Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭checknraise

Its my understanding that "our man" was tested multiple times while in Russia along with everyone else. It was only on the last day that he was flagged as having the virus and was stopped from boarding his flight.

If what we know about the virus is correct you would imagine everyone who played the tournament should be in quarantine as there is an extremely good chance everyone has it.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭RooksPawn

People writing "our man" and "him" are either guessing (there were girls in the squad too) or they are giving away too much information. Unfair to the families involved.

I agree it was crazy to go out of the country at all at this time, especially to such a emote place - three flights each way to get there and back perhaps?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

No, they're reading the news.

Murmansk is Dublin-Moscow and Moscow-Murmansk. And that somewhere as remote as Murmansk is just two flights from Dublin is of course part of the global problem here.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭pummice

spidersweb wrote: »
    I blame the government.

You spelt that word incorrectly. It should be Gubbermint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 DancingSpaniel

The player is in quarantine in Siberia with travel and borders closing across Europe. What a horrible situation to be in. We all know him. I hope he gets back home safely and think we should stop berating him for an unwise decision.

• Advertisement

Murmansk isn't anywhere near Siberia btw. It's in Murmansk.

Agree with your post otherwise though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

cdeb wrote: »
    Murmansk isn't anywhere near Siberia btw. It's in Murmansk.
    I must admit, I had to look it up myself.

Where-is-Murmansk-on-map-Russia.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭spidersweb

Its my understanding that "our man" was tested multiple times while in Russia along with everyone else. It was only on the last day that he was flagged as having the virus and was stopped from boarding his flight.

If what we know about the virus is correct you would imagine everyone who played the tournament should be in quarantine as there is an extremely good chance everyone has it.

Or nobody actually has it there? Not confirmed yet. He looked and sounded fine on the video he sent around. So, just a major bummer to have to be stuck in Q for two weeks, which is what the Russians are doing more and more now to be on the safer side as they tighten up things even more than before.

Nobody is to blame anyway. Murmansk is probably among the least likely places on the planet to pick it up from.

Beginning to wonder if the panic and hysteria is not getting the better of prudence and proportional thinking. Cheltenham, as was pointed out, was surely vastly more risky.

Life has to go on? At some point. Candidates tournament seem very safe and a good way to get through the lock down phase.

Chess24 special offer of 40% off and only 7:99 a month is a great offer.

The player is in quarantine in Siberia with travel and borders closing across Europe. What a horrible situation to be in. We all know him. I hope he gets back home safely and think we should stop berating him for an unwise decision.

No, many people have no idea who the player is and it is irrelevant anyway.

Nothing unwise involved here and or to be blamed for. So, nobody should be berating anybody. Just bad luck and things are moving at incredible speed everywhere anyway. Just got caught on the wrong side of some bad luck.

Main thing is that he is safe and sound and will be fine. Two weeks from now and he will be home and no danger to anybody.

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2020/03/16/irish-citizen-in-russias-arctic-hospitalized-with-suspected-coronavirus-a69641

The young man had competed in a chess tournament held last weekend at the Meridian Hotel in central Murmansk, the Murmansk Bulletin reported. All of the competitors underwent coronavirus tests, and the Irish man’s results came back as “preliminarily positive.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭sodacat11

I don't blame the youngster, I blame his parents.

sodacat11 wrote: »
    I don't blame the youngster, I blame his parents.
    I would not blame anybody. Bad luck with bad timing.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭RooksPawn

Nobody is to blame anyway. Murmansk is probably among the least likely places on the planet to pick it up from.

Surely there's a huge wrong assumption here? It was only a 3-day tournament and the incubation period of Covid-19 is usually reckoned to be 5+ days.

So isn't it almost certain that the person concerned had been infected prior to getting to Murmansk (especially as they had no prior cases there) and this is almost certainly a case of community transmission in Ireland.

I hope that somebody connected with the group has informed the HSE but it wasn't on the lunchtime news.

RooksPawn wrote: »
    Surely there's a huge wrong assumption here? It was only a 3-day tournament and the incubation period of Covid-19 is usually reckoned to be 5+ days.

So isn't it almost certain that the person concerned had been infected prior to getting to Murmansk (especially as they had no prior cases there) and this is almost certainly a case of community transmission in Ireland.

I hope that somebody connected with the group has informed the HSE but it wasn't on the lunchtime news.

It is very logical to assume that a country with such a low rate is safe, and especially a far off relatively isolated place like as in here. Yes agree that makes sense.

However, the fact is that "the Irish man’s results came back as “preliminarily positive.”

