Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Heavyweight Boxing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

I think Fury is going to make AJ look silly ,
    Just like he did Wlad the veteran who froze and just like he did Wilder,

He's just to good at the art of boxing , to clever and to slick Aj's to robotic and stiff to get to him

Fury is just at home in there ,he'll will find a way to win like he does,

You seen AJ V Ruiz 2 he was scared to death and falling over himself every time Ruiz came near him, Stiff and panicking that he will get hit , if Ruiz was any where near the shape of the first fight he could have ko'd him again ,

To me one of them is a born boxer/fighter the other is highly tuned athlete who boxes,

In fairness Fury never made Wlad look silly. Thats stretching it. Fight was an absolute stinker.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,579 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Blanco100 wrote: »
    In fairness Fury never made Wlad look silly. Thats stretching it. Fight was an absolute stinker.

Yep..

I cannot get my head around d anyone suggesting either man made the other look silly..

Both looked as clumsy and inept and silly as each other..

Horrible spectacle..

And if AJ attempts to fight as cowardly and timid as Wlad did, then I hope he gets humiliated!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,511 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Blanco100 wrote: »

So your telling Wald a absolute veteran , a 10 year champion with a devastating right hand didn't look extremely silly standing there unable to let his hands go , unable to put any kind of attack together while Fury the complete under dog stole rounds and his title's without receiving a scratch in Wlads back yard,

As you said it was an absolute stinker Wlad looked like a novice and had no answer to what Fury ,

There more than one way to skin a cat , Fury done what he had to WIN and Wlad had no answers ,

Wlad did look like a novice..

But so did Fury..

Both were as bad as each other, regardless of the result and scores...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,659 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

walshb wrote: »
    Wlad did look like a novice..

But so did Fury..

Both were as bad as each other, regardless of the result and scores...

ive rewatched the fight several times, thats a massive disservice imo.

• Advertisement

Cyrus wrote: »

Ok, so maybe both looked better than novices..

The key here is both: neither man at all shone from what I saw..

And if you really did watch that spectacle several times, I hope it wasn’t too painful to your eyes and head!

Ok, so maybe both looked better than novices..

The key here is both: neither man at all shone from what I saw..

And if you really did watch that spectacle several times, I hope it wasn’t too painful to your eyes and head!

the point is that one man was the dominant heavy weight champion of his era, still in his prime, boxing effectively in a home venue,

the other was a huge underdog.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

100%. It was a defensive masterclass picking his times to snatch round after round. It wasnt even defensive, he never gave Wlad a chance

If Mayweather did it then people would be raving

the point is that one man was the dominant heavy weight champion of his era, still in his prime, boxing effectively in a home venue,

the other was a huge underdog.

Not sure what this has to do with anything..

Not sure why this is the point..

Simple: I thought both looked as bad as each other..I don’t need to find an excuse for them both looking as bad as each other. They just performed that way that night..

Do I give Fury a pass for looking poor because he was an underdog? No!

gypsy79 wrote: »

If Mayweather did it then people would be raving

Yes, they would. Not me.

That man has gotten way too much credit for stinking the joint out on defense alone..

Ludicrous!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Yes, they would. Not me.

That man has gotten way too much credit for stinking the joint out on defense alone..

Ludicrous!

Then this should be end of discussion. We will never agree. I didnt love Mayweather but Fury did exactly the same when there was real peril in front of him

While it wasnt exciting to watch, it was a damn impressive fine performance. Possibly better than both his Wilder outings

He has shown now he can win fights many ways, which makes him a great and a very difficult opponent to fight against because predicting what he will do is very tough

Not sure what this has to do with anything..

Not sure why this is the point..

Simple: I thought both looked as bad as each other..I don’t need to find an excuse for them both looking as bad as each other. They just performed that way that night..

Do I give Fury a pass for looking poor because he was an underdog? No!

if you arent impressed with someone shutting out the dominant heavyweight champ of his era as a massive underdog fighting away then nothing i can say will sway you.

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Then this should be end of discussion. We will never agree. I didnt love Mayweather but Fury did exactly the same when there was real peril in front of him

Real peril?

This is just it: Wlad fought like a fooking windbag the whole night..

Fury deserved the verdict..

