Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strokestown **Mod Note in Post #4461**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Sean.3516 wrote: »
    Apologies, I thought they were Dutch

I was more pointing out the "betrayed by their own " part :

MRBB (part of the Flemish farmers' association) controls around 11%,

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Sean.3516

rn wrote: »
    A lot of speculation here on here.

Central roscommon does have a strong IRA under current. That part of Roscommon does have a strong traditional/conservative mindset that has taken a battering on a good few social and economic issues in last 10 years. So faith in civil structures of state would not be high.

There's a desire for hands on action to fight back against perceived lack of state support or sympathy for the ordinary citizen typical in these parts.

Evicting an old farming family from a house two weeks before Christmas by men in British registered vans was always likely to be a dangerous move.

None of that is an excuse.

Going to be difficult to secure arrests and convictions, I'd imagine there'll be a strong "Robin Hood" effect.

A pity. Unacceptable they can be that badly beaten and little chance of justice.
    A bit of law and order needed in Roscommon then

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

eagle eye wrote: »
    Do you remember when the banks took out loans and couldn't repay them?
    Well I do and guess who paid their loans, me and you and every other tax payer in the country. They did get kicked out of their buildings.
    So an ordinary man isn't able to repay and you have no sympathy for him and back the banks?

Say the banks had shut up shop all of a sudden and everyone in the country lost every penny they had on deposit. What would people have said then? All the "poor pensioners " people love to drone on about in these threads. Ones whod paid off their mortgages and had life savings in the bank left with nothing when the bank shuts down. Then what? And the thousands of people suddenly not paying tax and claiming the dole instead. Sure **** it, the country can borrow more to fill the gap.

Sure we don't need banks anyway.........

Plus. Most of the money has been or is being paid back. Never a mention of that form the permanently outraged.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,776 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

No more direct the democracy than a lynch mob.

Na Veistí Buí

• Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭enricoh

Sean.3516 wrote: »
    What I’m saying is that people wouldn’t be half worked up by the bank’s security were not former UVF. Why do we care that they were UVF. I’m no fan of the UVF but it’s got nothing to do with the reason they were there and the job they were doing.

Why do we care that they were uvf? seriously? What age are u?

• Advertisement

gctest50 wrote: »
    I was more pointing out the "betrayed by their own " part :

MRBB (part of the Flemish farmers' association) controls around 11%,

:p

But I think this overlooks the point. Commercial lenders do not have to put up with i performing loans and they shouldn’t if they wish to turn a profit. Lenders aren’t charities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Gardai cannot execute an Order for Possession. They cannot interfere in what is a civil matter plus the perception would be that the Gardai are acting as private securty for the Banks.

They can execute a Debtors warrant. They can also assist with a Distress Order. Why did the bank not go down this route ?
    the_syco wrote: »

Said security firm was acting on behalf of the bank who had gotten an eviction order from the Irish court.

=-=

This eviction, and the high profile eviction in Dublin both used a Northern Irish security firm to evict people. It'll be interesting to see how future evictions are handled, as it seems that people don't understand that if you can't pay, leave the house when you're told to do so.

Acting on behalf of the bank is fair enough but who gives them the power to physically manhandle people ? If somebody was seriously injured or (stretching it here a bit.....) even killed where would the buck stop ?
    Security personnel may use force to prevent injury to themselves or others. They cannot instigate the use of force and just grab random people and throw them out. That applies whether it's in a nightclub in Limerick or Dublin or a farm in Strokestown. A High Court order does not mean that they can ignore the laws of the land.
    NIMAN wrote: »
    I'm sure KBC aren't employing 'heavies' themselves, its more they are employing a private security or repossession firm, and KBC have no control over who a private firm hires.

To say "KBC are bringing in loyalist paramilitaries to evict people" is a mistruth.

KBC pays the bill. The buck stops with KBC. Ignorance is not a defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,749 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

P_1 wrote: »
    Seemingly the "raid" for lack of a better term may have been led by Ben Gilroy and the rest of the loolahs leading the Irish Yellow Vest movement. This is what happens when you get the optics so wrong.
    yeah they can hardly complain about violent evictions now

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Ben of the family Gilroy you mean

Hardly Peeeeple b4 Profit or one of those other showers that pumped those three dry of money ?

Heard of similar with the Corrib gas line, one or two got leached until they were broke

• Registered Users Posts: 11,749 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

how many years has there been a payment issue?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,683 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Fcuk the banks, back the farmers.

enricoh wrote: »
    Why do we care that they were uvf? seriously? What age are u?

If it is shown that these specific men have committed murder or some serious violent crime or that they were not licensed security then I’ll say they shouldn’t have been there. I don’t think you would care if they were former IRA or any other group of scumbags that agree with you politically

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Patww79 wrote: »
    But getting the likes of that to come into our country to force people out? They should have been chopped up the minute they came near the property.

As long as the UK is still part of the EU, they have to award the contract to the cheapest consortium, regardless of which member state they are from.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Honestly I wouldn't think they would do.

