Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

3 bay slatted shed costs 2017/18

Options
  • 05-10-2017 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi,

I'm hoping to put up a 3 bay slatted shed next year. I'm putting in a 14ft 6 slat, two agitating points. A frame shed, 10ft creep area/calving pens, and 14ft feed passage. Plan on putting barriers at the back of each pen alot with a small gate to the creep area. I'm not going for the grant. I'm wondering if any of you have put up similar sheds or size tank? Looking for rough costs? Opinions on slats, gates, barriers and so on??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,206 ✭✭✭tanko

Cant help you with the costs but im curious why you wouldnt go for the grant?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Paddydans

tanko wrote: »
    Cant help you with the costs but im curious why you wouldnt go for the grant?

If I go for it a grant I'll have to get full planning permission, only need written permission from one man next door going down the other route. As an unqualified farmer I'd be entitled to 40% grant, but weighing it up from a few people I've spoken to, most have said that it works out at roughly the same cos. I don't plan on cutting corners on the important stuff, but some things for grant spec are a bit over the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭shrek008

Just did one, 3 bay 14'6" tank, grant spec, 400mm walls on tank as shed is sitting on them,stone included but not digging out,€8500. 14'6" tractor slats €3500. All prices ex vat

shrek008 wrote: »
    Just did one, 3 bay 14'6" tank, grant spec, 400mm walls on tank as shed is sitting on them,stone included but not digging out,€8500. 14'6" tractor slats €3500. All prices ex vat
    Thanks, I had a figure of €20,000 Inc. To be finished to ground level, have a good bit of fill to put in on one side, and concrete would probably be on the dearer side because I'm 20 miles from the nearest concrete plant. Who did you buy the slats from?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭shrek008

Paddydans wrote: »
    Thanks, I had a figure of €20,000 Inc. To be finished to ground level, have a good bit of fill to put in on one side, and concrete would probably be on the dearer side because I'm 20 miles from the nearest concrete plant. Who did you buy the slats from?
    Harringtons. Concrete prices vary hugely, so do plenty of shopping around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Tyson Lannister

Hi,

I'm hoping to put up a 3 bay slatted shed next year. I'm putting in a 14ft 6 slat, two agitating points. A frame shed, 10ft creep area/calving pens, and 14ft feed passage. Plan on putting barriers at the back of each pen alot with a small gate to the creep area. I'm not going for the grant. I'm wondering if any of you have put up similar sheds or size tank? Looking for rough costs? Opinions on slats, gates, barriers and so on??

It sounds like you're going for a planning exemption when you mention needing
    A signature from the man next door. You know there's no problem getting the grant from a section 5 exemption as opposed to full planning right?

It sounds like you're going for a planning exemption when you mention needing
    A signature from the man next door. You know there's no problem getting the grant from a section 5 exemption as opposed to full planning right?

Never knew that Tyson, who would be best to go to, to find out all the ins and outs of it, teagasc??

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Farmer

Just my 2 cents
    Go 14 foot creep and stick a crush along the back wall. 10 in a bit tight even just as a creep. You need comfort getting a tractor in and out

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭rushvalley

Farmer wrote: »
    Just my 2 cents
    Go 14 foot creep and stick a crush along the back wall. 10 in a bit tight even just as a creep. You need comfort getting a tractor in and out

Definitely go as wide as you can for the creep. The creep on our shed is only 10 feet and if I was doing it again I'd definitely make the creep wider.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭FeelTheBern

Never knew that Tyson, who would be best to go to, to find out all the ins and outs of it, teagasc??

Teagasc have subcontracted the whole thing out to external crowd so think most Teagasc advisors haven't a clue bout this. There are lads advertising that do the plans full time - give few of them a call and you'll get good idea over phone.

If you can go with the exemption then I'd strongly advise applying for the grant. Not too much to it other than time delay and to be honest I can't see where all these big savings are to be made in doing without grant - except for bit of steel (which you may need anyway for bigger width tanks) most of other costs for tank will be all the same. Unless you're planning on doing lot of work yourself I think that the talk of grant not being worth it is bit of a red herring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Looking at theIFJ, tis gas a few week ago you could put up a shed for €25000, now this week you need close to €1m!! :D The price of steel whaa!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Just my 2 cents

Is that 14ft + crush or 14ft - crush?

