant amount of change.

I’ve gone back and forth on this tbh, but I think they’ve probably made themselves better during the regular season and weaker in the playoffs. Schroder and Harrell give them a viable offense when LeBron and Davis are off the floor, but it will be hard to accommodate Harrell in playoff rotations. Gasol was a great player and Morris did well last year but I’d probably still rather Howard and McGee who offered a huge defensive advantage during the regular season last year.

Interesting to see how it all shakes out. Maybe the strategy here is to really manage minutes for LeBron and Davis through the regular season and that fit, etc won’t matter in the playoffs? We’ll see.
Interesting take. I actually think they got a lot stronger. I don't think Gasol will be as bad as he was in the bubble and defensively he's on a different level to what JaVale and Dwight offered. I agree on Montrezl, not so sure on Schroder, I do think he's bee under-rated and under-used. One thing they have done is take goofyness and d*ckheads out of the team, I'd imagine chemistry will be a lot better simply by not having some of the JR, Javale, Dwight, Waiters, and yes, Rondo out of there would be addition by subtraction. I think they've gotten an awful lot more serious about the task at hand. I can't imagine Marc Gasol putting up with crap tbh.

I think they're string favorites to repeat, and I say that as a Boston fan so it kills me. I also don't think they're done trading, I'd expect a move post All Star Break. I do think had the Bucks gotten Bogdonovic they've have been stronger, but that's dead in the water now. They need to do something post All Star Break too IMO.
25-11-2020, 11:49   #79
Osmosis Jones

Rockets really moving like they're keeping Harden and Westbrook now, which makes their willingness to trade Covington for picks extremely bizarre.
25-11-2020, 11:56   #80
ButtersSuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osmosis Jones View Post
Rockets really moving like they're keeping Harden and Westbrook now, which makes their willingness to trade Covington for picks extremely bizarre.
They'll move one or both eventually, it's just a matter of time. They're not going to win anything so it's I'd imagine a d*ck measuring contest between Frittata (yes, I know that's not how you spell it) and the two players, with a bit of Morey thrown in.

If he (Fritata) can manage his pride the best return is from Philly (Simmons), but will he do it, that's the question?

San Antonio refused to deal with the Lakers a few years ago when Leonard wanted out and it cost them enormously. If Fritata is the businessman he always talks about himself being he should take the best deal possible. San Antonio had the excuse of LA were in the same conference, that doesn't apply here.
Advertisement
25-11-2020, 17:33   #81
Coneygree

Hon the Hawks! Defence is still behind the couch frightening for the most part but it has been a great off season.
26-11-2020, 06:05   #82
Carcharodon

Just listened to the Podcast “Whistleblower” by journalist Livingston. It’s a series of short episodes detailing the accounts of referee Tm Donaghy betting scandal, there is a ton of very interesting stuff in there, some of it blew me away but can’t say Iam surprised at all even if a tiny portion of the accusations are true regarding the shenanigans within the NBA
Apologies if it was brought up already, I sure the likes of Butters and co have probably listened to it
I knew the story of Donaghy but so much more to the story as it’s told m the podcast series.
26-11-2020, 09:48   #83
Corvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coneygree View Post
Hon the Hawks! Defence is still behind the couch frightening for the most part but it has been a great off season.
Looks really good! Trae Young, Bogdanovic, Reddish, Collins and Capela with Rondo ready to step in.

Be plenty of scoring at both sides!
26-11-2020, 18:39   #84
Coneygree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvo View Post
Looks really good! Trae Young, Bogdanovic, Reddish, Collins and Capela with Rondo ready to step in.

Be plenty of scoring at both sides!
Trae averaging 40 and 10 a game and every game with over 300 points, I'm here for it!
Advertisement
26-11-2020, 21:01   #85
ButtersSuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtersSuki View Post
Is there a worse ex-player pundit than Kendrick Perkins?
F*cking Perkins again talking serious sh*t across numerous shows again. How the f*ck he has a job is a great mystery.
26-11-2020, 21:02   #86
ButtersSuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carcharodon View Post
Just listened to the Podcast “Whistleblower” by journalist Livingston. It’s a series of short episodes detailing the accounts of referee Tm Donaghy betting scandal, there is a ton of very interesting stuff in there, some of it blew me away but can’t say Iam surprised at all even if a tiny portion of the accusations are true regarding the shenanigans within the NBA
Apologies if it was brought up already, I sure the likes of Butters and co have probably listened to it
I knew the story of Donaghy but so much more to the story as it’s told m the podcast series.
I’ve read and listened to tonnes on Donaghy, but not that. Thanks for the tip! Will give it a listen at the weekend.
Thanks from:
28-11-2020, 10:35   #87
ButtersSuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carcharodon View Post
4 episodes in and a few nuggets alright. The access to Donaghy takes this to a née level. How Scott Foster is still refereeing is amazing really given the association - whether he technically bet or not.

Don’t think I’ve ever heard a podcast with so many ads though! It’s like watching US tv, ads every couple of minutes.
28-11-2020, 13:40   #88
Carcharodon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtersSuki View Post
4 episodes in and a few nuggets alright. The access to Donaghy takes this to a née level. How Scott Foster is still refereeing is amazing really given the association - whether he technically bet or not.

Don’t think I’ve ever heard a podcast with so many ads though! It’s like watching US tv, ads every couple of minutes.
I know, at least you can forward through them, the podcast can be a little repetitive but it just reinforces my thoughts on how staged the NBA can be and the impact refs have on the game, whether it’s due to corruption, influence by league commissioner, or plain arrogance, it takes away from the game.
I’ve been growing a little bit frustrated with the NBA the past few years, it’s such a greedy sport (as are most pro sports) but I am not sure if I ll renew by season tickets, it’s a lot of money, When the team is bad, the lack of effort is infuriating and you lose so much money by not getting a fair resale value (I get the hypocrisy, was getting way over paid in resale during the glory days but it’s tough to justify it now especially with Covid)
Thanks from:
28-11-2020, 13:52   #89
LuckyLloyd
The Voice of Reason

As a fan in any sport, loads of things are great and correct when you’re winning championships and the inverse is true when you’re not!
Thanks from:
28-11-2020, 15:35   #90
Carcharodon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
As a fan in any sport, loads of things are great and correct when you’re winning championships and the inverse is true when you’re not!
100% Agree, as is life.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion