Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tourists or Refugees

Options

Comments

ai kopsht është shumë i vogël për një trampoline

Something no Albanian would ever say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

No one asked them to come here, in fact they're breaking the law by being here.

We owe them zilch.

Guess you should vote for politicians who want to put an end to asylum seekers and get us out of the EU in that case.

See if that solves the countries problems.

And yet, in that 4 year period Ireland has taken in over 40 thousand refugees!!

What?
    Where are you getting those figures from

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Inhumane ? Fed, watered, clothed, pocket money, all of our taxes ? Try getting that from somewhere else.

In fairness, i'd be fairly to the right on immigration everything, but the direct provision system embarrasses me as an Irish man. Ive seen kids in them for years.

We need a faster asylum processing/determination process. either let them stay or send them back. These endless appeals are a farce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Graniteville

And yet, in that 4 year period Ireland has taken in over 40 thousand refugees!!

you have your figures rather incorrect

• Advertisement

bubblypop wrote: »
    Something no Albanian would ever say.

Cant bate google translate!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

In fairness, i'd be fairly to the right on immigration everything, but the direct provision system embarrasses me as an Irish man. Ive seen kids in them for years.

We need a faster asylum processing/determination process. either let them stay or send them back. These endless appeals are a farce.

Agree completely with that but the minute we try to send anyone back the bloody campaigns start. We need to stop people at airports, ferry ports etc.

Cant bate google translate!

I work with Albanians

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

you have your figures rather incorrect

Have you included extended family reunification ?

Margaret Cash

I'd prefer to have 100 Albanian neighbours than that piece of work

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Graniteville

Inhumane ? Fed, watered, clothed, pocket money, all of our taxes ? Try getting that from somewhere else.

Within 10 weeks of being permitted to work over 500 people in direct provision got jobs and are contributing to society. That's almost 20% of the adults in DP who found a job within weeks of being permitted to do so and its estimated that over 50% will be in employment within 12 months

Imagine a certain ethnic community doing the same!

Agree completely with that but the minute we try to send anyone back the bloody campaigns start. We need to stop people at airports, ferry ports etc.

Anyone interfering with a deportation order should be charged with sedition or something nasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭2013Lara

Living in the town and the people are not happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

2013Lara wrote: »

Your TDs are, that's all that matters.
    And you're a racist if ye mention it.

If i was living in Wicklow town I wouldnt be either. Be worse living in Arklow though.

One more time. These people are not being housed anywhere near the housing crisis. They are being placed in towns Irish people don't want to relocate to.

Until Irish people are being turned down homes in these towns because they are being used to house refugees your point is moot.

Don't agree. Wicklow Town has become very popular over the past couple of years with many people from Dublin moving to it, myself included. There are several new housing estates, all of which are selling out from plans. It's very easy to commute to dublin from. Not the case at all that people don't want to relocate to it.

This is pure greed on behalf of the new owner of the hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

Don't agree. Wicklow Town has become very popular over the past couple of years with many people from Dublin moving to it, myself included. There are several new housing estates, all of which are selling out from plans. It's very easy to commute to dublin from. Not the case at all that people don't want to relocate to it.

This is pure greed on behalf of the new owner of the hotel.

Pure greed that he made a business decision that benefited him? Once again I am shocked to discover any business owner would make such a decision.

So they are being placed in a hotel which is not taking any housing options away from Irish people on the housing list? What was your point again?

Pure greed that he made a business decision that benefited him? Once again I am shocked to discover any business owner would make such a decision.

So they are being placed in a hotel which is not taking any housing options away from Irish people on the housing list? What was your point again?

The hotel that the town desperately needs to bring tourism into it. The tourism that the local businesses all depend on. This will be detrimental to the town. This isnt about the housing of Irish people. This is about our town and how this is going to affect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

The hotel that the town desperately needs to bring tourism into it. The tourism that the local businesses all depend on. This will be detrimental to the town. This isnt about the housing of Irish people. This is about our town and how this is going to affect it.
    Was it often full of tourists ? I don't know the hotel or the town .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,066 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/1112/1010343-hotel-provision-centres/

"The contract is for a fixed-term of one year and residents will be from a variety of countries including Nigeria, Pakistan and the Democratic Republic of the Congo."

