Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recommendation for a well-written Horror/ Dark Thriller book

Options
  • 22-09-2019 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭

I've really enjoyed reading books by fantastic writers of the English language such as Bill Bryson, Amor Towles and Christopher Hitchens. Is there anyone in the horror genre who would have a similar reputation? Now that the evenings are getting dark and dreary I fancy picking up a good horror (or dark thriller) book.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 MistyLines

Hi there, I haven't read this one myself but am planning on making it my Halloween read this year..... This House is Haunted by John Boyne. I've seen it come very highly recommended in a book group I follow. I hope it's as good as they say! :) I like his style of writing, not sure if you are a fan or not. I don't read too many in this genre but I'm looking to start!

https://www.bookdepository.com/This-House-is-Haunted-John-Boyne/9780552778428

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

"Those across the river" by Christopher Buelhman is a horror novel with a literary bent.

It follows a world war one veteran and his bride who inherit a house in a dilapidated southern town. The townsfolk never cross the river to where an old slave plantation lies. Something evil therein lurks etc.

It's a period drama and horror, dealing with themes of intergenerational guilt, the slave trade and so on.

A little more accessible and very enjoyable is "Fevre Dream" by George RR Martin (Yes, he of Game of Thrones fame). Also, funnily enough, a southern horror novel set during the riverboat era. A captain is approached by a wealthy man to build a fantastic riverboat which will travel up and down the Mississippi. This patron and his companions, however, only ever come out at night and a terrible bodycount follows in their wake.

Mister B. Gone by Clive Barker was great fun.

It's the first person autobiography of a demon whose soul is trapped in the very book you are reading. He tells the story of how he travelled from Hell to 14th century Europe, and how he got trapped in the book. If you finish the book, you will release the demon who intends to kill you. As he realises you are still reading he warns you constantly to burn the book, just stop reading, and eventually to pass it on to someone you hate. Or else he's coming to get you.

I actually started to get a little nervous towards the last couple of pages! :o:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I’d recommend Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindquist.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Just finished and enjoyed In the Night Wood by Dale Bailey.

It's a modern haunted house/gothic horror.
    Would definitely recommend it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement