Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Aris presents: Surlaw-Battle of the States

• 16-08-2020 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭

Hello everyone and welcome to Surlaw-Battle of the States

For regulars who are familiar with Walrus, this is essentially the opposite, where the host picks the songs, you rate them (via PM) and then the Reveal is very much like how the Eurovision results are done.

Why I'm Doing It
    I really like to torture share with people my weird diverse taste in music

How It Will Work:
    -In the next post I will add a table, a Spotify Playlist and a YouTube Playlist with the 20 Songs in contention
    -What you have to do, is just listen to them and figure out which 10 you like the best
    -When you're ready Private Message me a numbered list from 1-10 of your choices (with 1 being your favourite of the songs and 10 being your 10th favourite)
    -First choices will earn 12 points, second 10 points, and third onwards 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 points respectively (just like in Eurovision)
    -Once I've closed sign ups and tallied up all the points, I'll do a reveal thread, going through how everyone ranked the songs and adding the points to the running total (again, just like Eurovision)

Why I Chose The Songs I Chose:
    All 20 songs have been on heavy rotation in my MP3 playlist for years. Initially I was planning to make this a pop edition but I am conscious that many Forum Gamers are really into rock music so I threw in some rock songs for good measure.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

For this Surlaw I decided to select 20 artists that are from or started their career in one of the U.S. States.
    I tried to avoid heavyweight names (so no Prince, MJ, Madonna, REM, Pearl Jam, Bruce etc), although there are some well known artists/songs.
    I will post individual YouTube links in the next few posts. For now:

YouTube playlist:
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUaRXycpvvkFm-QNQ-W24uDQ12ludupob

Spotify playlist (I think I made it public, but please let me know if I have done it wrong and you can't access it :) )
    https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4i77J0iBBIbSfnMJbdHgBs?si=lTyVggiiTxGI7MZeSKk0dg

and a table with the participants by state:

State Artist Song
    Minnesota Bora York Arrest Me
    Ohio Nine Inch Nails The Perfect Drug
    Washington Queensryche Della Brown
    Colorado OneRepublic Something I Need
    New York Slow Knights Signs Of life
    Nevada Brandon Flowers Can't Deny My Love
    Rhode Island Thrillchaser Emptiness
    California The Cramps Ultra Twist
    Georgia Boy Harsher Face The Fire
    Virginia Wild Nothing Letting Go
    Massachusetts Rachel Platten Stand By You
    Arizona The Summer Set The Night is Young
    Texas Conan Gray Wish You Were Sober
    Michigan Inner City Good Life
    Florida Marilyn Manson This Is The New ****
    Pennsylvania Pretty Poison Catch Me I'm Falling
    Alaska Portugal. The Man Feel It Still
    Arkansas Beth Ditto Savoir Faire
    Oregon The Dandy Warhols Horse Pills
    New Jersey Skid Row I Remember You

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Irish Aris wrote: »
    For this Surlaw I decided to select 20 artists that are from or made a career in one of the U.S. States.
    I tried to avoid heavyweight names (so no Pronce, MJ, Madonna, REM, Pearl Jam, Bruce etc), although there are some well known artists/songs.
    I will post individual YouTube links in the next few posts. For now:

YouTube playlist:
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUaRXycpvvkFm-QNQ-W24uDQ12ludupob

Spotify playlist (I think I made it public, but please let me know if I have done it wrong and you can't access it :) )
    https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4i77J0iBBIbSfnMJbdHgBs?si=lTyVggiiTxGI7MZeSKk0dg

and a table with the participants by state:

State Artist Song
    Minnesota Bora York Arrest Me
    Ohio Nine Inch Nails The Perfect Drug
    Washington Queensryche Della Brown
    Colorado OneRepublic Something I Need
    New York Slow Knights Signs Of life
    Nevada Brandon Flowers Can't Deny My Love
    Rhode Island Thrillchaser Emptiness
    California The Cramps Ultra Twist
    Georgia Boy Harsher Face The Fire
    Virginia Wild Nothing Letting Go
    Massachusetts Rachel Platten Stand By You
    Arizona The Summer Set The Night is Young
    Texas Conan Gray Wish You Were Sober
    Michigan Inner City Good Life
    Florida Marilyn Manson This Is The New ****
    Pennsylvania Pretty Poison Catch Me I'm Falling
    Alaska Portugal. The Man Feel It Still
    Arkansas Beth Ditto Savoir Faire
    Oregon The Dandy Warhols Horse Pills
    New Jersey Skid Row I Remember You
    Nice, ft my favourite band. :D

Minnesota: Bora York-Arrest Me

Ohio: Nine Inch Nails-The Perfect Drug

Washington: Queensryche-Della Brown

Colorado: OneRepublic-Something I Need

New York: Slow Knights-Signs Of Life

Nevada: Brandon Flowers-Can't Deny My Love

Rhode Island: Thrillchaser-Emptiness

California: The Cramps-Ultra Twist

Georgia: Boy Harsher-Face The Fire

Virginia: Wild Nothing-Letting Go

Massachusetts: Rachel Platten-Stand By You

Arizona: The Summer Set-The Night Is Young

Texas: Conan Gray-Wish You Were Sober

Michigan: Inner City-Good Life

Florida: Marilyn Manson-This Is The New ****

• Advertisement

Pennsylvania: Pretty Poison-Catch Me I'm Falling

Alaska: Portugal. The Man-Feel It Still

Arkansas: Beth Ditto-Savoir Faire

Oregon: The Dandy Warhols-Horse Pills

New Jersey: Skid Row-I Remember You

• Registered Users Posts: 10,636 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

For this Surlaw I decided to select 20 artists that are from or made a career in one of the U.S. States
    Nice theme Aris, though I'm disappointed there's not 50 songs :p

Hopefully I'll have time for this. It'll take something special to stop Manson winning my vote, This Is The New Shıt is probably my favourite of theirs. I often listen to it while driving to footie to hype myself up!