Note that these people are not refugees, they are asylum-seekers.

Indeed, they are very likely to be bogus asylum-seekers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

Trailerr wrote: »
    The war in Syria

You're right. Syria. Not Ireland.

Pretzill wrote: »
    There's great money in direct provision. I don't mean to be cynical but I don't believe the refugees housed there get all that money can buy. As usual there are fat cats making a fortune out of other people's misery.

They are not refugees.

Correct, the owners of these DP centres are the ones making millions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,972 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Geuze wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/1112/1010343-hotel-provision-centres/

"The contract is for a fixed-term of one year and residents will be from a variety of countries including Nigeria, Pakistan and the Democratic Republic of the Congo."

Note that these people are not refugees, they are asylum-seekers.

Indeed, they are very likely to be bogus asylum-seekers.

....why do you think that people from the congo and pakistan are likely to be bogus?

https://www.esri.ie/pubs/RS72.pdf

See section 3.4 here.

3.4 BORDER CONTROL

Bangladeshi and Pakistani applicants accounted for 50 per cent of all asylum applications in Ireland in 2015, at 9 per cent and 41 per cent respectively (see Figure 1.4). The majority of these applicants, according to IPO, had previously been resident in the UK.74 The influx of Bangladeshi and Pakistani applicants contributed to asylum application figures doubling between 2014 and 2015 (see Figure 1.3). The Minister for Justice and Equality reported that the Irish government was working with the authorities in the UK to address the issue of young men from Bangladesh and Pakistan who were present on UK visas there coming to Ireland to seek asylum (Lynch, 2015).

All of these people are bogus asylum-seekers.

They are illegal economic migrants, and should be removed asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

Chinasea wrote: »
    It's about time we started to help and take a share. To-date we have certainly been extremely shy.

Sad to see so much begrudgery.

We shouldn't be taking in anyone especially not those who are fake refugees. Charity starts at home and we should be looking after our own first before we start looking after anybody else.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

there was a previous direct provision center in wicklow town many years ago .

the building that now houses a wet simon community center near the wicklow Gaol the biggest tourist attraction in the town .

when the center was open to refugees it was not well run . violence and criminality of all kind were common.

Chinasea wrote: »
    It's about time we started to help and take a share. To-date we have certainly been extremely shy.

Sad to see so much begrudgery.

Genuine refugees are very welcome.

Illegal economic immigrants are not welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Great, we're clear on what kind of person you are.

It really shouldn't be that much of a radical idea to help your fellow man. Especially from those harping on about "looking after our own first".

You are willing to help your fellow man with a kitty of other peoples' money?

How virtuous! Damn that is noble.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,972 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Geuze wrote: »
    https://www.esri.ie/pubs/RS72.pdf

See section 3.4 here.

3.4 BORDER CONTROL

Bangladeshi and Pakistani applicants accounted for 50 per cent of all asylum applications in Ireland in 2015, at 9 per cent and 41 per cent respectively (see Figure 1.4). The majority of these applicants, according to IPO, had previously been resident in the UK.74 The influx of Bangladeshi and Pakistani applicants contributed to asylum application figures doubling between 2014 and 2015 (see Figure 1.3). The Minister for Justice and Equality reported that the Irish government was working with the authorities in the UK to address the issue of young men from Bangladesh and Pakistan who were present on UK visas there coming to Ireland to seek asylum (Lynch, 2015).

All of these people are bogus asylum-seekers.

They are illegal economic migrants, and should be removed asap.

How do you know that the people currently being considered from those countries are "young men from Bangladesh and Pakistan who were present on UK visas there coming to Ireland to seek asylum"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

We shouldn't be taking in anyone especially not those who are fake refugees. Charity starts at home and we should be looking after our own first before we start looking after anybody else.

Thankfully the USA didn't say the same when the famine ships arrived from Ireland . Or the ships or trains arrived with Jews fleeing the war to other countries

Advertisement