Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

French author, 50, says he's incapable of loving a woman of 50

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭DS86DS

I think I'm falling in love with Lotus Flower :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭DS86DS

joe40 wrote: »
    I have only quickly browsed through 2 forums this morning, this one and one about Watson crick of DNA fame.

The same posters are popping up spouting racist crap there and sexist crap here. I have no problem with different opinions, it is the whole point of a internet forum, but this does look organised.

Talk of beta males, cucks, looney left etc, it really does lower the level of debate.
    All this stuff imported from alt right American sites actually goes against people that have genuinely held conservative views.

And what exactly do you consider to be "genuinely held conservative views"?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Mrsmum wrote: »
    It's gas really, old rock star choses young woman because her fertility so to speak shines out of her yet she, at the height of her sexual prime has to go at his elderly pace. Definite mismatch of nature there.
    Could depend too. I mean Mick Jagger is scarily fit for a man of any age, never mind his. Now maybe he's getting creaky now in his mid seventies, but ten years ago and he was running around the stage like a hyper teenager. To be fair he's incredibly rare an individual.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭Sonic Youth

My 40 something friend, who has an almost supernatural effect on women, told me one of the best parts of having girlfriends in their 20s is the dirty looks older women give you.

Bastard has to rub it in! Still that's the life you can live when you have rockstar good looks and supreme confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

not sure if this was mentioned, but appears life expectancy differs in men/women when there is a significant age gap in the couple; this is beneficial only for men, as the greater the age gap between a woman and her husband, the shorter her life expectancy would be (findings are based on data from two million Danish couples).
    - guess some women have higher self preservation instincts than others.
    According to Drefahl's study, published May 12 in the journal Demography, women marrying a partner seven to nine years younger increase their mortality risk by 20 percent. Hence, "health selection" can't be true for women; healthy women apparently don't go chasing after younger men. While many studies on mate selection show that women mostly prefer men the same age, most of them end up with an older husband. In the United States, on average a groom is 2.3 years older than his bride. "It's not that women couldn't find younger partners; the majority just don't want to," says Sven Drefahl.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

It's gas really, old rock star choses young woman because her fertility so to speak shines out of her yet she, at the height of her sexual prime has to go at his elderly pace. Definite mismatch of nature there.

So, what your saying is...she can't get no satisfaction? :pac:

Ba dum tish!

*Grabs coat and exits swiftly.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Get product on market.... Say something controversial.... Profit....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    What are we if we are not animals? You don't appear to live in the really world I know plenty of couples where the women is at least 10 years younger than the male.

Some? Sure. Plenty? Doubtful. As a percentage of all the couples you know, I’d be confident that it’s a small percentage.
    I remember a few years ago bringing a friend to the dentist in malahide which just happens to be across from the marina, I had time to kill so took a stroll along it, one of those superyachts had just pulled in and a gang of Hugh Heffner type oul fellas were getting off it and linking arms with not just your average good looking women, you could tell these were catwalk model types, I just smiled and nodded and got a smile and nod back :pac:

The wording is odd here - “You could tell”. Well, yes, by looking at them presumably? It’s not like it’s a cryptic crossword clue. If they were modelesque, you’d deduce that straight away surely? We’re all well able to make a quick assessment of looks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

"His elderly pace?" Jagger is incredibly fit for his age, as anyone who has seen him perform live in his '60s and '70s could attest. He is still one of the most dynamic frontmen in rock, and would put the average 30-something to shame.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

greencap wrote: »
    Had a quick look there and have to admit the global age gap for marriage is lower than I thought.

Looks to be around 3.5 years going by one source.

That said, its still indicative of the female preference for seeking a source of stability in a mate. Which men don't seem to have.

as illustrated by:
    https://theconversation.com/mind-the-gap-does-age-difference-in-relationships-matter-94132

Across Western countries, about 8% of all married heterosexual couples can be classified as having a large age gap (ten years or more).
    These generally involve older men partnered with younger women.
    About 1% of age-gap couples involve an older woman partnered with a younger man.

So let's assume not many people are getting married in their teens, and that some of those 10+ years age gap marriages are women in their thirties or maybe even (EEEEEW GROSS) forties. Not many men doing what basically every man wants to do because of like, science and biology.

What stability exactly is provided by a man 3 years older than a woman that isn't provided by a man six months younger? Considering women usually outearn men in their 20s it's presumably not financial. That 32.5 year old just provides emotional stability totally lacking from a 29 year old man? (I'd actually agree that women tend to mature emotionally and socially a bit quicker than men, definitely little boys should start school later than little girls and it's one way that society does fail to cater to male needs but it seems by the 30s to have more or less evened out)

How small dies an age gap have to be to stop proving your point, btw? Two weeks? Nine hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

So let's assume not many people are getting married in their teens, and that some of those 10+ years age gap marriages are women in their thirties or maybe even (EEEEEW GROSS) forties. Not many men doing what basically every man wants to do because of like, science and biology.

What stability exactly is provided by a man 3 years older than a woman that isn't provided by a man six months younger? Considering women usually outearn men in their 20s it's presumably not financial. That 32.5 year old just provides emotional stability totally lacking from a 29 year old man? (I'd actually agree that women tend to mature emotionally and socially a bit quicker than men, definitely little boys should start school later than little girls and it's one way that society does fail to cater to male needs but it seems by the 30s to have more or less evened out)

How small dies an age gap have to be to stop proving your point, btw? Two weeks? Nine hours?

Well no, you won't disprove that, because women DO mostly marry men a few years older than themselves, on average.

Why? ... Ask some women.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I dont really agree with people that say women age worse. Maybe without intervention they do, but theres definitely way more women in their 40's who put effort into their looks ,like hair ,makeup, working out, than men of the same age. Over 50's..hardly ever see good looking examples of either gender tbh..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 Tenderribs

wakka12 wrote: »
    I dont really agree with people that say women age worse. Maybe without intervention they do, but theres definitely way more women in their 40's who put effort into their looks ,like hair ,makeup, working out, than men of the same age. Over 50's..hardly ever see good looking examples of either gender tbh..

For men though status and power, even if not good looking, can be sexy.

Tenderribs wrote: »

You know, I don’t think anyone has made this point on-thread yet. Thank fook you registered, otherwise where would we be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Tenderribs wrote: »

Maybe. I don't get it though. Puckering up for a big sloppy snog with someone you don't actually like the look of....blech. I'd prefer to be poor.

You know, I don’t think anyone has made this point on-thread yet. Thank fook you registered, otherwise where would we be?

No prob, any time.

Zorya wrote: »
    Maybe. I don't get it though. Puckering up for a big sloppy snog with someone you don't actually like the look of....blech. I'd prefer to be poor.

What people say and what they do can often be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

Zorya wrote: »
    Ah, I preferred to read younger men may be attracted to older other men with status and power - that must be it, cause I don't know any woman in her right mind who'd go for old butt ugly guys with lots of money.
    The same paper brought earlier had mentioned "About 25% of male-male unions and 15% of female-female unions demonstrate a large age gap." ;)

mvl wrote: »
    Ah, I preferred to read younger men may be attracted to older other men with status and power - that must be it, cause I don't know any woman in her right mind who'd go for old butt ugly guys with lots of money.
    The same paper brought earlier had mentioned "About 25% of male-male unions and 15% of female-female unions demonstrate a large age gap." ;)

It's scientifically proven that status is a key attraction trigger for women towards men. It can make ordinary men appear good looking.

• Advertisement

Some amount of movitvated ignorance going on in this thread. Most of it from people who clearly have never (or no longer) had any success with the ladies.

Keep it coming chaps, then take a break and have an angry interlude with a sports sock in one hand and your instrument of seething resentment in the other while contemplating reality, since unless you become fabulously wealthy or famous - preferably both - and can afford the luxury of a young lady masking her cringing at the thought of having to service you (while smiling at your wallet) - you're probably going to be having the same sullen interludes with your sports socks and your resentment for company, long into the future - but at least you'll have the memory of getting digs in at women on the internet to keep you warm - because there is nothing more unattractive or more easily discernible than the kind of low level, very thinly veiled misogyny apparent from the worst posters here which will serve to repel almost all women, so at least they'll be spared.

Literally the only person in real life I've ever met who talks like this is a man in his late 30's who's never had a relationship, and blames all women for it rather than indulge in any self examination. As for the fine wine nonsense, I know it's comforting to tell yourselves otherwise but not even George Clooney looks better as an old boy than he did as a young man so I wouldn't count on suddenly turning into an Adonis while your very plums are making their escape from the cradle of your groin to the darkest recesses of your knees.

I'm 31 and engaged, so don't mistake this for post-wall saggy bitterness from a harpie whose hormonal deficits have rendered her mummified and invisible, all at the same time. Although I do have a cat.

For women signals of youth are the overriding features of attracriveness. For men it is status and power, how he behaves and how others behave towards him. Looks of course are a factor, but not as much as looks are a factor for women.

