Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Discrimination seems to only apply to women.

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Oh I have long since called bollocks on that - I'm a huge tennis fan and have seen titles won by Roger Federer where he played more games in the final that the female winner did in the whole tournament, yet they get the same pay!

If a gender pay gap can be mythically created from dodgy and irrelevant data - then surely the "prize money per game" in tennis is a gap in itself ?

John Isner would be a billionaire if they changed the rules.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I envy blokes!!! Nearest I've got is a bush in Capenhurst station in the UK.

I HOPE there was no CCTV lol!!

When I was down in Capenhurst
    My bladder full and fit to burst
    And in my oh so desperate rush
    I squatted down behind a bush
    But as I settled there to pee
    A chilling thought occured to me
    What if everyone could see
    My buttocks on CCTV?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

But there are no genders, everyone is equal.

Yesterday I identified as a door handle, today I identify as an emoji, tomorrow i'll identify as a slightly worn wooden park bench.

If you find this strange i'll be offended, demand you resign from your job and insist your employer release a statement distancing themselves from your actions.

I hope no one inappropriately touched you as a door handle ?

#KnobsToo

Why would you be addressing academic performance with a group? Surely this should be done individually?

Way to miss the point there.

He was emailed individually as all were.
    Didn't like that, though he had failed heavily.
    Bounced up and argued with me.
    Went to see Tutor - threatened her.
    Came back with three pals and surrounded me.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

skybox2014 wrote: »
    None of this is unreasonable, and certainly not icky or discrimination.
    No, it's definitely unreasonable and discrimination.

The safety argument assumes that all men are potential abusers.

The menstruation argument is irrelevant. It's a bodily function that doesn't need to be hidden from either gender, and women should feel like they can lean on men for support as much as women; even if men can't really understand it to the same degree.

It's the equivalent of, "Women, amirite? They'll do nothing but stick pink fluffy cushions everywhere, nag about the washing up not getting done and cry at the drop of a hat. I don't need that".

• Advertisement

When I was down in Capenhurst
    My bladder full and fit to burst
    And in my oh so desperate rush
    I squatted down behind a bush
    But as I settled there to pee
    A chilling thought occured to me
    What if everyone could see
    My buttocks on CCTV?

Yep exactly that lol!!!!!!!

When a girl's gotta go - them 11 Staropramen don't stay put for long!!!

seamus wrote: »
    No, it's definitely unreasonable and discrimination.

The safety argument assumes that all men are potential abusers.

The menstruation argument is irrelevant. It's a bodily function that doesn't need to be hidden from either gender, and women should feel like they can lean on men for support as much as women; even if men can't really understand it to the same degree.

It's the equivalent of, "Women, amirite? They'll do nothing but stick pink fluffy cushions everywhere, nag about the washing up not getting done and cry at the drop of a hat. I don't need that".

+1. Never done any of those things and should I start getting into pink fluffy things it will be sign of senility setting in.

I'd much much rather like with a few blokes, any time at all.

A mate has a mrs who once asked him to switch off the Real Madrid - Atletico Madrid European Cup final as there was a rerun of Sex and the City "and Big is back".

She'd last 3 seconds in my house!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Keepaneye

I'd much much rather live with a few blokes, any time at all.

Sluh

Keepaneye wrote: »
    Sluh

Hahaha!!! If they'd be interested in a chunky middle aged bird then God help them!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,079 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Is it really "rife" though? Freedom of information requests sent by The Guardian to 130 universities in the UK found there were around 2,000 reports of sexual misconduct committed by students and staff in the previous seven years. That works out to 2 complaints per university per year. While I obviously wouldn't condone any sexual harassment, I'd still wonder whether the figures are actually significantly higher than in other fields.

I would say most of it is unreported.
    I have seen where someone complained about a technician and the fact they were never there, especially during the likes of Cheltenham festival.
    Lo and behold that guy never got any service from any of the techs as he was seen as troublesome and a snitch.
    And it didn't help the tech in question had a relative in charge.

So if you make complains about techs you life can be made very difficult and you will be the one at the bottom of the list for any service.

Most students I would guess just want to get a good degree with good results and just get to hell out of there.

BTW has anyone followed the case of the lesbian feminist professor in NY university who was found to be sexually harassing her male gay student ?

Now the big rub is that a whole host of female academics have leaped to her defense and have attacked the victim.

Now I wonder if the shoe was on the other foot how it would go down if male academics leaped to a male professors defense ?

A mate has a mrs who once asked him to switch off the Real Madrid - Atletico Madrid European Cup final as there was a rerun of Sex and the City "and Big is back".

She'd last 3 seconds in my house!!

Speaking as an Atleti fan that is grounds for divorce. :mad:

• Advertisement

jmayo wrote: »
    I would say most of it is unreported.
    I have seen where someone complained about a technician and the fact they were never there, especially during the likes of Cheltenham festival.
    Lo and behold that guy never got any service from any of the techs as he was seen as troublesome and a snitch.
    And it didn't help the tech in question had a relative in charge.

So if you make complains about techs you life can be made very difficult and you will be the one at the bottom of the list for any service.

Most students I would guess just want to get a good degree with good results and just get to hell out of there.

BTW has anyone followed the case of the lesbian feminist professor in NY university who was found to be sexually harassing her male gay student ?

Now the big rub is that a whole host of female academics have leaped to her defense and have attacked the victim.

Now I wonder if the shoe was on the other foot how it would go down if male academics leaped to a male professors defense ?

Speaking as an Atleti fan that is grounds for divorce. :mad:

Not that my team will ever get to the CL final but still - definitely grounds!!

She's a stunner though and he's punching well above so I think that explains a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,372 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Way to miss the point there.

He was emailed individually as all were.
    Didn't like that, though he had failed heavily.
    Bounced up and argued with me.
    Went to see Tutor - threatened her.
    Came back with three pals and surrounded me.

I guess I missed the point because you said: Qatari students (plural) cannot be called to a meeting (singular) by a woman to discuss academic performance.

Advertisement