Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eufy Doorbell

• 12-05-2020 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

I have been looking for this to be released in the UK for a while now and it’s now available from the Eufy website.
    Reviews look promising

https://www.eufylife.com/uk/products/17/112/video-doorbell
    Ordered and delivery in 2 weeks

11.2kWp E/W split arra. Mayo

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

S' wrote: »
    I have been looking for this to be released in the UK for a while now and it’s now available from the Eufy website.
    Reviews look promising

https://www.eufylife.com/uk/products/17/112/video-doorbell
    Ordered and delivery in 2 weeks

I have a Ring doorbell (also Amazon) but I'm looking to change to something that has Google Home Display and Android TV integration as well as Home Assistant integration. Does this?

Having a chargeable battery is one of my requirements, I'm in a rented property and don't want to run a cable or use the existing. I'd have bought a Nest if it wasn't for this.

After further investigation it turns out this Eufy doorbell requires cabling and has absolutely no other smart home integration so is no good for me
    https://www.techhive.com/article/3447758/eufy-video-doorbell-review.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Worth looking at the Arlo Camera Doorbell. The reviews have been great and no subscription required if you have the Arlo hub

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Worth looking at the Arlo Camera Doorbell. The reviews have been great and no subscription required if you have the Arlo hub

Pity there's no battery version of the Arlo video doorbell

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

After further investigation it turns out this Eufy doorbell requires cabling and has absolutely no other smart home integration so is no good for me

The UK version is the battery one.
    The review you linked to is for the wired version currently only available in the US, I’m on the opposite boat, I want a decent wired one and not a battery one!

Video review comparing some battery ones here: https://youtu.be/Jcd-GqCPLNE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭S'

Battery version review in link below
    https://youtu.be/D_uIlgZRsfk

11.2kWp E/W split arra. Mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Daveq

I've been waiting for this to launch this side of the Atlantic too, but seems sold out now.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭asgaard

Hey

Can anyone recommend a good wireless doorbell ? There is one on sale through Groupon, but had a quick look on some youtube wireless doorbell. What's the battery version life like (is it akku or battery) ? What about wired version-can I connect with existing doorbell (don't know if it's 24 or 240V ) ? Looking for wifi ready, at least 1080P, will take a snapshot when button pressed and smart motion detection (what size of SD card if there any) ?

Thanks

Btw.
    What does chime do https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Smart-WiFi-Doorbell-Camera-Video-Wireless-Remote-Ring-Door-Bell-CCTV-Chime/324170924797?hash=item4b7a17c2fd:g:d9sAAOSwLNBew7JP ?

asgaard wrote: »
    Hey

Can anyone recommend a good wireless doorbell ? There is one on sale through Groupon, but had a quick look on some youtube wireless doorbell. What's the battery version life like (is it akku or battery) ? What about wired version-can I connect with existing doorbell (don't know if it's 24 or 240V ) ? Looking for wifi ready, at least 1080P, will take a snapshot when button pressed and smart motion detection (what size of SD card if there any) ?

Thanks

Btw.
    What does chime do

Personally I wouldn't bother with a cheap video doorbell. I had one, it was useless, plus I've heard similar stories from others who tried similar. Spend the money and get a good one. You can get good deals on Ring sometimes if you didn't want Eufy. There's threads on Ring in here too. Or if you wanted to spend a bit more nest is supposed to be good too.

Do you mean what's the battery life like in Eufy? Supposed to be 18 months

Check what your current transformer is then you can see what you can wire in without changing that or not.

I don't understand your SD card question.

The chime is the bit that makes the sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭asgaard

Daveq wrote: »
    Personally I wouldn't bother with a cheap video doorbell. I had one, it was useless, plus I've heard similar stories from others who tried similar. Spend the money and get a good one. You can get good deals on Ring sometimes if you didn't want Eufy. There's threads on Ring in here too. Or if you wanted to spend a bit more nest is supposed to be good too.

Do you mean what's the battery life like in Eufy? Supposed to be 18 months

Check what your current transformer is then you can see what you can wire in without changing that or not.

I don't understand your SD card question.

The chime is the bit that makes the sound.

One of friends of mine has a Ring (1080P, roughly 200 euro),but it doesn't come with sd card "reader".

• Advertisement

asgaard wrote: »
    One of friends of mine has a Ring (1080P, roughly 200 euro),but it doesn't come with sd card "reader".

Correct. You need a subscription for any of the Ring doorbells if you want to store recordings. Same with Nest.
    There are Ring and Nest topics where users and owners can give you their personal experiences. I have neither of them. My brother has Ring and a neighbor has Nest. That's my only personal experiences with both.

The Eufy battery model stores the recordings on internal storage in the homebase.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

I picked one of these up a few weeks ago and I'm very happy with it. Battery won't last anywhere near six months with motion detection on especially during the summer when my kids are in and out all day! The human detection works very well and I've never had a single false alert. Alerts are very speedy and a thumbnail even appears on my WearOS watch! Chime is plenty loud too. Currently reduced to £160 on Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Crowirl

digitaldr wrote: »
    I picked one of these up a few weeks ago and I'm very happy with it. Battery won't last anywhere near six months with motion detection on especially during the summer when my kids are in and out all day! The human detection works very well and I've never had a single false alert. Alerts are very speedy and a thumbnail even appears on my WearOS watch! Chime is plenty loud too. Currently reduced to £160 on Amazon.
    can you trigger any automations with eufy? E.g. motion picked up on doorbell, turn on lights.

So I just received my eufy Wired Video Doorbell from Amazon UK. I bought it as it was sold as being suitable for existing wiring. However when i follow the in app instructions it is telling me to install a 3 pronged plug into a power socket and wire it myself through the wall (the plug wasn’t even listed as in the box when i bought off amazon).

