Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Polish Mayor murdered on stage

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Thanks Batgoat, caught a headline in an app that aggregates news feeds the other day, but the article wouldn't load up for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Poll Dubh

There's something rotten in the state of Poland. I started getting concerned when they rolled out the welcome wagon for Donald Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,499 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

I was born in Gdańsk, grew up in Gdańsk, lived in Gdańsk the best 35 years of my life. Mr. Adamowicz was the right person on the right place, he made Gdańsk greater/better/nicer than ever. Even being Mayor, you could meet him out and about, he loved to go out just to talk to us, to everybody who just was there and wanted to interact. Like ordinary person, yet so extraordinary at the same time.

City of Gdańsk will never be the same without him.

And I'd rather prefer not to say anything about current political situation in my home country, I just have a feeling the whole country goes downhill, regrettably.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Crazy that the guy who stabbed the mayor was an ex-convict who shouted that he was wrongly convicted and innocent. Yet he shows his innocence by killing the mayor and being put back into prison. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Thats very gruesome and tragic. RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Earthsnotflat

Yes, the murderer had obviously had a problem with judging his own actions as wrong, it's hard to imagine someone with right senses to commit such a crime. But what is worse is what triggered such action, and political climate created but governing party has a lot to answer. Hateful rhetoric just brought its fruits, not first time in history

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

my mothers familiy moved there during WW2 so any family i have left are there visted the last years after a 16 year break and what changes what a great city

RIP Mr. Adamowicz

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭AndyTheDude

batgoat wrote: »
    A Polish Mayor known for his liberal views in contrast to the current ruling government was killed on stage yesterday.
    Horrible act no doubt. I don't think the mayor's liberal views had anything to do with it though. The perpetrator was previously convicted for bank robberies and has a long history of mental illness. He was being treated for schizophrenia while in prison. "Surprisingly enough" there's only one sentence in the quoted Indo's piece about it.
    This is under a climate where the government has become incredibly right wing

Actually, their social policies put them on the left of the political scene in Poland. Even if they were "incredibly right wing" as you say then I wouldn't see any problem with that at all. Apparently, according to some, there's only place for left wing parties in Europe. That's not how democracy is supposed to work though.
    anti migrant
    Great. They have my vote then.
    and attempted to hijack the judiciary.
    Complete and utter nonsense. Switch off your Euronews and go for a walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Interesting parallels to Jo Cox.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I was just thinking that. Theres something particularly distubring about it, especially because they were both well intentioned decent people

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Yes, a disturbed mind picking up the signals of narratives playing out in the public sphere. "The judicial process cannot be trusted", "the liberals are to blame" in this case. He chose the liberal leaning charity event too while he could have attacked the mayor in the street on any other day with no security to deal with.
    Very sad. Just like Jo Cox indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Horrible act no doubt. I don't think the mayor's liberal views had anything to do with it though. The perpetrator was previously convicted for bank robberies and has a long history of mental illness. He was being treated for schizophrenia while in prison. "Surprisingly enough" there's only one sentence in the quoted Indo's piece about it.

Actually, their social policies put them on the left of the political scene in Poland. Even if they were "incredibly right wing" as you say then I wouldn't see any problem with that at all. Apparently, according to some, there's only place for left wing parties in Europe. That's not how democracy is supposed to work though.

Great. They have my vote then.

Complete and utter nonsense. Switch off your Euronews and go for a walk.

Yes, the judiciary has been hijacked by the government. It's currently going through European courts, they also tried to force judges over 70 to retire because they wouldn't align with them. That's currently blocked by the EU. This is a fact. Yes they are considered rather right wing and they would be considered far right in most states. Their social policies are akin to the Catholic Church with the addition of the anti migrant position.

Other notable events include members of the party marching with fascists last year..
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/11/11/polish-government-officials-march-far-right-groups-mark-century/

So yep, I do find it of note when a politician who holds views that are the antithesis of the governments to be of note.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭AndyTheDude

Yes, the judiciary has been hijacked by the government. It's currently going through European courts, they also tried to force judges over 70 to retire because they wouldn't align with them. That's currently blocked by the EU. This is a fact. Yes they are considered rather right wing and they would be considered far right in most states. Their social policies are akin to the Catholic Church with the addition of the anti migrant position.

Other notable events include members of the party marching with fascists last year..
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/11/11/polish-government-officials-march-far-right-groups-mark-century/

So yep, I do find it of note when a politician who holds views that are the antithesis of the governments to be of note.
    It would be better if the EU looked closely at the current situation in France for instance. Quite a number of people got killed during demonstrations there. Thousands arrested, water cannons on the streets just like when martial law was imposed in Poland in December 1981.
    Good old Poland is doing just fine, no need to worry about it.
    As for describing the annual Independence March as a "fascist" or "right wing" event, I am not even going to waste my time for that. It's simply beyond ridiculous.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭Sonic Youth

I've been to Gdansk. Nice city.