Anyone claiming it was remotely close to some masterclass is ridiculous..

Terrible fight. Terrible spectacle.....and neither man looked close to great..

I could see an arm chair causal fan not liking the fight but Walshb im convoinced your letting your dislike for Fury the person cloud your view of tha fight,

Fighting an unbeaten champion of 10 years in his back yard, one who has a somewhat legendary right hand ,
    Why would you go to entertain the fans ??? you go with the plan to win and win by any means possible,

As one of the lads said it was exactly what Floyd does win rounds by any means possible, You don't have to outbox someone or knock them out , Your job is to win more rounds, Fury stole round and done it brilliantly , It was Fury who made sure a fight or technical boxing match did not take place,

I once seen a great interview with Andre Berto talking about how when he fought Floyd it was unlike anything he had ever experienced , It wasn't boxing it was game to win rounds,
    He said Floyd would hit him and grab him and tell him in the clinch that's one for me so you need the next one and rinse and repeat and say **** like" Oh only 1 minute left and you need a few shots to catch up " ,

I think Fury pulled something similar off on Wlad that night in Germany,
    Wlad did not have a clue how to react as Fury just stole round and made sure a boxing match didn't break out ,

Fury won. Deserved to.

I am hardly alone thinking the spectacle was poor..

Seen several here say similar..and they are not blow-in armchair fans.

You don’t have to like or dislike a boxer to give an honest view of a fight/performance...

All this needs to be removed..

Maybe it’s the other way around? Fury fans unable to call a performance as being poor..

Fair enough, if someone rated it as very good. That’s fine.

I just didn’t see it that particular night..

I have seen Fury perform better; albeit different opponents. I get this..

Maybe it’s the other way around? Fury fans unable to call a performance as being poor..

he won the unified heavyweight championship against a dominant champion, you cant look at that fight and leave that context out, its not like it was a tune up against a can.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Was Fury who made the fight the bore that it was by completely nullifying Wlad. Did what nobody else before or after him could do and he deserves a huge amount of credit for it. Just because it wasn't nice on the eyes doesn't take away from the effectiveness of the performance. Best win by a heavyweight in the last decade+ by an absolute mile.

Do think overall the narrative around that fight has become a bit distorted though. Great win and fully deserved but pretty sure I had it 116-112 Fury. Lot of difficult rounds to score. Wasn't the one-sided masterclass that some people let on it was.

Nowhere near a masterclass

7-5 for me.

Nowhere near a masterclass

7-5 for me.

In context it was a master class, No one came close to doing that to Wlad for 10 years, Fury made the fight a ****e show and Wlad could do nothing about it,

But of course everyone is entitled to there opinion on it and I guess it shows people look for different things from boxing,

Lets hope we have more big fights like this to discuss in the future .

After all its discussions & opinions that make this place enjoyable ,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭stockshares

Tyson v Jones press conference tonight.

Can't see either this or the fight ending well.

https://tysonontriller.com/

• Advertisement

This whole thing is sad

• Registered Users Posts: 12,445 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

This whole thing is sad

Ah its a bit of craic

The Nal wrote: »
    Ah its a bit of craic

I think whoever talked them into this did not have there best interest at heart,

It could be seriously embarrassing for one of them or both,
    At there age and past experience they don't need that and I'm not sure if Tyson in particular could handle a bad loss in this ,

Iv always of the opinion it was best for his mental state to get away form fighting , He says himself is an ego maniac and I just don't see this turning out well for him ,

Obviously both grown men and can make there mind up but I for one wont be watching , its needless ,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭stockshares

Press conference last night
    https://youtu.be/6OyN0049LXM

4 fights on the bill.

Mike and Roy from 49mins in

• Registered Users Posts: 9,923 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Usyk 217 lbs
    Chisora 255 lbs

Usyk same weight as a prime Tyson...

Chisora a sack a sh1t.

Chisora a sack a sh1t.

Best shape of his life according to Sky Sports

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Could you imagine the uproar if Usyk painted himself black for the weigh in.

Best shape of his life according to Sky Sports

No doubt Roy and Mike the same next month

• Advertisement

No doubt Roy and Mike the same next month

Well at least Mike and Roy have been in great shape before.

Advertisement