On further reading i see it tells North Americans to wire to transformer and bypass chime but not UK/Europe. I have a new house with a 8, 12 or 24V transformer with 8VA output. Will this transformer be suitable and if so at what voltage? Nest Hello needs to be powered by wires delivering 16 - 24 V AC, and at least 10 VA (in North America) or 12 - 24 V AC and at least 8 VA (in Europe) and there plenty of people on boards.ie who've got the nest hello working with the right transformer.

Has anyone installed the wired version in Ireland, is it similar for eufy?

Installed one yesterday and so far so good.
    Already saved me a trip as the regular postman must be on holidays.

Has anyone used the "activity zones" in the motion detection settings?
    I can adjust the blue box as expected but the red zone is fixed??

Installed one yesterday and so far so good.
    Already saved me a trip as the regular postman must be on holidays.

Has anyone used the "activity zones" in the motion detection settings?
    I can adjust the blue box as expected but the red zone is fixed??
    Yeah I have mine up and running the last month or two, happy out. In my experience the red zone is a rectangle only and is limited in size. So it is adjustable but limited in size and shape.

The blue zone is so flexible though that I barely need the red! I just use it to cover off one plant that tends to trigger motion.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Mythago

Crowirl wrote: »
    Yeah I have mine up and running the last month or two, happy out. In my experience the red zone is a rectangle only and is limited in size. So it is adjustable but limited in size and shape.

The blue zone is so flexible though that I barely need the red! I just use it to cover off one plant that tends to trigger motion.

Did you need to change transformer or was your 8va one enough?

Mythago wrote: »
    Did you need to change transformer or was your 8va one enough?

Mine had 8, 12 and 24 settings so it just needed changing to 24. Link below to the transformer I had
    https://www.screwfix.ie/p/garo-8-12-24v-1a-bell-transformer/716hk

Crowirl wrote: »
    Mine had 8, 12 and 24 settings so it just needed changing to 24. Link below to the transformer I had
    https://www.screwfix.ie/p/garo-8-12-24v-1a-bell-transformer/716hk

Thanks, mine should be arriving today and was looking at that Transformer to use. Will grab one today.

Mythago wrote: »
    Thanks, mine should be arriving today and was looking at that Transformer to use. Will grab one today.

That will work or the cheaper and better reviewed (online at least) British general one will work too.

Note i spoke to Eufy support and they recommended one off Amazon which was full of reviews with "fire hazard" etc. so stay away. They said mine shouldn't work but does perfectly and passes all the diagnostic Tests in the app. Hasn't dropped on me once, despite having some firmware update issues at the start (though this is common and resolves itself in 24 hours)

• Advertisement

Installed the Eufy on Thursday, saw the Amazon reviews of the flammable transformers so, bought the British General transformer (has overload protection at least). Installation & setup took about hour in total. So far so good just need to fine tune the motion sensing "blue zone" as it sees kids ok but not adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,380 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Klopp

I am looking at both eufy and Ring doorbell battery versions as a option. The eufy looks small and slick compared to the Ring doorbell.

I know the Ring doorbell 2 has the option of either Battery or direct power but not sure eufy battery is the same, from what i can see online it doesn't seem to have the option? Anyone here have the battery version and can comment on the battery life, how long on average before it needs a charge and if you like?

I picked up the Battery-powered eufy midweek with the chime and not the hub. I have it set up over a day and it is working away so far and happy with it.

I don't have a Micro SD card in the chime, i am picking one up tomorrow but something i noticed is the notifications. I have it set to notify with a thumbnail but always goes to live feed? The other is that when I open the App and go to 'events, there is nothing showing. I can't find anything online but am wondering if this were the SD card option?

I have the option selected but I dont get any thumbnail with the text notification when motion is detected outside? ( Android )

Anyone any ideas or have similar issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭Daith

Is the wired version a pain or would a decent electrician be able to sort it out?

I have the battery version with hub so not sure about your recording/sd card issue with the chime.
    Klopp wrote: »
    I have the option selected but I dont get any thumbnail with the text notification when motion is detected outside? ( Android )

Anyone any ideas or have similar issue?

I'm on Android 10 and get a thumbnail on my notification.
    But if you go to recordings there's also a thumbnail under the recording (if you get the issue above resolved see if that works) but it only shows there where it can identify a face. If it records something and can't find what to snap a thumbnail of, it is left blank - if that makes sense?

Daith wrote: »
    Is the wired version a pain or would a decent electrician be able to sort it out?

Should be easy to any electrician.
    (Battery version also has an option to be wired)

Daveq wrote: »
    I have the battery version with hub so not sure about your recording/sd card issue with the chime.

I'm on Android 10 and get a thumbnail on my notification.
    But if you go to recordings there's also a thumbnail under the recording (if you get the issue above resolved see if that works) but it only shows there where it can identify a face. If it records something and can't find what to snap a thumbnail of, it is left blank - if that makes sense?

I didn't bother with the HUB, i got the chime which takes a SD card i have on order. I don't see any option for records in the App. When i open the App there is an option for 'events, that is blank. I think i need to wait until SD card arrives and see. No option to buy the HUB either now. If anyone is looking, make sure you buy with the HUB.

• Advertisement

Klopp wrote: »
    I didn't bother with the HUB, i got the chime which takes a SD card i have on order. I don't see any option for records in the App. When i open the App there is an option for 'events, that is blank. I think i need to wait until SD card arrives and see. No option to buy the HUB either now. If anyone is looking, make sure you buy with the HUB.

Yep, sounds like the SD card is the route of your problem. Let us know if it works when you get one.

Advertisement