Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

St. Kilians German school open letter to DoES

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭LW2018

I really don't think this school will be the only outlier. I feel a number of students will feel extremely let down by the system when they see the grades that were calculated for them and I do hope, for their sake, that they shout and scream about the disadvantage bestowed upon them whereby a computer played 'God' in their results

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭cmssjone

Anyone see this today. When the rest of the schools in the country are seeing an uptick in grades, the German school is seeing a downgrade for what is supposed to German school. Makes you wonder what the circumstances where.

Article from the RTE is here https://www.rte.ie/news/education/2020/0908/1163950-german-results-st-killians/

Open letter from the principal, which doesn't read very well is here https://www.kilians.com/news/2020/leaving-certificate-german-results-letter-to-the-does/

Does anyone know how this situation could arise, is this school an outlier?

Once the previous distribution of each individual school was omitted from the algorithm this was always going to happen. Most fee paying schools will have been hit hard in a negative way and I can see legal action being taken by a good cohort of parents. Several teachers that I know, whose students would usually score top grades have had around half of their predicted grades brought down by at least a grade. There certainly wasn’t any grade inflation in these schools...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

They can resit the exam in in a few months.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

By the logic of that letter, native speakers of Irish and English should all get high marks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

I studied German in senior cycle only and sat it in the LC (almost 40 years ago). So, does a native speaker going to St Killian's sit the exact same exam as someone who has studied it for only a few years? If so, it hardly seems like a level playing pitch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭Icsics

Seamai wrote: »
    I studied German in senior cycle and sat it in the LC (almost 40 years ago). So, does a native speaker going to St Killian's sit the exact same exam as someone who has studied it for only a few years? If so, it hardly seems like a level playing pitch.

Yes, essentially they sit German as if it’s their second language. Same for all those sitting Polish etc, native speakers sitting second language papers. They can sit it in Nov

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I’ve a few contacts in schools within Eastern Leinster

The general feeling is that the dept actively averaged the results

Brought up poorer schools

Brought down better schools

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Does anyone know how this situation could arise, is this school an outlier?
    I imagine the magical algorithm they use just adjusts grades across the board, without taking school profile into account in any way, which in the case of St. Killian’s is ludicrous, and wrong.

Similarly, I imagine a good number of Gaelcholáistí had a good number of grades reduced in Irish, but the algorithm could probably take that into account more easily, because there are a lot more Gaelcholáistí than German schools. To the algorithm, St. Killian’s probably just looked like the German teachers were way too generous in their results, without accounting for the fact that they were actually being realistic in that case (and let’s be honest - they probably were still a bit generous, even if unintentionally so, because I imagine very few teachers didn’t err on the side of generosity in any school).

Seamai wrote: »
    I studied German in senior cycle only and sat it in the LC (almost 40 years ago). So, does a native speaker going to St Killian's sit the exact same exam as someone who has studied it for only a few years? If so, it hardly seems like a level playing pitch.
    If they’re a native speaker, they’re sitting all of their other subjects in their second (or even third language). I imagine that levels the playing field quite a bit. If anything, they’re still at a disadvantage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 466 ✭✭DangerScouse

I’ve a few contacts in schools within Eastern Leinster

The general feeling is that the dept actively averaged the results

Brought up poorer schools

Brought down better schools

I see no problem with that approach tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I see no problem with that approach tbh.

Lol!

By the logic of that letter, native speakers of Irish and English should all get high marks.
    No, not really. The German exam is mainly a test of the students ability to speak, write, and read German. They don’t have to study novels, poems, plays, and the media in German, like they do in Irish and english (unless it’s changed quite a bit since I did leaving cert German).
    You would expect a native speaker to do very well in an exam like leaving cert German, and native speakers do better on average in Irish. I would say that in general, people who speak english as a first language do better in the english exam than those for whom it’s not their first language too, wouldn’t you agree?
    Irish and english are more than just testing the student’s ability to communicate in those languages though, and the German exam isn’t, to the best of my knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

I don’t agree with the schools historical performance giving students an edge, and I also think applying bell curves is a disgrace. You should be awarded what you get ( in usual sittings ), no discrimination because you can’t afford a private school. I think the whole leaving cert process needs a rethink, it seems rotten to the core.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

RealJohn wrote: »
    I imagine the magical algorithm they use just adjusts grades across the board, without taking school profile into account in any way, which in the case of St. Killian’s is ludicrous, and wrong.

Similarly, I imagine a good number of Gaelcholáistí had a good number of grades reduced in Irish, but the algorithm could probably take that into account more easily, because there are a lot more Gaelcholáistí than German schools. To the algorithm, St. Killian’s probably just looked like the German teachers were way too generous in their results, without accounting for the fact that they were actually being realistic in that case (and let’s be honest - they probably were still a bit generous, even if unintentionally so, because I imagine very few teachers didn’t err on the side of generosity in any school).

