Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sleep paralysis, share your story

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Same fat bitch all the time. Big masculine woman with brown bobbed hair, wearing a checked shirt and when I open my eyes she is right there nose to nose with me and then slowly moves away but still stands lookin at me. Not as regular but as frightening as ever when it does happen.
    I find it happens more often if I'm sleeping in a strange room or if I haven't closed the blind properly and not used to the moonlight shining in making shadows etc. Or if I have a jacket/ dress ... hanging on back of wardrobe door

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I've only had it once and that was New Years day of this year. Obviously, I'd been on the lash the night before and I awoke with this face staring down at me and I felt suffocated and couldn't move.

At first, I thought I had pulled someone horrific who was starting some weird kinky shít but after a few seconds I realised whatever I was staring at was not human. After about thirty seconds I woke up with my three friends staring at me wondering why I was screaming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Saralee4

heldel00 wrote: »
    Same fat bitch all the time. Big masculine woman with brown bobbed hair, wearing a checked shirt and when I open my eyes she is right there nose to nose with me and then slowly moves away but still stands lookin at me. Not as regular but as frightening as ever when it does happen.
    I find it happens more often if I'm sleeping in a strange room or if I haven't closed the blind properly and not used to the moonlight shining in making shadows etc. Or if I have a jacket/ dress ... hanging on back of wardrobe door

Haha that sounds awful. It sounds like Mary Harney :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

A cross between Mary Lou and Mary Harney!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Have it for over a decade along with other parasomnias. Have not had an incident in the last year however. At one point I was having up to 2 a week. When you have them enough they end up being bothersome more than anything. Waking up unable to move, aware why you can't move but wanting to adjust yourself before going back to sleep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

Have not had these is a while but used to quite a bit. Never saw figures though, for me it was like my arms and legs were being held down or pulled out of bed. Remember trying to scream continously with no sound until i eventually did out loud. Freaked me out a good bit but i found if my head was lower on the pillow this wouldnt occur. So i dont let blood run to my head at night;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Cfour

I've been getting these for years so I am aware that it's sleep paralysis as it starts to happen. however the experience is so realistic, I am convinced every time, that it's actually happening, this time for real.
    I 'wake up' paralysed and too frightened to breath. I hear someone approaching the room, the creaks on the stairs, the turning of the door handle etc. I can't open my eyes but I can feel/hear the person approaching the bed, sitting on the edge right next to me, weighing down on the duvet and breathing on the side of my face. The sensation is horrific.

The way I deal with it is to tell myself to calm down and to take deep breaths. I remind myself that I will always snap out of it before 5 deep breaths and once that happens I can scream/push him off. However, once I snap out of it I don't need to scream because there's no one there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭chewed

it happened to me last year. i slept in the spare room because I wanted to read and the mrs was sleeping in our own room. I must have fallen asleep and then thought I was awake because I heard a woman at the end of the bed praying or chanting in whispers. I then felt the duvet being slowly lifted at my feet and this person slowly crawling up the bed. I was frozen with fear at this stage and fully awoke. I had assumed my wife had slept walked and got into the bed so I slowly moved my hand to the other side of the bed but there was no one there. I wasn't sure if I was relieved or terrified at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

I get it every few months, usually if the day before was stressful or I went to bed over-tired.

The last time I opened my eyes and couldn't take a breath. I could look across my room at my door but couldn't move the rest of me or (at least it felt like) move my lungs enough to breathe.

I heard a strange, harsh voice whispering my name and I went to scream. To me, the scream sounded mangled and loud but it can't have been too loud as it didn't wake anyone in the house up!

There seems to be a lot of incidences being reported on here where a whisper is heard or a non-person is seen. Wonder what causes that part.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

Thank God this isnt just me. Ive had it a few times. In my parents house ive seen dhadows at the door. Tried screaming but couldnt. Would eventually wake up. Worst was i was staying on a boat on the shannon. Went there after a heavy weekend to take a break. I woke to what i can describe as old man indian chief type person beside my bed praying. Couldnt move or scream. Soon realised it was this dream again so closed my eyes real tight and opened again. Only this time he was still there. Took a few goes to wake from this one. Definitely a chemical reaction. Scary as fook

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Went through a strange period of night-fright/paralysis when I was about 19/20 no idea what prompted it or what ended it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I've had this for years. My dad had it, siblings, nephews too. Like most of you I get loud whoosy wind sounds - have been raised out of the bed, thrown around the room and there's always someone there - very powerful. The overriding thing in my sp is not being able to breathe - being choked - and thinking I've woken up and escaped it but it just keeps happening on a loop that seems to go on for ages.

