Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recommend a tent

Options
  • 17-06-2009 1:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭

Looking to invest in a decent sized and well stictched tent.
    Had an oldschool triangle tent something like this one, but it's time to invest in a new one.

Needs to be very waterproof. I don't mind carrying the extra bit of weight when I know that I'm gonna be dry when the rain hits.

Sleep 3 comfortably, maybe fit 4/5 sitting down for eating/talking and what not.

I like the teepee stlye tents but havent really seen any that have a proper ground mat. The tent needs to have some lastability.

Any help/pointers would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭kinkstr

There was an offer in argos for a 3 man for 35 i think, ive used it twice and cant complain, kept me dry and had a decent porch, would seat 4 inside, or 2 in the porch, cant get onto the arogs site now but ill try get a link when i can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

Was offered a Vango Equinox 350 for 250 yoyos.
    Any knowledge of them at all? I know they don't come with a ground sheet as standard for the storage area which is something I'm not really keen on. It's great having resistant outer sheeting, but when the water comes up under the tent you're pretty much damned anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Da Bounca wrote: »
    Was offered a Vango Equinox 350 for 250 yoyos.
    Any knowledge of them at all? I know they don't come with a ground sheet as standard for the storage area which is something I'm not really keen on. It's great having resistant outer sheeting, but when the water comes up under the tent you're pretty much damned anyway.

I've used Equinoxes a good few times and they're a grand oul' tent to be sure. Quite large when folded away in the bag mind you, so not the most portable.

Haven't bought a new tent in a while myself, so I'm not sure what the current market is like, but €250 strikes me as being a little pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

Da Bounca wrote: »
    Sleep 3 comfortably, maybe fit 4/5 sitting down for eating/talking and what not.

I like the teepee stlye tents but havent really seen any that have a proper ground mat. The tent needs to have some lastability.

Any help/pointers would be appreciated.

If you like the teepee type tent then there is an American company called Golite and they do ultralight 4 Season Mountain teepee tents. They have one for three people called the Shangri-la 3 and a 4 man called Shangri-La 4.

http://www.golite.com/Product/proddetail.aspx?p=SH6125&s=1

I have been interested in these tents for a while but I bought a new tent last year and dont really need another one in my house (I have 4 now).

I actually dont think I have ever read a bad review for the Shangri-La 3 formally known as the Hex 3. The tent comes in 3 sections, there is the outer, the inner known as the nest, and a floor. Basicly you can have 3 tents in one. A: You decide to leave the inner at home and just the use the outer. B: Use the fly and the the floor C: Use the ouer and the inner.

Had I known of this tent before I bought by Hilleberg I would have bought it for sure.

I have loads of other ideas for you but if you have any questions just ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

Pretty cool design on the Shangri-La, but it looks like you have to purchase each part seperately.
    So a Shangri-La 4 would cost $875 in total for the floor, inner and out layers.
    Bit pricey for me, trying not to breach the €250 barrier, €300 tops.

• Advertisement
Advertisement