I don’t think Kilians does that well from a points perspective anyway. It’s not an actual full German school. The German is very light touch with an emphasis on the kids with German speaking parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,426 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

<name snipped> was my German teacher from 1st to 6th year back in the day in a different school. Absolute hard as nails tiny woman who took zero ****. We used to call her Little Hitler.

If you yawned in her class and she saw you, she'd make you go over to the window, open it and stand there 'breathing in fresh air' while mortifying you the whole time.

No homework? Instant detention on Wednesday. There's be people queuing up at the end of the class with their homework notebooks awaiting her to write a detention note. If you didn't get your parent to sign it for the next class, she'd give you detention again.

At the start of the class she'd go around one by one and ask everyone a German word from a list of vocabulary we'd to learn for homework. Get too many wrong? You guessed it, detention.

I actually used to fear going to her class. :eek: had double German every Thursday morning at 9am, the horror.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭ReadySteadyGo

I don’t think Kilians does that well from a points perspective anyway. It’s not an actual full German school. The German is very light touch with an emphasis on the kids with German speaking parents.

Some figures from their blog 2019 results
    https://www.kilians.com/news/2019/leaving-certificate-results-2019/

9% received over 600 points
    38% received over 500 points

I don't know what national percentage looks like, but this looks very good to me

Some figures from their blog 2019 results
    https://www.kilians.com/news/2019/leaving-certificate-results-2019/

9% received over 600 points
    38% received over 500 points

I don't know what national percentage looks like, but this looks very good to me

https://www.kilians.com/news/2018/leaving-certificate-results-2018/

2018 finished with ten percent over 600 points.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

2018 finished with ten percent over 600 points.

How many in the class? How many children with additional needs get taken into the school in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

spurious wrote: »
    How many in the class? How many children with additional needs get taken into the school in the first place?

I think the point is that they were unjustly treated by the algorithm as high points is the norm in this school.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Mardy Bum wrote:
    I think the point is that they were unjustly treated by the algorithm as high points is the norm in this school.

It could be one child in a class of ten. Without the full picture it is cherry picking.

Every year the Leaving throws up cases of anomalies, unexpected and 'unfair' results. Most schools and students just get on with it.

spurious wrote: »
    It could be one child in a class of ten. Without the full picture it is cherry picking.

Every year the Leaving throws up cases of anomalies, unexpected and 'unfair' results. Most schools and students just get on with it.

From the open letter, there appears to be about 40 students in 2020. (They expected 50p.c. to get h1 in german, they predicted 19 h1).

From here. https://www.education.ie/en/find-a-school/School-Detail/?roll=60630W it looks like on average 70 students? 400 students/6 years.

This thread is focussed on their German results, and it seems clear that the algorithm was unable to understand that these students/this school are very strong in german.

But it looks like this school has had very strong students/results in all subjects for several years.

There are growing noises that high performing schools have lost out this year. And I think that is a wider issue but harder to prove in general.

I wonder what their points distribution looks like this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

I assume gaelscoil had the same issue with Irish? I mean I would expect they historically have high results. If the algorithm is not taking the school into account, surely they should be way down?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

screamer wrote: »
    I don’t agree with the schools historical performance giving students an edge, and I also think applying bell curves is a disgrace. You should be awarded what you get ( in usual sittings ), no discrimination because you can’t afford a private school. I think the whole leaving cert process needs a rethink, it seems rotten to the core.

And no discrimination because you can

It's not all D4 millionaire's children affected here. Many parents are really stretched, go without, and do everything else they can to put their child in a decent school

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

There’s probably a load of Polish families in schools who feel hard done by but won’t have the Irish times as a platform to air their grievances.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

A schools previous performance should never be considered when grading a student. A student should be graded on their ability and performance on the test/task.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

HerrKuehn wrote: »
    I assume gaelscoil had the same issue with Irish? I mean I would expect they historically have high results. If the algorithm is not taking the school into account, surely they should be way down?

Potentially, although There might be sufficient numbers of them in the national historic data for the algorithm to treat them better.

It might even have given a general uplift across all subjects to any cohort of students who do above average in their Irish jc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

Potentially, although There might be sufficient numbers of them in the national historic data for the algorithm to treat them better.

It might even have given a general uplift across all subjects to any cohort of students who do above average in their Irish jc.

yet, we haven't heard any complaints from them, so I assume they havent been disadvantaged in Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭cmssjone

A schools previous performance should never be considered when grading a student. A student should be graded on their ability and performance on the test/task.

It usually is. That’s why students sit exams. It is widely known that students that attend certain schools achieve higher grades than other schools. This happens year on year and should have been incorporated into the predictive grade algorithm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

This thread is focused on their German results, and it seems clear that the algorithm was unable to understand that these students/this school are very strong in German.

Anyone know what the formula\algorithm is?

I guess these students would be picked up as outliers for German and their results were flattened hence the outcry. Perfectly understandable outcry too.

Obviously the algorithm is not sophisticated enough to deal with cases like these.

I wouldn't be surprised to see more complaints like this coming out from high end fee paying schools.

I guess it's the nature of prediction. Never going to be perfect.

Advertisement