Until I actually wake in a panic vowing that I won't go back to sleep but I invaribly do because I'm so exhausted!

Mine almost always happen following a period of bad sleep, when I'm overtired.

Have only actually seen the thing I sensed once and it was a blacked hooded figure - like the Nazgul (that was an early experience and frightened the sh*t out of me) Now I get them so regularly there are times when I just give in to it and then it's not such a scary thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭CaptainInsano

I'm extremely vulnerable to this when hungover.
    It's always the same, a creature will start to climb from the bottom of the bed up my legs and onto my chest. It wheezes and I can feel it's claws scraping on my blanket. It looks kind of like a demon/goblin type thing.
    It's seems so real it may as well be as far as I'm concerned. I get completely petrified and just try to move my toes first and slowly I'll come round.
    I get another thing where I can move but wake up really terrified of some invisible force in the room.
    Scary ****, I've read that it's more likely to happen if you fall asleep on your back.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Kas2010

I got the goblin sitting on my chest one night too. Really heavy feeling and I was pinned to the bed. Where does this come from? I wouldn't be particularly into horror films or surrounding myself with devils and goblins ever. It must be part of human nature.

I woke up paralysed another night, my husband beside me and our son in the middle. I could hear a crowd of people on my husbands side of the bed and I started floating toward the ceiling, I dropped back down to the bed and went floating again but I.caught my husbands hand and pulled him up with me but he was too heavy and fell back to the bed. I woke up very frightened.

I had an angel like vision come to me when I was a teenager, I felt like I was choking and couldn't breath , she kept saying it's okay relax it's not your time you have to stay. Wtf was that all about. Freaky as fook.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Dracula!

I used to get it very bad after being up all night dancing like a clown at raves in the early 90's. The Sunday night sleep would be like the scene from trainspotting with the baby on the celing except I was half asleep and paralysed. Yowzer don't fancy goin back there. Nostalgia my hole the good ole days are in the future !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

Mine were always in black and white.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭WellThen?

Everyone seems to have the same feeling of not being able to move and screaming with no sound coming out but the visions or feeling of what is in the room with you differ.

I always seen a horrible old man until I knew what it was, now just the paralysis.

Does anyone think this is what people who claim to be "abducted by aliens" are experiencing? I have always thought that as a valid explanation...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

WellThen? wrote: »
    Everyone seems to have the same feeling of not being able to move and screaming with no sound coming out but the visions or feeling of what is in the room with you differ.

I always seen a horrible old man until I knew what it was, now just the paralysis.

Does anyone think this is what people who claim to be "abducted by aliens" are experiencing? I have always thought that as a valid explanation...

Yea .. towards the end of them, there is a brief moment when i'm trying to scream and its blackness and I finally realize whats just happened. I think I realized what was happening during one and tried to enjoy it, but otherwise there ****ing terrifying.

Not being able to sleep when you wake is a pain as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭LucidLife

GerB40 wrote: »
    I'm laughing after the event, when I'm fully awake and consciously aware of what just happened. As I said, I got used to them.. I have no doubt others have had worse experiences than I but when I knew what was happening the terror quickly subsided. Going from "I'm literally getting killed" to "This again, fúck off and let me sleep" is what made me chuckle. I've actually felt an adrenaline boost after waking up from these events which does prove that mine were tamer than others..

I haven't had any since I gave up drink and drugs so that kinda proves to me to me that these weren't your average natural ones, just chemically induced.

The above just validates what I said.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

I used to get a thing where id dream that i couldnt breath, and actually stop breathing in my sleep.

id try desperately to wake up and get breathing again and would do so at the last minute, gasping for breath. This always happened when id stay out for a whole weekend, keeping myself awake on something stronger than coffee....

