Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Received a text from BOI today saying my Debit Card may have been used in fraud

• 10-01-2019 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

Is this legit?  I wouldn't even normally give these types of messages a moments credence, but the fact that it originates from the source that BOI normally make contact with me through - and they're not actually requesting that I take any action like sending my passwords etc - I'm wondering

Text of the message read:
    We are letting you know that your debit card may have been at risk of fraud.  As a precaution, we are sending you a new one.  You can still use your existing card for chip and PIN transactions (using an ATM or terminal and your 4-digit PIN to pay). Your new card and a letter of explanation will arrive in the coming days.  There is no need to contact us at this time.  Thanks, BOI

Is this legit? Do the banks not phone customers in these scenarios instead of sending a text? Either way, there has been some sort of breach because if BOI didn't send this, who did? It has come from the text line that BOI message me from.
    What restrictions are currently on my account if it's possibly been compromised yet I can still use my card? Is my account still at risk?

Thanks in advance
    Bananaleaf

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,100 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I'm not a customer of BofI anymore, but if I were you, I would ring the 24 hour 'Lost Cards/Security' section and see is there a note on your account.

It doesn't sound like there is anything to gain in a scam sense from the text, but it is a bit odd that they didn't ring you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭harr

My mam got a text form BOI on Monday with an authorising code for her card to be used to purchase on line bus tickets ... she ignored the text as she taught it was a scam.
    Tuesday morning she noticed €40 gone to paddy power and two other €40 gone to a food delivery company in Dublin.
    Sure enough her card had been cloned , she should have really contacted BOI when she got first text but presumed it was a scam text.
    So probably best to contact card services just to be on safe side.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭racersedge

I've had my credit card done in recently and I indeed got a text from BoI and their credit card fraud services. It asked me to confirm whether a certain transaction was legit that they had flagged. Turned out it was legitimately them. Like yourself, I was highly suspectible. I was just about to call them independently when I got an answer from their Twitter that the number it was sent from was a legit one from them.

As advised above, won't hurt to give them a call and discuss them with you. Despite their reassurances that you don't need to, I'd still be wanting to have an idea of how and why it was a risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

okay thanks guys, I'm going to call them now

thanks all.  Just off the phone with them now.  It's legit alright.  Apparently a number of customers potentially affected, more details will be in the letter.  At least I know now.  Still strange that I didn't get a call - would make you wonder the scale of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Jennifer

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Is this legit?  I wouldn't even normally give these types of messages a moments credence, but the fact that it originates from the source that BOI normally make contact with me through - and they're not actually requesting that I take any action like sending my passwords etc - I'm wondering

Text of the message read:
    We are letting you know that your debit card may have been at risk of fraud.  As a precaution, we are sending you a new one.  You can still use your existing card for chip and PIN transactions (using an ATM or terminal and your 4-digit PIN to pay). Your new card and a letter of explanation will arrive in the coming days.  There is no need to contact us at this time.  Thanks, BOI

Is this legit? Do the banks not phone customers in these scenarios instead of sending a text? Either way, there has been some sort of breach because if BOI didn't send this, who did? It has come from the text line that BOI message me from.
    What restrictions are currently on my account if it's possibly been compromised yet I can still use my card? Is my account still at risk?

Thanks in advance
    Bananaleaf

Hi Bananaleaf,

Thanks for getting in touch with us. We are aware that Bank of Ireland are sending these messages to some customers. Please be advised that you do not need to do anything and that your new card and letter of explanation will be with you in the coming days. We are very sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Thanks Jen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭harr

Now it seems to be a widespread issue, what’s the story after card has been scammed do you get the money back ? As I mentioned my mams card was done. It was from a card she rarely uses. The last time she used the card was back in August so she is unsure how someone got her details.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭whackball

Had my AIB debit and Credit done within 2 weeks of each other pre Xmas.

Friend had his BOI one done pre Xmas also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Darren

harr wrote: »
    Now it seems to be a widespread issue, what’s the story after card has been scammed do you get the money back ? As I mentioned my mams card was done. It was from a card she rarely uses. The last time she used the card was back in August so she is unsure how someone got her details.

Thanks for getting back to us here.
    Please be assured that once your mother has raised this with our card security team they'll investigate into this fully and apply to get the funds back for her.
    Thanks again,
    Darren.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Ardeehey

I got my new card yesterday but zero information relating to why it was targeted for replacement...any update or who is best to contact to find out what the issue actually was?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

There was an article on the journal.ie in recent days about all this which might explain. 

https://www.thejournal.ie/bank-of-ireland-fraud-4435279-Jan2019/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Ardeehey wrote: »
    I got my new card yesterday but zero information relating to why it was targeted for replacement...any update or who is best to contact to find out what the issue actually was?
    In my experience they do this if your card details were found to be part of some other 3rd party hack. Say you used your card on xyz.com and they were hacked exposing your card details somewhere. 

It doesnt mean you have lost any money (yet) but BOI are taking precautions by sending you a new card so that the old card number becomes invalid and they wont be liable for any stolen money.

In my experience they do this if your card details were found to be part of some other 3rd party hack. Say you used your card on xyz.com and they were hacked exposing your card details somewhere. 

It doesnt mean you have lost any money (yet) but BOI are taking precautions by sending you a new card so that the old card number becomes invalid and they wont be liable for any stolen money.
    Yes but I think the point being made is that we were informed that we would get a letter of explanation but that didn't come.  Just a bank card and the usual terms and conditions. No letter of explanation as was outlined in the text BOI sent us. 

Hi Ardeehey,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here and sorry that you didn't receive a text or letter in relation to this.
    I'd ask you to raise this through the "Ask a question" section within the "Service Desk" tab of your 365 online profile and the advisers there will be more than happy to have a look into why you received this new card and investigate into why you didn't receive notification of this.

