Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dealz

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

It's a sauce you pour over pasta and stick in the oven, self explanatory really

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Not really self explanatory seeing as they mention pasta in the title and theres no pasta in the product and Dealz do sell instant meals sometimes. Id never heard of them anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

2 for €1.49 Roma pasta bakes, gives Aldi and Lidl a run for their money

My apologies lads

Ragu pasta bake sauces

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Nollog

Thargor wrote: »
    Not really self explanatory seeing as they mention pasta in the title and theres no pasta in the product and Dealz do sell instant meals sometimes. Id never heard of them anyway.

You pour raw pasta into an over-proof dish, pour the contents of the jar over the pasta, and then stick it in the oven for 30 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

t3171760-54-thumb-Thread%20Direction.jpg?d=1270781922

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭kyeev

Faith+1 wrote: »
    t3171760-54-thumb-Thread%20Direction.jpg?d=1270781922

10 second lol while at work... Not good

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Nollog

GpvejmY.jpg
    Here they are, pretty great deal.

Also got some twinkies from the conversation on the previous page.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

2x120g Cadbury FruitNut for €1.49
    Possible other versions too.

One bar normally costs €2.29 in Tesco

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭littlevillage

I am a regular buyer in Dealz shops and think they are the biz ... but I am now a bit more cagey about what I will buy there.

For example, I am very suspicious about their food products.

Are they possibly a bit suspect ?

I will elaborate ... eg. are they maybe a bit close to the Best Before date or not 100% right in terms of quality .. where maybe the producer had already packaged up the product before realizing it wasn't quite right, but at the same time close enough that most customers probably wouldn't notice so they allow it out the door anyway .. but maybe wouldn't risk it going to their premier channels like the big multiples.. instead lumping onto the Costcutters like Dealz or various pound shops etc. just to recoup some of their money

Over the years I have bought

chocolate (Boxed gift chocolates, Wispa bars),
    crisps (Perri onion rings, Hunky Dorry's Variety pack),
    sauces (Heinz Ketchup, HP BBQ sauce etc.)

and for the life of me all were a little bit 'off'. Not so far off that I couldn't use them but just not as good as you would expect

Your thoughts ?

I see other posters mention ready-meals and prepared Lasagne etc. I would be very cautious!!!

I am a regular buyer in Dealz shops and think they are the biz ... but I am now a bit more cagey about what I will buy there.

I will elaborate ... eg. are they maybe a bit close to the Best Before date or not 100% right in terms of quality .. where maybe the producer had already packaged up the product before realizing it wasn't quite right, but at the same time close enough that most customers probably wouldn't notice so they allow it out the door anyway .. but maybe wouldn't risk it going to their premier channels like the big multiples.. instead lumping onto the Costcutters like Dealz or various pound shops etc. just to recoup some of their money

Over the years I have bought

and for the life of me all were a little bit 'off'. Not so far off that I couldn't use them but just not as good as you would expect

Your thoughts ?

You are talking utter nonsense. I've tried a number of products from Dealz including some of those microwave meals that Tesco charge over 3 euro for and never once have I noticed anything suspect or a little bit off about them. They sell exactly the same products as you find in Tesco and the like and to suggest otherwise is just nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭RayCon

Maybe it's the low price that's making you suspicious

You are talking utter nonsense. I've tried a number of products from Dealz including some of those microwave meals that Tesco charge over 3 euro for and never once have I noticed anything suspect or a little bit off about them. They sell exactly the same products as you find in Tesco and the like and to suggest otherwise is just nonsense.

That's a fair enough reply .. and maybe I'm being paranoid or its the placebo effect. (Your mind sometimes plays tricks on you, you get the outcome you were expecting, regardless)

I would like to hear from others as well though ?

RayCon wrote: »
    Maybe it's the low price that's making you suspicious

I suppose really I should have done a blind taste test on some unsuspecting subjects to see if they notice any difference.

Anyway, just thought I'd bring it up to see if anybody else had the same experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2860378/Stores-Britain-selling-fake-bottle-Head-Shoulders-shampoo-containing-sex-change-chemical.html

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Dealz is owned by poundland uk so will usually have UK market goods. So coke & cadburys chocolate may be different recpies, not necessarily better or worse. In the snack forum people were complaining about UK/EU cadbury in most shops here now.

I would trust dealz not be selling counterfeit a lot more than other €2 type shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭et101

Am a regular shopper in Dealz and have never noticed any problems with their products. Although I would advise that people watch out for bargains that are not bargains (ie. jaffa cakes,you can get cheaper in Lidl/Aldi or even Tesco, own brands of course). Sweets and biscuits are great value but as with everything else you need to keep your wits about you but super shop in my humble opinion!!

You have proof the Dealz were selling it or are you just making assumptions?

You said they were ridiculous for being concerned about the products purchased in a discount stores. I Just linked an article that confirms that it is possible for fakes to get onto the store shelves. I made no claim against dealz and shop there often.

You said they were ridiculous for being concerned about the products purchased in a discount stores. I Just linked an article that confirms that it is possible for fakes to get onto the store shelves. I made no claim against dealz and shop there often.

Where exactly did I say that? I didn't realise that we were discussing discount stores and not just Dealz.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭et101

A-G, A-G-R, A-G-R-O. AGRO!!!!!! Here we go again. People calm down, we're talking discount stores here!!..... :D

• Advertisement

but maybe wouldn't risk it going to their premier channels like the big multiples.. instead lumping onto the Costcutters like Dealz or various pound shops etc. just to recoup some of their money

It's in the post you replied to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

The milk chocolate whole brazil nuts at €1.49 an ok-sized bag are like confectionery heroin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭podge018

so is the peanut brittle :(

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

podge018 wrote: »
    so is the peanut brittle :(

is this the 4 bar packs? or this single one.

http://www.dealz.ie/peanut-brittle-240g

I was wondering if either was the type of toffee that pulls fillings out?

I am not trying to rag on Dealz or any other pound shops .. but to add to my earlier posts ...

I have had some bad experiences with some of the 'Irish' pound shop purchases in the past too

with

Deodorant - was left with a nasty rash.. I don't have sensitive skin, so god knows what was in it
    Razors - nearly cut the throat off myself.. the blade seem corroded or not properly sharpened, assuming it was counterfeit or recycled

Both were "branded".

Discount shops provide a huge amount of bargains and effectively keep the other shops honest...and stop rip offs, like the HDMI cable swindle etc.

Everyone likes a bargain, but I also don't want to get food poisoned or require hospital treatment after consuming/using a product that was supposed to be binned by a producer and found its way 'out the back door' onto the streets or indeed is a complete fake to begin with.

So I will finish up my little rant with a bit of latin ... caveat emptor

(which translates to something like “Let the buyer beware!”)

Happy Shopping :-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

When did seaweed nuts become a thing? or caramel nuts?
    109647.jpg109645.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

snubbleste wrote: »
    109647.jpg109645.jpg

Ah come on now snubbs, have you not been to the fancier drinking establishments of Galway that do be do be serving da nuts and de posh crackers to da peeplez?

The seaweed ones are a nice accompaniment to wine or beer, the caramel ones are a bit too sweet for me, but I'd eat them if I was hungry.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Frigating

snubbleste wrote: »
    109647.jpg109645.jpg

Fcuking love seaweed nuts, me.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,769 ✭✭✭✭unkel

The seaweed nuts are also known as Japanese rice crackers

Love them myself!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Documentary on UK TV showed the pound shop trick with branded goods.
    They are cheaper because they are smaller sizes.

Dealz had some cheap lucozade not so long ago where the competition on the label was over.

Advertisement