Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2020 Regular Season Thread

Options
123457»

Comments

Have been following the postseason on and off ,after the rout Wednesday night i thought the dodgers might take off especially with Kershaw going last night but give credit to Atlanta . Surely if the Dodgers are beaten here its the end of the line for Roberts ? . Hoping the Rays and Braves get it done tonight would make for an interesting world series .

I was thinking that about Roberts too. I wonder who they could get to replace him.
    It's generally been pitching that has cost the Dodgers series over the last few years. There hasn't been a playoff pitcher who has gone out and been lights out. Even when the Dodgers shut out a team, there have always been an inning or two where things have looked dicey.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭rebelyell99

I mean I like Kershaw I get that hes one of the best pitchers in the game ,but the guy simply hasnt delivered in October time and time again when the pressure has been on . Roberts should have taken him out after the 5th last night .

I mean I like Kershaw I get that hes one of the best pitchers in the game ,but the guy simply hasnt delivered in October time and time again when the pressure has been on . Roberts should have taken him out after the 5th last night .

Absolutely. He has had moments of class in the playoffs, but they are few and far between. Even his regular season play over the last 4(?) seasons has been a bit better than average. He's a number 3 or 4 pitcher in a rotation now.
    Still love him though :D
    So happy I got to see him pitch a few seasons ago in Dodgers stadium

Nope not looking good at all.
    Might be closing this thread tonight :P

I'm optimistic that we can win tonight behind May. Then should have Walker Buehler tomorrow.
    Definitely need everything to go right. Gotta treat it like the Red Sox in 04 and 07, and just make sure that we win the next game. Luckily Dave Roberts was heavily involved then

Realistic opinion - Braves win tonight
    Hopeful opinion - Dodgers in 7

Game 7 tonight. Going to be tense.
    Game isn't until 1am, so won't get to watch it unfortunately.
    Anderson, the pitcher for the Braves tonight has been great during the playoffs. Yet to give up a run.
    Say Dodgers will use a flurry of pitchers. Probably starting with Goslin.
    Negative prediction is that the Dodgers lead 1-0 in the 8th and Kershaw takes over, and Freeman takes him deep for a 3 run home run, and that's the end of the scoring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Congrets to the Rays for making it to the World Series. And fair play to the Dodgers for leveling the series with the Braves. Should be one hell of a game 7

• Advertisement

Game 7 tonight. Going to be tense.
    Game isn't until 1am, so won't get to watch it unfortunately.
    Anderson, the pitcher for the Braves tonight has been great during the playoffs. Yet to give up a run.
    Say Dodgers will use a flurry of pitchers. Probably starting with Goslin.
    Negative prediction is that the Dodgers lead 1-0 in the 8th and Kershaw takes over, and Freeman takes him deep for a 3 run home run, and that's the end of the scoring

Yeah, pitching looks like its going to be an issue for you. I was reading about the possibility of brining Kershaw in. Its risky but you may have no choice.

On plus you do have momentum.

I'll be back on tomorrow morning hopefully to congratulate you.

Woop woop.
    On to the World Series now. Going to be tricky against the Rays.
    Imagine it will be a more lower scoring series, than that against the Braves.

With the bank holiday weekend coming up, I potentially might only miss games 1 & 2.
    All games look to start at 1am

Woop woop.
    On to the World Series now. Going to be tricky against the Rays.
    Imagine it will be a more lower scoring series, than that against the Braves.

With the bank holiday weekend coming up, I potentially might only miss games 1 & 2.
    All games look to start at 1am

Congrats. You must be on cloud 9. Fair play to the Dodgers. That was some come back.

Enjoy the rest of the ride.

ShyMets wrote: »
    Congrats. You must be on cloud 9. Fair play to the Dodgers. That was some come back.

Enjoy the rest of the ride.

Cautiously optimistic. Supposed it's our third World Series in the last four years, so not too excited yet.
    The sports fan in me, thinks coming back from 3-1 down to win 4-3 is almost a positive omen - Red Sox vs Indians in 07 (or 06?). Cubs vs Indians in 16. Cleveland Cavs vs GS Warriors in 17
    Wow, Cleveland has been in a lot of these series
    Dodgers vs Rays also reminds me a lot of Galway vs Waterford in the hurling a few years ago. One team who has been in many recent finals, but failed to win one, versus a smaller underdog. All of these point towards Dodgers finally getting across the line

The scientific head on me, realizes that past series have no impact on the World Series this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,950 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Possible wrinkle in the Mets sale approval - NYC. Apparently one of Cohen's employees ended up with a felony conviction. A clause in NYC leases of 'important cultural sites' or some such require the City to approve sales to people who have employed felons.