Nice theme Aris, though I'm disappointed there's not 50 songs :p

Hopefully I'll have time for this. It'll take something special to stop Manson winning my vote, This Is The New Shıt is probably my favourite of theirs. I often listen to it while driving to footie to hype myself up!

I was thinking of doing something longer - maybe like 40 or 50 states in 2 semi-finals and the top-10 going to the final-very much like Eurovision. Maybe something we can explore in the future :)

I will leave this open for at least 2 weeks, so everyone can have a chance to listen to the songs. I'm hoping to get at least 10 people voting - hopefully 15 (or more :) ), so the reveal will be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Great theme Aris. At a glance, only know 6 acts and 1 song so really looking forward to getting a listen during the week

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Great playlist. Wasn't able to rule anything out after the first listen, so this will be tough.

• Advertisement

Oh great. I'll have a listen :)

I'll have a listen over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

...and done!

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 84,808 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I'll have a listen over the weekend.

Same

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

giphy.gif

Hello everyone.

Between work and all the competitions and tournaments running at the moment, I completely forgot about my Surlaw.

I will leave this open for a while longer, as I don't have enough numbers to run an interesting reveal/countdown.
    Not sure for how long, but it can be another couple of weeks. I am thinking that to make this meaningful I would need at least 10 participants and I'm not even close to that number.

My apologies to the people that have already submitted their selections - please bear with me :o

Thank you all and have a great weekend!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭JohnGreenFan

Hello everyone.

Between work and all the competitions and tournaments running at the moment, I completely forgot about my Surlaw.

I will leave this open for a while longer, as I don't have enough numbers to run an interesting reveal/countdown.
    Not sure for how long, but it can be another couple of weeks. I am thinking that to make this meaningful I would need at least 10 participants and I'm not even close to that number.

My apologies to the people that have already submitted their selections - please bear with me :o

Thank you all and have a great weekend!!

Forgot all about this! Will get a submission in this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭Sawduck

I will hopefully get around to this within the next few days

Never got around to it last weekend but had my first listen this morning, and am having my second listen now (while spending my Saturday doing lots of very tedious crap for work. :( )

Interesting mix, only a handful of ones I knew previously. Based on first listen I got 6 definite Yes's and 4 definite No's, which leaves me with 10 Maybe's to try and whittle down for the four final scores. There's one song there in particular that I'm struggling with, because I really like the song itself but really dislike the singer's voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Finally got around to this, really good selection of songs, my top two swapped places after my third listen

• Advertisement

Hello everyone, Happy Friday!!

As we are on the weekend again, I post another reminder on my surlaw which accepts selections/points.

I currently have 5 participants (6 if I include myself) - hoping to get to at least 10 before I start the reveal.
    I will leave this open for another 2 weeks - most likely until Sunday 20th September and do the reveal the week after that.

Have a great weekend everyone!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

I will get an entry in sometime.

I have my 10! I just need to organise them now and then you'll have them Aris :)

Hello everyone, hope you all had a great weekend!

I haven't forgotten about this, but will leave this open for another 2-3 weeks because I still have low number of participants.
    So another post to boost this.
    I will be on holidays for the next couple of weeks, so I will do the reveal when I'm back. Therefore this will remain open until Friday the 9th of October, with a reveal on Sunday the 11th of October. Plenty of time to listen to the songs.

Participants so far (as a reminder, it's been weeks since some of you send me your selections :) )
    Also Starring LeVar Burton
    ShaneU
    Kolido
    Homer J. Fong
    Sawduck
    Reberetta
    JohnGreenFan
    and in the morning Diamonds of frost

Have a great week everyone, here's a song to start the week in style:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭Clarabel

I'm not really sure what I'm doing BUT I'm really enjoying your playlist...so thanks for that!

Clarabel wrote: »
    I'm not really sure what I'm doing BUT I'm really enjoying your playlist...so thanks for that!

Thank you Clarabel!
    The easiest way to describe it is:
    at the end you can send me your top 10.
    We then allocate points Eurovision style:
    your number 1 gets 12 points, your number 2 gets 10 points, your number 3 gets 8 points etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,636 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I finally, finally, finally got myself a couple of listens and entered! Cheers Aris :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Is this still happening? Hasn't been a Walrus or Surlaw for ages now

ShaneU wrote: »
    Is this still happening? Hasn't been a Walrus or Surlaw for ages now

Hi Shane/everyone,
    apologies I have been distracted with work and personal stuff.

I will probably have time during my Christmas break to do the reveal - I have 11 participants so it shouldn't take more than a couple of hours.

If anyone else wants to start a Surlaw, please go ahead and organise it. :)

• Advertisement

After 4 months of idleness, I am now in a position to do the reveal of my Surlaw!!
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=115724116#post115724116

Advertisement