Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DEPRESSION SUPPORT- Anonymous posting is possible, see note in post #1.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

whelan2 wrote: »
    Highly recommend this book for the person going through it and those caring for them

Or those who have to cope with depression alone while caring for others. Not everyone who is depressed has people to help out and put hands under their feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

I don't know, the whole "depression" tag seems to have been blow out of all preprosion, I know of at least three people in our circle that are using the depression thing to claim disability, they're well able to work but couldn't be bothered getting up out of bed in the morning to go to work, it's the rest of us who as Leo said get up early in the morning who are paying for they're so called disability:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,104 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Don't know anyone who fits the scenario you paint. I must move in different circles.

Water John wrote: »
    Don't know anyone who fits the scenario you paint. I must move in different circles.

Maybe "circle" was the wrong word to use, these are people that we see every weekend in the local pub, they're no more depressed than my dog but it's a nice easy way for them to get out of working for a living and get an easy €200 a week from the state

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

GoneHome wrote: »
    I don't know, the whole "depression" tag seems to have been blow out of all preprosion, I know of at least three people in our circle that are using the depression thing to claim disability, they're well able to work but couldn't be bothered getting up out of bed in the morning to go to work, it's the rest of us who as Leo said get up early in the morning who are paying for they're so called disability:rolleyes:
    Maybe "circle" was the wrong word to use, these are people that we see every weekend in the local pub, they're no more depressed than my dog but it's a nice easy way for them to get out of working for a living and get an easy €200 a week from the state

Mod note It's easy to judge others from the outside, but you never know what is going on inside someone else's head. Let's keep it on topic please.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Half of what you hear in the pub is exaggerated, the other half wouldn't be 100% genuine. It's possible their depression is genuine and put up a front. Only one person knows what's going on between the ears

ganmo wrote: »
    Half of what you hear in the pub is exaggerated, the other half wouldn't be 100% genuine. It's possible their depression is genuine and put up a front. Only one person knows what's going on between the ears

That's fine, believe what you want, I'm only telling you about the reality of what I see and hear, they're laughing in us tax payers face

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

This is an incredibly ignorant post. Yes there probably are a minority as you describe above, however you cannot just jump to the conclusion then that the whole depression tag is blown out of preportion as a result. Especially in the context of this subforum (farming), where mental health has absolutely been swept under the rug throughout the ages, long working hours, physical labour, isolation, family problems etc etc.

I can guarantee you that if you sat down and listened to and had some empathy for a person with a genuine mental illness then you would very very quickly change your opinion above. Especially if its someone you are very close to, and you should actually count yourself lucky if you don't have any family members etc who have suffered.

Timmaay wrote: »
    This is an incredibly ignorant post. Yes there probably are a minority as you describe above, however you cannot just jump to the conclusion then that the whole depression tag is blown out of preportion as a result. Especially in the context of this subforum (farming), where mental health has absolutely been swept under the rug throughout the ages, long working hours, physical labour, isolation, family problems etc etc.

I can guarantee you that if you sat down and listened to and had some empathy for a person with a genuine mental illness then you would very very quickly change your opinion above. Especially if its someone you are very close to, and you should actually count yourself lucky if you don't have any family members etc who have suffered.

Believe me I have had a family member went through geniune depression, an uncle living on his own trying to run a farm, he eventiuly leased the place and moved into a house in town, the best decision he ever made, he's happy out now, meals on wheels bring him his dinner every day, he goes down to the pub for a couple of pints every night, goes on day trips with the active retirement group etc, he was never happier.

That might have been more stress than depression. Them and anxiety are close relatives, one may lead to the other but are different problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,055 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Wasnt going to post but here goes. It might be long. My sister has anxiety and depression at the moment. This is going on since the end of April. We initially thought it was a relapse of her ms but after 2 weeks on steroids and an MRI it wasnt the cause. She found it very hard to get out of bed in the mornings, physically could not get out of bed. She would improve later on in the day. I spent many days with her. She started getting panic attacks too. She was admitted to a psychiatric hospital in June. We thought our prayers had been answered. We thought she would be in there a while and would come home fixed. They discharged her after 10 days to wait for the meds to work. That was 4 weeks ago. The meds have not kicked in yet. Mornings are just spent in bed. She continuously chants I am useless, I hate myself. Over and over again. In the evening time youd think there was nothing wrong with her. She has had to give up her job which doesn't help her mental state. She also has a husband and 2 Kids.
    So to anyone who scoffs at people with depression or anxiety or any mental illness come spend a day in my shoes at the minute. It ain't pretty

Could be amatuer on this but for me meds would take about 6 weeks to kick in. It can be worse during this time. They make have to tweak them as well, sort of trial an error.
    Never was any where near you sister, never hospitalised and very few would know. A lot of people think I'm very laid back. Having analysed it I can trace it back to the death of my father when I was six and a half. No counselling then.Would have been 40 before I ground to a halt.
    Like Majella O'Donnell I have decided for myself to stay on low level medication probably for the rest of my life, esp because of that 6 weeks meds would need to kick in, for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

I would not call it a disability an illness that would be my reading of it and a serious illness at that, people feel very isolated people are talking more about it the more people cop on notice peoples behaviour the better.

Joe Daly wrote: »
    I would not call it a disability an illness that would be my reading of it and a serious illness at that, people feel very isolated people are talking more about it the more people cop on notice peoples behaviour the better.

That's it though it's not spoken of as an illness. People don't ring up and ask how treatment is going . They avoid you rather than ask. You get to know who your real friends are

• Registered Users Posts: 10,674 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

That's it though it's not spoken of as an illness. People don't ring up and ask how treatment is going . They avoid you rather than ask. You get to know who your real friends are

Has excercise being any help to her? Get out walking early and get the endorphines going.
    How are the kids coping with all this? I remember Patricia Redleich of the Irish Independent writing years ago that the worst physological damage she has seen were to those of children with a parent suffering from depression.