A Polish Mayor known for his liberal views in contrast to the current ruling government was killed on stage yesterday. This is under a climate where the government has become incredibly right wing, anti migrant and attempted to hijack the judiciary.

Poland is great. You should go visit instead of bitching about their policies that have no effect on you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Are you suggesting a "clean skin" was used?

May I suggest you post here?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=576

Poland is great. You should go visit instead of bitching about their policies that have no effect on you.

I've got plenty of Polish friends that are concerned about the way things have gone in Poland. When politicians start getting killed, that's a matter for concern. When judiciaries are hijacked by the ruling party that's a concern. Your stance is akin to saying that the enabling act in Nazi Germany couldn't be criticised by non Germans since it was only national policy.

But good try at glossing over serious issues.

I've got plenty of Polish friends that are concerned about the way things have gone in Poland. When politicians start getting killed, that's a matter for concern. When judiciaries are hijacked by the ruling party that's a concern. Your stance is akin to saying that the enabling act in Nazi Germany couldn't be criticised by non Germans since it was only national policy.

Or how about you let the Poles run their affairs and stop being a lefty whinger?

Or how about you let the Poles run their affairs and stop being a lefty whinger?

You don't think a government hijacking the judiciary is of significance? That's literally undermining democracy and is of interest regardless of if you're left or right wing..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Their right wing government is enabling the right wing government in Hungary by vetoing EU sanctions, and vice versa. So as long as we're in the EU, Poland's ****e government is a matter of some concern.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

The over 70 years judiciary would have been active in the communist era, right? Or were they previously replaced.

mikhail wrote: »
    Their right wing government is enabling the right wing government in Hungary by vetoing EU sanctions, and vice versa. So as long as we're in the EU, Poland's ****e government is a matter of some concern.

Irexit? Join the British?

You don't think a government hijacking the judiciary is of significance? That's literally undermining democracy and is of interest regardless of if you're left or right wing..

Not my country, I don't care. But I think the real issue is that you are mad that there are countries in Europe that are strongly nationalist, don't want to be swamped with the dregs of the third world and will stand up to trash like Merkel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

As for describing the annual Independence March as a "fascist" or "right wing" event, I am not even going to waste my time for that. It's simply beyond ridiculous.

Sure, it's a family picnic.

46219108_303.jpg

_104268179_hi050543865.jpg

mikhail wrote: »

Excellent. Long may they continue.

There are plenty of democracies where governments, or the people, or the parliaments can choose or reject the judiciary or impeach them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Why bother when that person only sees politics as sports, their reaction mimicking how a Real Madrid fan would react to Lionel Messi getting injured from a bad foul says it all. It's a sad state of affairs, but it is where we are - and their response to your post I have quoted here couldn't be a better example if they tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Are you suggesting a "clean skin" was used?

May I suggest you post here?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=576

A what now?

Not my country, I don't care. But I think the real issue is that you are mad that there are countries in Europe that are strongly nationalist, don't want to be swamped with the dregs of the third world and will stand up to trash like Merkel.
    So you view hijacking the judiciary as okay? What view would you hold on the enabling act?
    The over 70 years judiciary would have been active in the communist era, right? Or were they previously replaced.

Was actually a reduction of the age of retirement to 65 from 70. It would have resulted in a third of supreme court judges retiring. The government could then replace one third of judges with those that they wanted in. The argument that the Polish government used was that it would allow for the removal of communist era appointments.

The reason they're being brought to the ECJ is because the EU view the intent to be to undermine the judiciary and it violates two EU treaties.
    There are plenty of democracies where governments, or the people, or the parliaments can choose or reject the judiciary or impeach them.

Removing Judges in this manner within the EU? Nope, it's literally a violation of EU law. Controlling the supreme court to this degree is pretty unusual. There's a reason why it was referred to as a purge? I'm sure you can reference a similar situation to this one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

A Polish Mayor known for his liberal views in contrast to the current ruling government was killed on stage yesterday. This is under a climate where the government has become incredibly right wing, anti migrant and attempted to hijack the judiciary.

In the first place, it's quite cynical of you to lump your agenda in there. None of your screed has any real prominence in the article you linked to.

In the second place, as much as you are hostile to 'right wing', when Poland was soi disant left-wing, do you think you would have thrived ?

Poland's has problems and issues to face, but the fact that it is a substantially mono-ethnic and mono-cultural society is not one of them.

Advertisement