Thanks again,
    Darren.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,726 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Stratvs wrote: »
    There was an article on the journal.ie in recent days about all this which might explain. 

https://www.thejournal.ie/bank-of-ireland-fraud-4435279-Jan2019/
    "Customers who’ve been affected can use their cards abroad but only with chip and pint."
    That seems a bit restrictive. Suppose I want a paella and rum?
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 46 SullDog

Also received the text mentioned by the OP. What can I do in the meantime if I want to make online purchases?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

SullDog wrote: »
    Also received the text mentioned by the OP. What can I do in the meantime if I want to make online purchases?

Hi SullDog,

Thanks for your post.

Compromised cards are restricted to chip and pin transactions and it will not work online. If you need to make an online purchase before the new card arrives you would need to use another card.

Thanks
    Tara

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

This happened to me last Sunday. Thankfully BOI security picked up on it and messaged me. Good work by them.  The card is cancelled, but I'm still waiting for a replacement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Jennifer

finbarrk wrote: »
    This happened to me last Sunday. Thankfully BOI security picked up on it and messaged me. Good work by them.  The card is cancelled, but I'm still waiting for a replacement.

Hi finbarrk,

Thanks for the post today.

We are very happy to hear this and will be happy to pass this onto our security team. When a new card is ordered on the account it will take 5-7 working days to reach your postal address. Please be assured that your card will work as normal for any chip and pin transactions. Feel free to get in touch if we can help you with anything else.

Thanks Jen

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭supersonic21

I thought it was an absolute disgrace that Bank Of Ireland could just lock us out from online and contactless payments without any notice, tell us there's an explanation on the way and then send us a card without an explanation at all. A bit of insight would have been great. Chip and pin wouldn't work for myself at all while waiting for my new card, so I was basically restricted from getting any money at all for the guts of a week. Shambolic.

• Advertisement

I thought it was an absolute disgrace that Bank Of Ireland could just lock us out from online and contactless payments without any notice, tell us there's an explanation on the way and then send us a card without an explanation at all. A bit of insight would have been great. Chip and pin wouldn't work for myself at all while waiting for my new card, so I was basically restricted from getting any money at all for the guts of a week. Shambolic.

Hi Supersonic21,

Thanks for the message. Locking your card like this would usually take place if your card was used at an ATM, online retailer or in a shop that fraudulent activity has taken place in. The lock would be put in place as soon as possible to protect your account from any possible fraud.
    Chip and PIN transactions should work have still worked on your account once this lock was placed on it. Can I ask if you're using card outside the Republic of Ireland and did you receive any error message when attempting the Chip and PIN transactions?
    Thanks again,
    Darren.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭united2k11

Hi, I got a text last Tuesday 12th of Febuary saying my card was cancelled due to the risk of fraud. Received my new card today, a whole week later with no explanation letter like I was promised. I would like to know why it was cancelled and what shop/atm/online retailer it was. Can i PM my details for someone to get back to me on this?

Really annoying as I couldn't purchase concert tickets on Wednesday and they are now sold out - What about Verified by Visa? Isn't this meant to prevent the online use of fraud with my card?

Had a trip planned at the weekend and had to constantly go out of the way to go to ATM's to take out money everytime i needed extra cash which was real annoying.. 

united2k11 wrote: »
    Hi, I got a text last Tuesday 12th of Febuary saying my card was cancelled due to the risk of fraud. Received my new card today, a whole week later with no explanation letter like I was promised. I would like to know why it was cancelled and what shop/atm/online retailer it was. Can i PM my details for someone to get back to me on this?

Really annoying as I couldn't purchase concert tickets on Wednesday and they are now sold out - What about Verified by Visa? Isn't this meant to prevent the online use of fraud with my card?

Had a trip planned at the weekend and had to constantly go out of the way to go to ATM's to take out money everytime i needed extra cash which was real annoying..

Hi united2K11,

Thanks for the message.
    You should receive a letter with as much information that we can provide in relation to what caused the card to be restricted. You would usually receive the card first as it is sent out to you as a priority and you should receive the letter within the coming days.
    Very sorry that you're unhappy with this service, this was done to protect the funds in your account and as the Verified by Visa security systems is applied by the retailer rather than ourselves it would not in place for every transaction online we would restrict all transaction not done by Chip and PIN.
    Thanks again,
    Darren.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭Mav11

Hi, my son, a student, had his BOI account scammed last night (22/02/19), to the tune of approximately €800. The minute he spotted it this morning he reported it, the account was stopped and the matter put under investigation.

Two questions: a) looking at the pattern of attempted transactions i.e. bombarded from multiple countries with varying transaction amounts over a very short period of time, why did BOI systems not pick up on this? Secondly; b) he is a student and as such short of cash, how long will this investigation take and when can he expect to be refunded? Many thanks Mav.

Mav11 wrote: »
    Hi, my son, a student, had his BOI account scammed last night (22/02/19), to the tune of approximately €800. The minute he spotted it this morning he reported it, the account was stopped and the matter put under investigation.

Two questions: a) looking at the pattern of attempted transactions i.e. bombarded from multiple countries with varying transaction amounts over a very short period of time, why did BOI systems not pick up on this? Secondly; b) he is a student and as such short of cash, how long will this investigation take and when can he expect to be refunded? Many thanks Mav.

Hi there,

Thanks for the message.
    In relation to the timeframe for the investigation this can change depending on what checks need to be done and for this reasons there would be no specific timeframe. Please be assured that your Son will be contacted directly as soon as there is any update on this.
    With your first question we wouldn't be able to discuss our security processes.

Thanks again,
    Darren.

Advertisement