Sigh. Only the Mets. And I'm sure this will all wash away in a sea of green.

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2020/10/21/bill-de-blasio-new-york-mets-sale-steve-cohen/6005796002/

• Advertisement

Woke up with the wind last night, just in time for the last batter.
    Some finish to the game. Hard to be too annoyed.
    Just need to get the W tonight behind Kershaw

*dancing*

• Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Igotadose wrote: »
    Possible wrinkle in the Mets sale approval - NYC. Apparently one of Cohen's employees ended up with a felony conviction. A clause in NYC leases of 'important cultural sites' or some such require the City to approve sales to people who have employed felons.

Sigh. Only the Mets. And I'm sure this will all wash away in a sea of green.

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2020/10/21/bill-de-blasio-new-york-mets-sale-steve-cohen/6005796002/

You didn’t think it was going to be straightforward did you ? What is it about sports team in that area ending in ETS where if they threw a fiver in the air it’s come up as a summons ? Was shea stadium cursed ?

*dancing*

Nothing like that feeling. Congratulations. Grrr...1988...Grrr...

Nothing like that feeling. Congratulations. Grrr...1988...Grrr...

It was a strange one. I felt very relaxed throughout the whole series. Always felt like we'd have to beat ourselves rather than the Rays beat us.
    Very different from the series against the Astros and Red Sox in 17 and 18.

Stayed up for the first two innings last night. Wife had moved into another bed last night due to the noise of the wind. I couldnt sleep properly, and kept an eye on my phone. Refused to stream the game, as I worried that I wouldn't turn it off.
    Finally caved in the 6th, just in time to see both Dodgers runs.

Strange situation with Turner. Wonder will anything come from that.
    Interested in seeing where the Dodgers add players for next season. Could improve in left field potentially, and probably need to think about a new closer.

It was a strange one. I felt very relaxed throughout the whole series. Always felt like we'd have to beat ourselves rather than the Rays beat us.
    Very different from the series against the Astros and Red Sox in 17 and 18.

Stayed up for the first two innings last night. Wife had moved into another bed last night due to the noise of the wind. I couldnt sleep properly, and kept an eye on my phone. Refused to stream the game, as I worried that I wouldn't turn it off.
    Finally caved in the 6th, just in time to see both Dodgers runs.

Strange situation with Turner. Wonder will anything come from that.
    Interested in seeing where the Dodgers add players for next season. Could improve in left field potentially, and probably need to think about a new closer.

Congrats. Fully deserved World Series. Its not always that the best team in the regular season wins in the Post Season.

Cant believe its their first title since 1988. For some reason I thought they had won one more recently.

Anyway looking forward to a Dodgers v Mets World Series last year

Oh so the Chicago white sox hiring tony La Russa as their manager(again) wasn’t stupid Twitter rumour. Well okay then. He’s in his mid seventies so some on that team could be younger then his grandchildren. I take it La Russa isn’t an analytics guy which may be a good thing.

Looks like AJ Hinch will be rejoining the managerial world with the Tigers

Mets sale finally approved! Finally something good happens in 2020

https://nypost.com/2020/10/30/steve-cohens-purchase-of-mets-approved-by-mlb/

Mets sale finally approved! Finally something good happens in 2020

https://nypost.com/2020/10/30/steve-cohens-purchase-of-mets-approved-by-mlb/

The Wilpons are gone. A day to rejoice. Free agency starts tomorrow. It will be interesting to see how the Mets approach it. I fully expect them to make some kind of splash.

The only disappointment is that BVW is still there. But hopefully not for much longer

• Advertisement

The Wilpons are gone. A day to rejoice. Free agency starts tomorrow. It will be interesting to see how the Mets approach it. I fully expect them to make some kind of splash.

The only disappointment is that BVW is still there. But hopefully not for much longer

GM's come and go. Owners have a habit of being there a very long time. This is a good day. The Wilpons were a drag on and a cloud over this team since Madoff. An amazing run in 2015 made their tenure look slightly respectable, but that was the only time under their exclusive ownership the team got close.

Good riddance, Wilponzis!

Brodie Van Wagenen is leaving hid position as GM. No great surprise. Delighted to see the back of him

Brodie Van Wagenen is leaving hid position as GM. No great surprise. Delighted to see the back of him

Have there been any agents as GM's prior to BVW? He was a pretty lousy GM overall.

Not sure how long Sandy Alderson lasts, hopefully not very. Time to clean house completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Well that was a costly decision from Cano.....

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1329160113878413316?s=20

kmart6 wrote: »

And just very mets.

kmart6 wrote: »

Guess that explains his numbers last season. Jeff McNell can step in and be the everyday second baseman.

Not sure what it means from a salary point of view

Advertisement