Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sony 65" OLED price drop

Options

Comments

Buy it off richer sounds and pay in sterling and you'll get a better deal.
    Prob get 6 year warranty and free delivery too.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

I'd prefer to shop local for the time being as much as I can. This TV comes with a 5 year warranty from Sony anyway so I wouldn't worry too much :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Spotted my local Expert has the 2019 model 65” Bravia OLED yesterday for around €2,200 also.

Was one of the best looking displays in-store IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

Basq wrote: »
    Spotted my local Expert has the 2019 model 65” Bravia OLED yesterday for around €2,200 also.

Was one of the best looking displays in-store IMO.

My parents have always bought Sony TVs. Can't be beat.

I'll be getting IPTV set up on this one - can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Tazium

Just a note, friend of mine recently bought a Sony. The screen sharing program - all-share requires a subscription. If you are an iPhone user and want to cast/throw/airplay content to the telly you'll have to watch ads in advance or pay a subscription.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

Tazium wrote: »
    Just a note, friend of mine recently bought a Sony. The screen sharing program - all-share requires a subscription. If you are an iPhone user and want to cast/throw/airplay content to the telly you'll have to watch ads in advance or pay a subscription.

thats an absolute dealbreaker

Thats a disgrace,

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭dasilverfox

https://www.did.ie/lg-cx-65-4k-ultra-hd-oled-smart-tv-black-oled65cx5lb-oled65cx5lb-prd The sony is a great tv, but for the new consoles the lg supports 4k 120fps through all 4 hdmi inputs. This is what i'll be buying. I haven't checked other sites for cheaper prices yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,256 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

bertie4evr wrote: »
    My parents have always bought Sony TVs. Can't be beat.

I'll be getting IPTV set up on this one - can't wait!

Bonkers to me that you'd pay over 2 grand on a TV but then use IPTV (unless you mean Netflix/Prime/etc)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,126 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

https://www.did.ie/lg-cx-65-4k-ultra-hd-oled-smart-tv-black-oled65cx5lb-oled65cx5lb-prd The sony is a great tv, but for the new consoles the lg supports 4k 120fps through all 4 hdmi inputs. This is what i'll be buying. I haven't checked other sites for cheaper prices yet.

they want an extra 150 euro for a 3 year warranty. robbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭podge3

bertie4evr wrote: »
    This TV comes with a 5 year warranty from Sony anyway so I wouldn't worry too much :pac:
    FWIW, Sony's 5 year warranty is useless IMHO.

I bought a Sony TV from Amazon and got the 5 year warranty with documentation etc. TV went faulty after 4 years and Sony refused to honour it as I purchased from Amazon. No explanation other than that.

I used to be a lifelong Sony TV customer but not anymore.

I know you are not buying from Amazon, just offering my 2c.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

podge3 wrote: »
    FWIW, Sony's 5 year warranty is useless IMHO.

I bought a Sony TV from Amazon and got the 5 year warranty with documentation etc. TV went faulty after 4 years and Sony refused to honour it as I purchased from Amazon. No explanation other than that.

I used to be a lifelong Sony TV customer but not anymore.

I know you are not buying from Amazon, just offering my 2c.

Did you buy from Amazon or a market place seller? If not sold or full filled by Amazon you could be buying anything from anyone, Amazon market place isn't well regulated, and most likely bought a gray import not supposed to be sold to this country.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Did you buy from Amazon or a market place seller? If not sold or full filled by Amazon you could be buying anything from anyone, Amazon market place isn't well regulated, and most likely bought a gray import not supposed to be sold to this country.
    It was from Amazon, not a market place Seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭drogon.

It was from Amazon, not a market place Seller.

Did you try to contacting Amazon directly ? I had an issue once with a carbon monoxide sensor, with a 10 year warranty. 3 years into owning it, it kept going into a reboot loop causing the alarm to beep as it initialised. Amazon refunded me the original price as it was no longer available and they told me to ship the faulty one to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭mikeecho

I once bought a bottle of whiskey on Amazon.. there was a mix up, and I received a cement mixer.

They were cool about it, gave me a refund, and told me to keep the cement mixer.

drogon. wrote: »
    Did you try to contacting Amazon directly ?
    Yes, I contacted Amazon and got a refund - well, a credit to my account which I was very grateful for.

I was disgusted by Sony's evading their responsibility. I bought another TV from Amazon to replace the faulty Sony. Needless to say, it wasn't a Sony.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭dubrov

Most phones have an inbuilt function for screen-sharing and don't need an app.
    Sony also don't produce an app called All Share.
    What app is your friend using?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭dubrov

Yes, I contacted Amazon and got a refund - well, a credit to my account which I was very grateful for.

I was disgusted by Sony's evading their responsibility. I bought another TV from Amazon to replace the faulty Sony. Needless to say, it wasn't a Sony.

Sounds like the extended warranty was from Amazon and not Sony.

dubrov wrote: »
    Sounds like the extended warranty was from Amazon and not Sony.
    No, it was a Sony warranty.

I applied to Sony after I purchased the TV and received documentation from them detailing the warranty etc. When the TV went faulty, they messed me around for 2 weeks with resetting the TV etc before telling me they would not honour the warranty.

I contacted Amazon, told them my story and they gave me a full refund including the return postage cost.

Won't be buying another Sony TV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭torrevieja

Can i ask Brown why buy it in Sterling cant you just turn the Price to Euro?

In Amazon.co.uk case should you buy in Sterling or Euro

• Registered Users Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

torrevieja wrote: »

Always sterling and use revolut

• Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

torrevieja wrote: »

The companies always give terrible conversion rates if they let you pay in your currency. For low value items it can be a Euro extra, for a TV it's a lot.

I think all the the oled panels are made by LG ??
    Used to be the the case anyway.

and what does that optional warranty provide that isn't already governed by the regular warranty?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭branners69

I cant believe OLED suffer from screen burn. I still have a Pioneer plasma which is nearly 15 years old which had the same issue.

I am interested in upgrading to OLED but dont want the screen burn hassle, especially as it isnt covered by the guarantee!!

they want an extra 150 euro for a 3 year warranty. robbers.
    You don't have to buy the extra warranty, as it already has a 5 year. Yes it is robbery but you don't need it. don't worry about it.

You don't have to buy the extra warranty, as it already has a 5 year. Yes it is robbery but you don't need it. don't worry about it.

I'm not worried about it. just highlighting sharp practice

and what does that optional warranty provide that isn't already governed by the regular warranty?

this reply was to a post that the user has subsequently deleted. Odd.

• Advertisement

this reply was to a post that the user has subsequently deleted. Odd.
    For your information i was trying to edit my reply to you when i accidentally deleted it. Now no need to spend that 150 euro ok.

Advertisement