Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sleep Apnoea and CPAP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea in November and started with a CPAP machine last week. The difference it made almost from the first day was huge. Waking up much earlier now feeling way more refreshed and have way more energy during the day. I don't mind the mask at all to be honest, but I can see how it would irritate some people. Looking forward to seeing if it makes further improvements over the next few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Glebee

They replaced my Philips Dreamstation with a new machine, looks the very same as old one. They took old one away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

Thanks I got a new Dreamstation too for a 10-year-old System One on Friday. I'd already retired it when I saw the recall so it will do nicely as a spare. They didn't ship a humidifier but said they'd send one when I followed up with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,113 ✭✭✭✭Water John

This new treatment option using an implant looks a good option when it becomes available;

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

A hack my grandma told me overtime reduces sleep apnoea to near zero.

• Don't eat anything 12 hrs before bed time. Just plain water.
    • If possible, reduce room temperature below 15c

Try it for a week and let me know if you have any differences in your sleep pattern. Or call me a liar.

• Advertisement

12 hours before bedtime?

So if you go to bed at midnight, you can't eat after midday?!?

Exactly, but it works. You have to do it for a week or longer to see gradual improvements.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,048 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Going to bed hungry is a guarantee of not being able to sleep.

Obstructive sleep apnoea is associated with decreased insulin sensitivity.

https://erj.ersjournals.com/content/31/5/1054

Decreased insulin sensitivity usually happens when you're obese and/or on a high sugar-fructose diet.

If you are eating high carb diet during the day, insulin stays elevated all day long and in the evening at the speed of light dropping down, that's when you feel "starving sensation" and perhaps that's what interfere when you're trying to sleep.

Giving 10-12 hours food free window before bedtime will help to settle your hormones (incl. cortisol) and improve sleep pattern. However, if you don't address insulin sensitivity issue will/might lead to type 2 diabetes in a long run and sleep apnoea is the first call.

Fasting increases production of orexin-A, a neurotransmitter tied to alertness. Specifically, people who fast have lower orexin-A levels at night, and higher levels in the daytime, so they feel more alert during the day and enjoy more restful sleep.

https://www.sleepfoundation.org/physical-health/intermittent-fasting-sleep

That's interesting - I am a bit overweight, though not obese, but I am absolutely not consuming high sugar-fructose foods. Still I will read it up and see if there is any links.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭vidapura

Hi folks,

sorry if this question is already answered.. but since boards.ie changed the site I can't figure out how to search a particular thread.

I have been using a Resmed Airsense 10 for a couple of years. And am pretty tired of paying a hundred euros a month for it.

I don't qualify for a medical card so have to go through this ridiculous rigmarole with the drugs repayment scheme all the time...

I would much rather just buy the machine for a reasonable amount of money.

When I search for the airsense websites come up like :

and

Does anyone have personal experience of these guys ?

Or know of a place to get secondhand ones? (is that a bad idea ?)

Thanks

Have you ever tried one of free options to cure sleep apnea?

How about some examples of 'free options'? Or is that information only available on a particular website?

I knew someone who had sleep apnea for a good while and eventually he starts water fast. On the 4th night fasting he said I slept like never before 9 hours straight.

And a hack my grandma told me overtime reduces sleep apnoea to near zero.

Don't eat anything 12 hrs before bed time. Just plain water.

If possible, reduce room temperature below 15c

Try it for a week and let me know if you have any differences in your sleep pattern. Or call me a liar.

Please check my previous post link below about fasting and sleep apnea

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/120198265/#Comment_120198265

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭elacsap

Hi tnegun,

I'm looking for advice/guidance please!

Can I ask when did you first contact Philips about getting a replacement and what contact number/email address did you use? Any other tips most welcome also. THANKS!

Its a while back but I think this was the place https://www.philipssrcupdate.expertinquiry.com/?ulang=en

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Field east

micro/ pin sized holes used to develop in the bottom of my aluminium container. Why, I don’t know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Was it de-ionised water you were using?

Is it still occurring?

Hi.

A good bit covered in this other thread on purchasing.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058266672/sleep-apnoea-apnea-osa-diagnosis-and-support/p1

Personally, at the price of my €575 purchase, I wouldn't even consider secondhand.

Hi @Andrea B.

Thanks for you response.

Yah, I actually asked ResMed to quote me for purchase of a machine.. they sent me an invoice saying it would be €1350.

I then asked them would they not just sell me the (now secondhand ) one I have here at home.

And they replied that that price WAS for the secondhand one!! 🤣

They want €1750 for a brand new Airsense 10 Autoset... ferdeluvva... I hung up while laughing...

cpapstore are quoting me €750 for the same thing.

AND I'm just off the phone with Irish Life (my health insurance provider) and they say they will cover 50% of the purchase cost.

Just in case anyone else missed that:

YOUR HEALTH INSURANCE WILL PROBABLY COVER A LARGE PART OF THE PURCHASE PRICE !!!

😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁

• Advertisement

The other question tho when considering buying is The Data...

Like, if you are diagnosed as needing CPAP ... and you have insurance that hinges on it (I dunno .. car insurance , life insurance)

Do you need to be able to produce the sleep data?

Currently I'm renting from ResMed.. the Airsense uses 3G to send the data to them .. and the consultant gets a report.

So, with ResMed out of the loop.. what happens.. or, rather, what needs to happen?

Great, and with your health insurance.

Just off phone with VHI and they won't cover.

Wrt data collection, best ask your consultant. You might be overthinking it re insurance etc.

VHI won't cover it??

Well, you know what do to then!! Give the others a call .. always worth reviewing your premium regularly..

VHI won't contribute anything unfortunately, if you have familiy or friends in the UK there is a good saving to be made by purchasing their with delivery to the UK as there is no VAT on medical devices there. I purchase all my supplies via the UK to family and collect when I'm over or if they are traveling bring them here. I then submit them as part of my tax return for a further 20% back. The savings buying the machine outright and a years worth of supplies can be significant.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Dtoffee

I bought a Resmed 10 from them and no problem, two years on and it still works perfectly.

Actually when I say no problem, the only problem I had was the company were not on the Health Boards list of approved suppliers (ie their mates who are part of a clique ripping us all off as far as I can guess) so I couldn't claim the cost back. I asked for a list of these so called approved suppliers but got no reply. Its money for old rope if you rent out these machine.

I would love to know just how much is paid over each year on rentals under the medical card system and do they put the machine orders to tender each year or simply go ahead and renew without question..... but that would be like trying to find out how much Diagio pay in water charges.

Yours, cynical and not stupid enough to line some chancers pockets.

@Dtoffee Hi, you've raised some interesting points there... did you say you would claim it back from the Health Board?

I wasn't aware of that possibility.. maybe you could expand.

All I know of is renting from ResMed PEI and trying to get it back via the prescription repayment scheme .. which is a right pain in the butt..

Hence why I'm lookin at buying one...

@tnegun Could I please ask who you order from for delivery to the UK?

Also, submitting as part of the tax return.. is that like what I do with other medical expenses yeah?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Wanderingmind

My OH uses a Nippy 3+ NIV machine for assistance.

Does anyone ever panic while wearing the mask?

• Advertisement

I don't anyway.. well.. actually got a bit of a fright one night when the electrically warmed tube stopped working and I got "rained out" with humidifier water pouring down the tube into my nose.. yee..

Advertisement