Every one should try sleep paralysis while face down on their pillow and unable to breathe. It's an enlightening experience, I really recommend it.

Also I can tell you by experience that if you scream, nobody will be able to hear because of the pillow, so you'll be on your own :D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭dmm82

Oink wrote: »
    Every one should try sleep paralysis while face down on their pillow and unable to breathe. It's an enlightening experience, I really recommend it.

Also I can tell you by experience that if you scream, nobody will be able to hear because of the pillow, so you'll be on your own :D.

Thats the most recent one I got!! My face was in the pillow like someone was pushing my face into it, and my eyes were wide open (or so I thought). Couldn't breathe it was horrible, then the minute I woke up I'd slip back into the same thing again. Its horrific

Perhaps for some people but are you aware that more than a few people have had a tiny metal object removed from them that is not anything from our planet. People who reported being abducted and a few that never claimed it. An odd thing but even more so is the fact that before they are removed they are "alive" of sorts but once removed become just a dead metal. Every single report of an abduction or sighting gets fully looked into by a US based company. ....worldwide. ...some of these people at the very least have had contact even tho anyone rarely has the memory. The investigations would not happen if it was all in people's heads im sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭dmm82

10151253_10152136972346840_991285748_n.jpg

this just popped up on my facebook timeline :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

I got this a few years ago, we had moved into an new apartment and I just started waking up in the middle of the night with the feeling there was someone in the room and they were lifting the duvet and climbing up on me from the bottom of the bed, I couldn't move, or shout for help or anything I just knew they were gonna cut me open, weird little creature like Gollum (though I never actually looked at it, I just "know" that's what it looked like)

I was totally freaked out, convinced the place was haunted, I was totally shaken for the whole day until a google search revealed the truth.

After it started to become more regular it freaked me out less, the paralysis is still scary, but I either force my dreaming mind to shout so it causes a physical shouting reaction in my sleeping body to wake me, or I try to dream digging my nails into the palm of my hands, and wake up with clenched fists. Haven't had it in a while though thankfully

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Didn't know what it was the first time. Which was scary. After that I knew and it doesn't bother me now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Happens every morning, being forced out of a cosy warm bed into the cold...

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Dramatik

I get it when I sleep on my back, the ones I get are a hooded character dressed in raggedy clothes who looks like a stereotypical homeless tramp from the movies. It stands at the side of my bed looking over me while I sleep. The first time I got it I thought my house was getting robbed and it was an intruder in my house, freaked me the f**k out! The other one I get is a Grim Reaper type character who is also hooded but very tall, who breaths really heavily, so you can hear its location in the room from the sound of the breathing. It gets closer and closer till I can feel it right next to me, breathing in my ear. Having sombody breath into your ear is uncomfortable enough as it is, never mind a f**king grim reaper!

I'm able to wake myself up from them now so their not as bad but they definatly still get the aul heart pumping. Best way for me to wake from them is to count to three and then try everything in your power to move, at first nothing will happen but if you keep going you will slowly start to move.

Nobody has mentioned this yet but have any of ye when after waking (really waking) been drenched in sweat? I have spent many hours in steam rooms and saunas but never saw my body produce sweat in the same fashion as the night I had an OBE.
    Literally every pore was pouring.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭NakedMonkey

I had an "alien" experience of it before.

I woke up to a pulsing sound with a blue light that pulsed with the sound and got more intense as the sound did. An alien type of figure then approached the end of the bed and crawled right up and up into my face. Each pulse of the sound and light getting stronger and stronger as it grew closer.

When it got to my face it vanished and the light and sound pulses seemed to weaken. Once they stopped I was then able to move again.

I was freaked out at first wondering if what happened was real as I could remember every detail including the sound perfectly (even to this day which is over 3 years since).

Looking it up online I heard about sleep paralysis which matches my experience perfectly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

I think the fact that everyone's experience is the same, but different in the perception of the perpetrator by the individual is really interesting. Some of us see people, some mysterious hooded figures, some mystical creatures and some aliens, it obviously speaks to our individual fears and beliefs conscious or unconscious

Advertisement