By the way if you ever come across someone who tries very hard to tell you that you aren't attractive, perhaps by writing paragraphs on the topic, that's usually a reflection of their own insecurities, don't take it personally :D

Candie wrote: »
    Some amount of movitvated ignorance going on in this thread. Most of it from people who clearly have never (or no longer) had any success with the ladies.

Keep it coming chaps, then take a break and have an angry interlude with a sports sock in one hand and your instrument of seething resentment in the other while contemplating reality, since unless you become fabulously wealthy or famous - preferably both - and can afford the luxury of a young lady masking her cringing at the thought of having to service you (while smiling at your wallet) - you're probably going to be having the same sullen interludes with your sports socks and your resentment for company, long into the future - but at least you'll have the memory of getting digs in at women on the internet to keep you warm - because there is nothing more unattractive or more easily discernible than the kind of low level, very thinly veiled misogyny apparent from the worst posters here which will serve to repel almost all women, so at least they'll be spared.

Literally the only person in real life I've ever met who talks like this is a man in his late 30's who's never had a relationship, and blames all women for it rather than indulge in any self examination. As for the fine wine nonsense, I know it's comforting to tell yourselves otherwise but not even George Clooney looks better as an old boy than he did as a young man so I wouldn't count on suddenly turning into an Adonis while your very plums are making their escape from the cradle of your groin to the darkest recesses of your knees.

I'm 31 and engaged, so don't mistake this for post-wall saggy bitterness from a harpie whose hormonal deficits have rendered her mummified and invisible, all at the same time. Although I do have a cat.

Be prepared for somebody to post the picture of twenty-something George looking goofy that is floating around the internet. Even though one could easily counter with photos of first season ER, early thirties George looking much better than he does now, be prepared for the goofy George-in-his-twenties photo where he is ‘80s-styled to the max being posted. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

The sweet spot for men's looks as they age is probably a bit older than for women, as a crude generalisation in keeping with the thread. Like there are a lot of men who look a lot better without the baby face, with a bit of grey. But it's not as though they continue to get better looking indefinitely. Clooney looks good now, but he looked a lot better in his 20s, there are a lot of men in the public eye to whom frankly only the second part of that applies.

But I'd personally find a man in his mind 30s more attractive than a man in his early 20s. Mind you, I'm 29 and therefore rapidly exiting the arena of womanhood where anyone gives a sh1t about anything I think or say, I expect my one-year-older partner will probably trade me in for someone with whom he has a proper age gap. Like three years.

Be prepared for somebody to post the picture of twenty-something George looking goofy that is floating around the internet. :) Even though one could easily counter with photos of first season ER, early thirties George looking much better than he does now, be prepared for the goofy George-in-his-twenties photo where he is ‘80s-styled to the max. :)

We all know that old rich men attract young women (and they can filter out the fact that the young women find them physically off-putting, if not repulsive), and we all know that very old rich men can even still father kids, but how many actually get to be in that position? :)

It's not particularly likely that any of the guys repeatedly posting in this thread will be one of those guys, although they seem to be under the impression that they'll be dating girls young enough to be their daughters at a time in their lives when they need regular prostate exams :P

The sweet spot for men's looks as they age is probably a bit older than for women, as a crude generalisation in keeping with the thread. Like there are a lot of men who look a lot better without the baby face, with a bit of grey. But it's not as though they continue to get better looking indefinitely. Clooney looks good now, but he looked a lot better in his 20s, there are a lot of men in the public eye to whom frankly only the second part of that applies.

But I'd personally find a man in his mind 30s more attractive than a man in his early 20s. Mind you, I'm 29 and therefore rapidly exiting the arena of womanhood where anyone gives a sh1t about anything I think or say, I expect my one-year-older partner will probably trade me in for someone with whom he has a proper age gap. Like three years.

Cloney was probably best looking in his late thirties to early forties, in terms of sexual appeal.

I'd say peak for a typical man who looks after himself should be around late thirties, for a woman I'd say 20-24.

Type 'men age like' in the Google search bar.

See clichés, although not always true, still exist for a reason.

Money and status DO make men more attractive. And not just superstars or millionaires.

Not so much for women.
    Most men don't care if a woman is a surgeon or a junior clerk.

Where is the male Mills and Boon?
    Oh that's right.

Most girls of 20 wouldn't look twice at a guy in his late thirties. Too close to dad age.

Fact of the matter is it's easier for a man late thirties to attract women, they are are more sexually appealing generally than a 21 year old man all thing equal.

• Advertisement

Most girls of 20 wouldn't look twice at a guy in his late thirties. Too close to dad age.

Depends where you go.

Advertisement