Just my 2 cents

Have a crush in the existing yard next to where we hope to put this shed. A few friends have put on an extension to the back of their 3 and 4 bay sheds, extending 10 feet to the rear of the creep pens. Taking out one of the back walls of an end bay , crush running for 2 to 3 bays, crush in the centre with both sides of the crush raised up about a foot, makes life very easy when testing or dosing, would maybe think of doing something similar well down the line but at the moment our crush set up is pretty good

Teagasc have subcontracted the whole thing out to external crowd so think most Teagasc advisors haven't a clue bout this. There are lads advertising that do the plans full time - give few of them a call and you'll get good idea over phone.

Ya I'd like to see what people think of the grant, like I said im only going on what a few local people have been telling me. There isn't much info online with regards to farm sheds

rushvalley wrote: »
    Definitely go as wide as you can for the creep. The creep on our shed is only 10 feet and if I was doing it again I'd definitely make the creep wider.

Do you think putting it at 12 feet would be enough or go wider again??

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭bt12

thinking of putting up a 2 bay slatted shed, 14.5ft slat (might go 16.5ft) with
    a covered feed passage 15ft, thinking of applying for grant as I should qualify
    for 60%, what sort of price should this roughly cost,? dunno am I better off not going grant route?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

With lads thinking of putting up sheds, given the last few years we’ve had ..
    Would putting a tank under the feed passage as extra storage be an option.
    Easier done the first day

• Registered Users Posts: 18,154 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I can never see the advantage of not going for a grant. If you do maximize the size of creep area's and slats. For what it will cost you extra you will make up in the allowances as you are granted aided for the shed part by the sq meter. Even if you need to get full planning I would still go that route. The disadvantage of not getting proper planning is that if you ever want to do another grant job you need to sort planning anyway.

Remember as well you can include own labour and any machinery used to maximize grant if you are below specified costs.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭massey265

Would any off yous have a link for grants available to un qualified farmer like myself, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭FeelTheBern

massey265 wrote: »
    Would any off yous have a link for grants available to un qualified farmer like myself, thanks

You don't need any educational qualifications for the standard 40% grant. Just google Tams 2 dept of agric and you'll find all the info on their website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Farmer

Is that 14ft + crush or 14ft - crush?

Sorry about delay, been distracted from boards for a while

About 11.5 to 12 creep so roughly 14 all in.
    Crush indoors is great value on a wet day or for cow that won't let calf suck etc. Obviously you don't need to fit it at build time if cash is short

I have side gates instead of bars so when the creep pens are in use, the crush acts as a shortcut for me up to the far pen and also as a safety escape when working with newly calved cows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

massey265 wrote: »
    This should cover most of the stuff.
    https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/farmerschemespayments/tams/

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭cacs

Have a crush in the existing yard next to where we hope to put this shed. A few friends have put on an extension to the back of their 3 and 4 bay sheds, extending 10 feet to the rear of the creep pens. Taking out one of the back walls of an end bay , crush running for 2 to 3 bays, crush in the centre with both sides of the crush raised up about a foot, makes life very easy when testing or dosing, would maybe think of doing something similar well down the line but at the moment our crush set up is pretty good
    Would you have a photo of what your friend done I am trying to do something like this and I can’t figure out the best way. Pm me if you want thanks cathal

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Tyson Lannister

I can send you on plans of few different sheds if you want them- I do planning applications for teagasc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Dunedin

I can send you on plans of few different sheds if you want them- I do planning applications for teagasc.

hi Tyson,

any chance of any drawings you might have a for two bay slatted with lie back/calving pens and a walkway to leave straw/meal etc (and be able to check on cows without getting half killed).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,206 ✭✭✭tanko

Dunedin wrote: »
    hi Tyson,

any chance of any drawings you might have a for two bay slatted with lie back/calving pens and a walkway to leave straw/meal etc (and be able to check on cows without getting half killed).

Have you considered a three bay shed, it mightnt cost all that much more and you would have an extra bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Have you considered a three bay shed, it mightnt cost all that much more and you would have an extra bay.

Wouldn't have the space for a 3 bay unfortunately as want to keep in the yard close to other sheds. . Two bay fits in nicely and will give me enough as have 2 other slatted sheds so a two bay would do the job.

Would you have a photo of what your friend done I am trying to do something like this and I can’t figure out the best way. Pm me if you want thanks cathal

Will send on a few pics later in the week

That would be great Tyson, pm them to me if that suits. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Was considering a 2 bay will go for the grant and build a three bay now for the extra space as the saying goes rather have it and be looking at it rather than looking for it.

Advertisement