Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French author, 50, says he's incapable of loving a woman of 50

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

I also know there's a lot of men who simply don't care that their wife is no longer youthful and are happy to grow old together. Same goes for women

Yep. My guy is handsome and could get much younger women but has no interest in them, finds it sad that some older guys leech after young women. We love each other regardless of age or appearance. I think men who defend this guy do a disservice to men like my partner who are more interested in personality and character than having a young thing on their arm to boost their ego.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

We are not "programmed" in the sense that we have no choice in the matter.

I'm quite sure that Bezos could get himself a gorgeous 25-year-old girlfriend just by clicking his fingers, if he wanted one. Lots of young women would jump at the the opportunity to date someone worth $137 billion.

So it doesn't make sense, in your theory, that he would dump his 48-year-old wife for someone a year older than her. Why isn't he going after 20-somethings, per his alleged genetic programming?

Yep, and though my Bowie/ Iman example was dismissed as a bad one, he stayed married to her when she was in her 60s (until his death, obviously). Using the same logic, why didn't he ditch her for someone younger long before that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

The other thing about M. Moix ... even if he's able to pull 25-year-olds today, what is he going to do when he's 60 or 70? There will inevitably come a point when he's left all alone, having sacrificed his ability to build a loving life partnership due to his obsession with youthful bodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

joe40 wrote: »

Any Man who thinks they are is a clown that is been used.

Take Trump for example he just looks ridiculous standing beside Melania.

I disagree with them being a clown. If that is what they feel most comfortable with, they are entitled to seek it out. I think they are misguided in the true value of a partner within a relationship but that is only my opinion as much as their opinion is theirs.

I'm sure Melania went in to her marriage with both eyes open.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

I disagree with them being a clown. If that is what they feel most comfortable with, they are entitled to seek it out. I think they are misguided in the true value of a partner within a relationship but that is only my opinion as much as their opinion is theirs.

As Mrs Merton asked Debby McGee
    "So what first attracted you to the millionaire Paul Daniels"

• Advertisement

Yep, and though my Bowie/ Iman example was dismissed as a bad one, he stayed married to her when she was in her 60s (until his death, obviously). Using the same logic, why didn't he ditch her for someone younger long before that

well obviously the older a man gets his libido is going down. most of these people with options won't typically marry again much beyond mid 50's at the latest but will have typically gone through a few before that.

and what I said can also apply to women on the other side if they are so inclined even without the inherent male attraction to fertility - you have J-Lo for example. she can afford all those divorces , has high social status, excellent social circles and yeah still looks decent.

what I said about genetic programming does not overcome everything - there is still the power of decision-making. I'm simply showing what happens in the larger majority of cases where the normal rules don't apply.

social norms, factors like will my kids talk to me after this, financial considerations, social status, etc etc all come into it. it's complicated of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

Melania and Donald in 1998 when they first met:

donald-trump-melania-knauss-1998.jpg?w=610&fit=max&auto=format&q=70

They don't look absurdly mismatched there, but he hasn't aged well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

Hands up who's heard of Yann Moix before today?

Hands up who's heard of him now?

I'd say Monsiour Moix is feeling very pleased with his day's work.

How the fcuk can you see my hands you creep!!!???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Iman is an outlier, looks-wise though. She’s still very striking.
    Melania and Donald in 1998 when they first met:

donald-trump-melania-knauss-1998.jpg?w=610&fit=max&auto=format&q=70

They don't look absurdly mismatched there, but he hasn't aged well.

Ahhh, no, he still looks a state in that old photo. He had a brief cameo in Home Alone 2 from 1992 - looked a state. He has looked ridiculous for a long, long time.

Iman is an outlier, looks-wise though. She’s still very striking.

Oh I fully agree, no arguments there. But the point the poster was making was that men were programmed towards youth and will, in the majority of cases, go after younger models when he has the resources to do so

• Advertisement

Oh I fully agree, no arguments there. But the point the poster was making was that men were programmed towards youth and will, in the majority of cases, go after younger models when he has the resources to do so

when Bowie was getting old and his libido waning Iman was still good - no need for an upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

How the hell is this thread still going? simple fact is men in their 50s can still mostly perform where as women are past it sexually(menopause) by then so it would be unfair to expect a single man in his 50s to be settling for a sexless relationship. Older man younger woman has been the norm for millennia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

How the hell is this thread still going? simple fact is men in their 50s can still mostly perform where as women are past it sexually(menopause) by then so it would be unfair to expect a single man in his 50s to be settling for a sexless relationship. Older man younger woman has been the norm for millennia.