From watching the video and seeing how the person said they were British, combined with their appearance (he was somewhat round and had the sort of moustache you'd associate with a traditional DUP voter) I doubt hed have had the intelligence to conduct such a deception
    I suppose. Robbing banks, making pipe bombs and smuggling diesel is more the republican angle.
    I was merely pointing out that our irish police force should have the duty as opposed to hiring scum to carry out these types of evictions.
    Again, it's not the Garda who do this, it's the Sheriffs.
    mikeym wrote: »
    Im sure those lads would spit on the tricolour if they seen one.
    Both sides would probably spit on the tricolour, as the tricolour symbolises the peace between the republicans and loyalists.
    Fann Linn wrote: »
    Any proof they weren't?
    Whoever claimed they were loyalists either post up the proof, or we'll ignore the claim.
    then it's not surprising people will decide what is good for the goose is good for the gander. it's not right, but it is what it is .
    We never bailed out KBC.

Said neighbours stayed away when the eviction took place, as there was Gardai keeping the peace. I'd wonder if this plan to attack the security personal started Saturday night in a pub?
    koheim wrote: »
    thrown out on the side of the road by foreign "security" people. That is more than bad optics, there must be a better way.
    The better way would be to leave when the courts told them to do so.

Oh, wait, that already happened, and they ignored the courts instructions.
    Gringo180 wrote: »
    In this fashion? Are you for real?
    What other fashion is there?
    Unknown. The poster didn't expand, thus I said alleged.
    But on page 41 of https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/media/migration/foodindustrydevelopmenttrademarkets/agri-foodandtheeconomy/foodharvest2020/2020FoodHarvestEng240810.pdf it mentions that "the dairy sector in the medium to long term are positive", and that "the industry at all levels must engage on alternative options for financing the expansion in capacity to process anticipated volume growth" would seem to mean that farmers should expand their capacity to process the anticipated volume? Fairly sure the price of milk then tanked.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,477 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

pablo128 wrote:
    You mean that the crowd(including former members of An Garda Siochana) would have simply left if a group of lads from Inner City Dublin turned up instead? Not a hope.
    Obviously your reading skills are not up to scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭mulbot

As long as the UK is still part of the EU, they have to award the contract to the cheapest consortium, regardless of which member state they are from.

No they do not.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Is challenging the authority of the state from time to time such a bad idea though?

end of the road thanked this yet cries his eyes out anytime there's scumbags being scumbags saying ''well the law should be enforced''. Hypocritical AF.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭joe swanson

The amount of people (scum) on social media promoting and encouraging this is disgusting. What is so hard to understand that if you don't pay your mortgage or loan this is what happens. Being evicted does not condone attempted murder. Scumbags

Panthro wrote: »
    Fcuk the banks, back the farmers.

So what? Banks should just forget about all loans and start giving away money from now on? I don’t think it would catch on. Might be lack of a profit incentive

• Registered Users Posts: 37,477 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

This is the sort of thing that could lead to Irexit

• Advertisement

Not true. Any EU based companies can apply for cotracts in any other EU State but there's no obligation to award the contract to the cheapest tender.

The amount of people (scum) on social media promoting and encouraging this is disgusting. What is so hard to understand that if you don't pay your mortgage or loan this is what happens. Being evicted does not condone attempted murder. Scumbags

Totally agree. A disgrace that this sort of “oo aa up the ra” infantile gob****tery can prevail over respect for law and order.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

eagle eye wrote: »
    This is the sort of thing that could lead to Irexit

Yep. Shut off access Irish companies have to operate and tender for business in 26 other countries. Bloody foreigners.........

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

They cannot instigate the use of force and just grab random people and throw them out. That applies whether it's in a nightclub in Limerick or Dublin or a farm in Strokestown. A High Court order does not mean that they can ignore the laws of the land.
    They were to evict people from a house. To evict, you have to physically move them. How would asking nicely achieve this? The bank already got the courts to tell them to leave, but they didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭blueythebear

They can execute a Debtors warrant. They can also assist with a Distress Order. Why did the bank not go down this route ?

Because a Debtors Warrant is a very different thing... that only applies after getting a judgment against the homeowner and they fail to pay on an installment order. This process takes years and is largely ineffective. Order for possession allows you to retake the security and sell it to repay the debt.

The Distress Order is nothing to do with this. It applies to a breach of bail conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

h2005 wrote: »
    The Irish tax payer didn’t bail out KBC. So unless you pay your taxes in Belgium that post is total rubbish.

Ah don't let that stop everyone blaming de bankers. I reckon a lot of people who say that don't even know what they're referencing to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

Not true. Any EU based companies can apply for cotracts in any other EU State but there's no obligation to award the contract to the cheapest tender.

That only applies to Government contracts, and it's not the lowest/cheapest, its the most economically advantageous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭0cp71eyxkb94qf

Course not. Being evicted violently by hired scum however...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

From watching the video off the older guys being pinned to the ground and dragged around, although I don't condone violence, if it was my dad being thrown around and if I knew the guys were in the house I would want to fcuk them up.

Hard to be rational when sh1t gets personal

• Advertisement

Because a Debtors Warrant is a very different thing... that only applies after getting a judgment against the homeowner and they fail to pay on an installment order. This process takes years and is largely ineffective. Order for possession allows you to retake the security and sell it to repay the debt.

The Distress Order is nothing to do with this. It applies to a breach of bail conditions.

In my (limited) experience I've found that a Debtors Order, and subsequent jailing, can be highly effective in focussing the mind and getting people to confront the issues at hand.

A distress order is not limited to breach of bail conditions and can be used to empower the Sheriff to seize goods 'to the value of.....'
    Obviously this would usually only be effective in the case of smaller loans etc.

Advertisement