My own mother was diagnosed with psychotic depression, right before the onset of her dementia. The hospital were literally begging us to stay with her at night as they couldn't manage her. So, I've been there too.:mad:

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

Has excercise being any help to her? Get out walking early and get the endorphines going.
    How are the kids coping with all this? I remember Patricia Redleich of the Irish Independent writing years ago that the worst physological damage she has seen were to those of children with a parent suffering from depression.

My own mother was diagnosed with psychotic depression, right before the onset of her dementia. The hospital were literally begging us to stay with her at night as they couldn't manage her. So, I've been there too.:mad:

No she would be limited on the exercise front with the ms. We try to get her to go outside each day but she says if I do that I'm only doing it to please you not for myself. Same with getting dressed. Her kids are 15 and 12. The 15 year old would be fairly ok. They will both need counselling. At the moment the priority is to get my sister better. I was with her for a few hours this morning and I'd say there's a slight improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

On the way home from Galway Clinic after hernia repair op today. Bit sore but the drugs are doing the trick. Will be out of action for a little bit and have been warned to take it easy. Last time (on other side) I think I thought I was better than I was and I paid for it! Anyway, positive is that I can sit and watch all the games over the weekend guilt free. ��

Sorry meant to post this in Chit Chat....just realised.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭2018na

I hope things improve for you all soon whelan that’s a long time to be going through stuff like that. Fair play to you for doing all you can with her cause it’s obvious how busy you are running your farm and how passionate you are about farming. Better days might just be round the corner. Posted here once with a different user name when I was in horrid bad form and you were in really quickly offering encouraging words

• Registered Users Posts: 11,043 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Parishlad wrote: »
    On the way home from Galway Clinic after hernia repair op today. Bit sore but the drugs are doing the trick. Will be out of action for a little bit and have been warned to take it easy. Last time (on other side) I think I thought I was better than I was and I paid for it! Anyway, positive is that I can sit and watch all the games over the weekend guilt free. ��

I had a repair in 2012 and it ripped in a couple years, after retiring I got it done again last sept and it ripped again catching a sheep before christmas, OH wants me to go back again but I told her not until I get rid of the rest of ewes....no point otherwise.
    Its around my belly button so lifts me out of it when I lean against the sheep race to dose a lamb sometimes.
    So give yourself plenty time to heal

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

wrangler wrote: »
    I had a repair in 2012 and it ripped in a couple years, after retiring I got it done again last sept and it ripped again catching a sheep before christmas, OH wants me to go back again but I told her not until I get rid of the rest of ewes....no point otherwise.
    Its around my belly button so lifts me out of it when I lean against the sheep race to dose a lamb sometimes.
    So give yourself plenty time to heal

Yeah I can sometimes feel pressure on the one I got done three years ago if I am doing any heavy stuff.
    Anyway, apologies for posting in this thread. My problem will be sorted in a short time. A lot more serious things going on with people!

• Advertisement

No she would be limited on the exercise front with the ms. We try to get her to go outside each day but she says if I do that I'm only doing it to please you not for myself. Same with getting dressed. Her kids are 15 and 12. The 15 year old would be fairly ok. They will both need counselling. At the moment the priority is to get my sister better. I was with her for a few hours this morning and I'd say there's a slight improvement.

Big improvement today. Fingers crossed we are on the right road now.

Great news, and a great relief to you, I'm sure. It's amazing how effective the meds are, when they kick in.

Today is world suicide prevention day. It's ok not to be ok.

Today is my sister's birthday. A few months ago we would have been saying would she survive to see it. Anyway herself and her oh are gone abroad for the weekend. Still a good bit to go but she's well improved. Mental illness is a scary illness.

How are people coping at the moment? Crap weather, coronavirus etc. Alot going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,201 ✭✭✭tanko

Even with everything that's going on i don't think things are anywhere near as bad as 2013, at the moment anyway.
    I suppose this could change yet,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,119 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Coronavirus is the biggest worry. I'm not that worried for myself or OH as we can sit tight on the farm and busy ourselves with cleaning the yards, upgrading the fences, basic maintenance etc.

I'm more worried about my Sister (eldest sibling) who lives in Mam's house cause she is a prolific smoker all her life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭Dickie10

yea today it really hit me with a pang, usually i get on with all kinds of bad news /weather/farming mishaps etc by looking forward to something comiing up im into but today was just a black dark hole of nothing, brutal weather, no sport, fear for my parents of getting covid 19, i swear to christ i really need a stiff brandy or something its getting to me now, the weather is putting a top hat on it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Dickie10 wrote: »
    yea today it really hit me with a pang, usually i get on with all kinds of bad news /weather/farming mishaps etc by looking forward to something comiing up im into but today was just a black dark hole of nothing, brutal weather, no sport, fear for my parents of getting covid 19, i swear to christ i really need a stiff brandy or something its getting to me now, the weather is putting a top hat on it too.

Hang tight, the weather will improve and this corny virus will disappear just like the Spanish flu did in 1918!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Like so many round the country herself is frontline medical staff so anxiety and stress levels are up across the board, long days and sleepless nights already.

Got out today for a lovely 10k hike, sun, rain, sleet and wind in the face followed by a picnic in the car. Great to recharge the batteries and lift the mood.

We are thankful to live on the farm, in the event of a total lockdown there is ample space to stretch the legs and get fresh air. Will be tough on town folk stuck in small spaces and apartments if/when it happens.

Advertisement