Wha’?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

filthy over fifty.

a new search term for you to enjoy.

... and also regret.

You do realise that the menopause means women stop having periods? They're still able to have sex

• Registered Users Posts: 8,077 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

You do realise that the menopause means women stop having periods? They're still able to have sex

No, no pretty sure menopause means the vagina
    dies and seals itself shut :rolleyes:

glasso wrote: »

Eww indeed. I guess it's lucky for men that there's no literally no bodily changes at all for them as they age

Eww indeed. I guess it's lucky for men that there's no literally no bodily changes at all for them as they age

correct. time waits for no one. I think that men get a better deal there tho - besides being likely to die younger!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I commented on another thread about the standards of posters here (After Hours) and anti women sentiment.

Someone defending it, said it was a couple of trolls.

This thread is full, not just a couple, but has a fair contingent pushing anti women sentiment.

In the other thread, it was very sad to see how low people push the boundaries. It annoyed me as it's picking on someone unable to defend themselves.

In this thread, it's just hilarious. I mean just read some of these comments, even just a few above and keep a straight face. There can't possibly be that many trolls, so these people have to be serious. You'd really have to wonder how they actually survive in the real world which is dirty, gritty and tough.

• Advertisement

yeah but fairly low requirement on here for being called a troll, or woman hater, or what not.

maybe thats why they seem to be so numerous.

greencap wrote: »
    yeah but fairly low requirement on here for being called a troll, or woman hater, or what not.

maybe thats why they seem to be so numerous.

I've no idea on trolls, I take them all as being serious, maybe just a low standard of person.

As regards women hating, it's fairly obvious.? Anyone who writes things they would not say to people's faces maybe?

anewme wrote: »
    I've no idea on trolls, I take them all as being serious, maybe just a low standard of person.

As regards women hating, it's fairly obvious.? Anyone who writes things they would not say to people's faces maybe?

Usually someone who uses terms like "Post wall women" also

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

I commented on another thread about the standards of posters here (After Hours) and anti women sentiment.

Someone defending it, said it was a couple of trolls.

This thread is full, not just a couple, but has a fair contingent pushing anti women sentiment.

In the other thread, it was very sad to see how low people push the boundaries. It annoyed me as it's picking on someone unable to defend themselves.

In this thread, it's just hilarious. I mean just read some of these comments, even just a few above and keep a straight face. There can't possibly be that many trolls, so these people have to be serious. You'd really have to wonder how they actually survive in the real world which is dirty, gritty and tough.

Yes. Some here seem to think they're in a competition against women. Probably confused and frustrated that the world is changing and they're not sure of their position in it anymore as more and more women are striding forward.

Focus on living your life, doing your best and being the very best you can be. In work, at home, in life.

When you see your family members and loved ones slip away in front of your very eyes, how aggressive illlnesses can turn Cinderella into The Hunchback of Notredam almost overnight, it shows how delicate and precious life is and how Irrelevant people who give any credence to his type of rubbish actually are.

An unforgivable crime surely.

put him in the woman hater prison.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 100 ✭✭obby1

If a woman made this statement she would be praised as "a brave empowered woman'.
    get off you high horse critiquing this man , he has stated a preference that all men agree with, who prefers 3 day old stale bread when you could have bread straight from the bakery?

greencap wrote: »
    An unforgivable crime surely.

put him in the woman hater prison.

What is the possible upside of people using this type of language in everyday life?

Everyone is just getting on, plodding on, doing the best they can.

I interact and coach people experiencing depression. They are people from all walks of life, colour, creed, age. It's not discriminatory. Everyone has a value is equal.

Now you see your post wall women derogatory bull****.

I kindly suggest you take it and shove it where the sun doesn't shine - and then some.

obby1 wrote: »
    who prefers 3 day old stale bread when you could have bread straight from the bakery?

Stale bread makes excellent bread and butter pudding, among other things

• Advertisement

What is the possible upside of people using this type of language in everyday life?

Everyone is just getting on, plodding on, doing the best they can.

I interact and coach people experiencing depression. They are people from all walks of life, colour, creed, age. It's not discriminatory.

Now see your post wall women derogatory bull****.

I suggest you take it and shove it where the sun doesn't shine - and then some.

yeah, grand.

Advertisement