So, we don't even know if he really was infected at all (My guess is that he isn't/wasn't) and they are just forcing people to be in Q for two weeks soon after they had arrived only when departing (policies changing by the day if not the hour, all over the world) Now Russia has a policy of not letting foreigners into the country anymore until May!

Nobody who went there thought they had the virus and maybe it was just a false positive and they are just being ultra safe. Then again maybe this is an incredible coincidence and an extremely unlucky and rare case of community transmission in Ireland. So far I think Ireland has about 300 (?) out of 4.5 million population, so if we double, treble of multiply by a factor of ten, the odds of having the virus are tiny. Maybe he was just amazingly unlucky?

Someone has to get it I guess. I agree the trip to Murmansk itself wasn't particularly dangerous - there's more cases here, if you believe the respective numbers. The real unfortunate aspect is being stuck in a Russian hospital for a fortnight. While repatriation rights will exist in a fortnight, the question of course is - will planes be flying?

That said, mayn't be the worst of things to get it out of the way, if the HSE are even half-way right. And if getting it once means you can't get it again for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Joedryan

It is very logical to assume that a country with such a low rate is safe, and especially a far off relatively isolated place like as in here. Yes agree that makes sense.

However, the fact is that "the Irish man’s results came back as “preliminarily positive.”

So, we don't even know if he really was infected at all (My guess is that he isn't/wasn't) and they are just forcing people to be in Q for two weeks soon after they had arrived only when departing (policies changing by the day if not the hour, all over the world) Now Russia has a policy of not letting foreigners into the country anymore until May!

Nobody who went there thought they had the virus and maybe it was just a false positive and they are just being ultra safe. Then again maybe this is an incredible coincidence and an extremely unlucky and rare case of community transmission in Ireland. So far I think Ireland has about 300 (?) out of 4.5 million population, so if we double, treble of multiply by a factor of ten, the odds of having the virus are tiny. Maybe he was just amazingly unlucky?

ahem. As with your Russia comment earlier, dont trust any figures coming out of there.

Bear in mind also travel, airports, stuck in an airplane, etc.

On the candidates today was bizarre, multiple people coughing (MVL especially) and poor ol Karpov didnt hear about the virus was going around trying to shake everybodys hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 59,539 ✭✭✭✭namenotavailablE

Agadmator's chess channel is reporting that the remaining rounds of the Candidates have been postponed.

Agadmator's chess channel is reporting that the remaining rounds of the Candidates have been postponed.
    "Agadmator" The Gerry Springer of chess - or far worse.

Even he can get something right sometimes. A truly awful Youtuber though. Can barely play chess it seems. He might be worse than the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭brilliantboy

Even he can get something right sometimes. A truly awful Youtuber though. Can barely play chess it seems. He might be worse than the virus.

Can barely play chess but probably still strong enough to compete in our national championships :o

Can barely play chess but probably still strong enough to compete in our national championships :o

Really? Is he over 1900? You would never know it, to judge by his chess videos, maybe he would slip in at the bottom I guess. His videos are worth a look to appreciate how bad it can be done.

He is not the worst though. The other giant is this guy:

https://youtu.be/432p0RdkkCg

• Advertisement

Here's his FIDE ratings data: https://ratings.fide.com/card.phtml?event=14531348

Not a massively high rating, sure, but high enough to grant that he can in fact play chess :)

What's that free net pay calculator thing? I haven't bothered to click on it

My spreadsheet? It's for calculating your net pay given a gross value & your tax status. Pretty comprehensive and easy to use, if I say so myself. If you download it, let me know what you think :)

My spreadsheet? It's for calculating your net pay given a gross value & your tax status. Pretty comprehensive and easy to use, if I say so myself. If you download it, let me know what you think :)

What is it doing on a chess site? Where are the moderators when we need them?

I understand that it's permitted to include links in the signature line.

Here's his FIDE ratings data: https://ratings.fide.com/card.phtml?event=14531348

Not a massively high rating, sure, but high enough to grant that he can in fact play chess :)
    Wow! Ten years ago he was even 2020! Like I said

"over 1900? You would never know it, to judge by his chess videos, maybe he would slip in at the bottom I guess.
    His videos are worth a look to appreciate how bad it can be done. "

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

sodacat11 wrote: »
    What is it doing on a chess site? Where are the moderators when we need them?
    You can turn off signatures in the settings somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭macelligott

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 DancingSpaniel

Here's an account from the ChessMates founder, Jurriaan Kien:
    https://en.chessbase.com/post/chess-adventures-in-the-time-of-corona
    Seems quite arrogant about the affair. A global pandemic should not interfere with his chess event!

Advertisement