Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Current stories in after hours.

Options
  • 02-02-2020 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭

It's not a big issue but something I want to bring up is I remember a while back the CA (which I like) forum was created to keep media stories away from AH. I've noticed recently there's a few threads like the corona virus and the London stabbing are in AH. Surely these should be in CA. Its just my personal opinion but I think it works better when AH and CA are seperate so I can have some light hearted fun and keep the serious stuff to another time.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The London incident threads were merged and moved after someone reported asking for that

The virus one has gained a lot of traction in AH, but equally if you think better in CA then report and ask the mods to move

Equally there's a "Brexit Day" thread - not looked at it, but would guess it is taking a light hearted approach to the topic - I know that's also the approach within CA, but it does cater for a level perhaps somewhere between AH and the likes of Politics in terms of "quality" of debate

• Registered Users Posts: 10,526 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Some excellent points there, P.

That “Amber Heard/Johnny Depp” thread is an example of a thread suited for the “Current Affairs” forum.

If they aren’t moved quick enough the CA posters start to “infect” the other AH threads. Those type of posters should be kept in CA where their brand of bigoted misogyny is accepted.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Beasty wrote: »
    The London incident threads were merged and moved after someone reported asking for that

The virus one has gained a lot of traction in AH, but equally if you think better in CA then report and ask the mods to move

Equally there's a "Brexit Day" thread - not looked at it, but would guess it is taking a light hearted approach to the topic - I know that's also the approach within CA, but it does cater for a level perhaps somewhere between AH and the likes of Politics in terms of "quality" of debate[/quote
    Fair point and as I said above it's not something I'm mad about but I liked it when the CA forum was set up so if you wanted something light hearted you head to AH or for more serious stuff CA was there. All good though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

I just moved the virus thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Some excellent points there, P.

That “Amber Heard/Johnny Depp” thread is an example of a thread suited for the “Current Affairs” forum.

If they aren’t moved quick enough the CA posters start to “infect” the other AH threads. Those type of posters should be kept in CA where their brand of bigoted misogyny is accepted.

Heavens forbid they should ‘infect’ any of the knuckle dragging threads like the toilet thread.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Heavens forbid they should ‘infect’ any of the knuckle dragging threads like the toilet thread.

I'm more concerned about that virus thread and what it may spread across the forum now someone has moved it:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Beasty wrote: »
    I'm more concerned about that virus thread and what it may spread across the forum now someone has moved it:pac::pac:

It would have been good to keep the Coronavirus one in AH, the Amber Heard one should be moved alright.

Coronavirus thread isn’t really a contentious type thread, plus CA already had their version of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Most of that thread is fine imo, bar the odd nutter comment, but that's to be expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,526 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Most of that thread is fine imo, bar the odd nutter comment, but that's to be expected.

Yes, from a “Current Affairs” type poster. If the thread doesn’t get moved those “nutter” comments start to pop up in other threads and then multiply.

The moving “action” needs to be quicker if the integrity of “After Hours” is to be preserved.

The tide is turning…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Yes, from a “Current Affairs” type poster. If the thread doesn’t get moved those “nutter” comments start to pop up in other threads and then multiply.

The moving “action” needs to be quicker if the integrity of “After Hours” is to be preserved.

Agreed, the nutters should be confined to CA, it would even help if they could be easily identified too, maybe tag them, just in case they start floating,

• Advertisement
Advertisement