Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Any info out there on TOOL.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

There's no way to not sound pretentious when I say this but sher lookitt, it's the Tool thread, but I'm surprised by the amount of Tool fans I know putting up Facebook reviews of it before they'd even got through the whole thing.

It's a massive yoke full of nooks and crannies. I've only felt like I've really had a good look around it now finally.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Grayditch wrote: »
    There's no way to not sound pretentious when I say this but sher lookitt, it's the Tool thread, but I'm surprised by the amount of Tool fans I know putting up Facebook reviews of it before they'd even got through the whole thing.

It's a massive yoke full of nooks and crannies. I've only felt like I've really had a good look around it now finally.

I think maybe people are conditioned now to not give albums a proper listen. Tool albums need to be absorbed and digested over time. i still listen to 10,000 Days and hear new stuff that I didn't hear before, so I'm not sure how people could be qualified to give a proper opinion on Fear Inoculum after a day of listening or even after a single spin. Crazy stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭xerces

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    P.S that bit in Pneuma where the guitar cuts across the bass riff at 4.00 and then into the vocal part is one of the best things I've ever heard from anyone. Big statement but I stand by it.

That bit sounds so dirty, in the best way possible :D

I'm enjoying this album and Tool in general so much that I'm trying to find other bands that sound like Tool, but there really isn't any.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

I'm enjoying this album and Tool in general so much that I'm trying to find other bands that sound like Tool, but there really isn't any.

For the weird time signatures I would suggest Karnivool, not as polished as Tool but worth a listen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

I think maybe people are conditioned now to not give albums a proper listen. Tool albums need to be absorbed and digested over time. i still listen to 10,000 Days and hear new stuff that I didn't hear before, so I'm not sure how people could be qualified to give a proper opinion on Fear Inoculum after a day of listening or even after a single spin. Crazy stuff!

Great point. I've recently starting listening a lot to Reflection on Lateralus - it never really grabbed me before but now I can't get enough, the last few minutes are epic. And I've listed to the Lateralus album a good bit over the years, would probably class it as one of my favourite albums.

My opinion on Fear Innoculum is far from fully formed but I think it will stand the test of time as another great album. While it's not a huge shift in their sound or anything like that I think what it does is highlight how amazing Justin and Danny are, always thought Danny in particular didn't get enough credit for his skill and creativeness. Tool's strength is that they are all exceptionally good at their various instruments and are able to bring out the best in each other, most bands don't have this.

rickyjb wrote: »
    Great point. I've recently starting listening a lot to Reflection on Lateralus - it never really grabbed me before but now I can't get enough, the last few minutes are epic. And I've listed to the Lateralus album a good bit over the years, would probably class it as one of my favourite albums.

My opinion on Fear Innoculum is far from fully formed but I think it will stand the test of time as another great album. While it's not a huge shift in their sound or anything like that I think what it does is highlight how amazing Justin and Danny are, always thought Danny in particular didn't get enough credit for his skill and creativeness. Tool's strength is that they are all exceptionally good at their various instruments and are able to bring out the best in each other, most bands don't have this.

I'd totally agree. Would also add that I think this is Adam's finest album. Some of his guitar work is absolutely off the charts. Particularly in Pneuma and 7empest.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Stiletto72

€70 from Amazon.de. Does that sound right? Seems very expensive, even for a double CD.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Stiletto72 wrote: »
    €70 from Amazon.de. Does that sound right? Seems very expensive, even for a double CD.

It has a 4" HD rechargeable screen inside of it with a 2 watt speaker that'd do it cost wise yes.

I paid $65 USD for it off the official Tool site so yeah the price there sounds about right from Amazon. It's a limited edition so nice to have for the collection!

• Advertisement

I paid $65 USD for it off the official Tool site so yeah the price there sounds about right from Amazon. It's a limited edition so nice to have for the collection!

So did I beginning of Sep and still waiting for the damn thing!

frag420 wrote: »
    So did I beginning of Sep and still waiting for the damn thing!

Yep! Glad I'm not the only one! The order says we'll be emailed as soon as it's ready to ship. Suppose there's a fairly long production timeframe on these, and they were having to run a second batch due to demand, apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Kerrang have started a podcast about big moments in music history told from the artists pov and the latest episode is about the recording of Fear Inoculum.

https://www.kerrang.com/the-news/tool-reveal-how-they-made-fear-inoculum-in-new-episode-of-our-podcast-inside-track/

The first episode was about the recording of Korns debut.

Has anyone heard anything about the shipping of the Fear Inoculum CD from the Tool store? Havent heard a thing since I ordered it in September!

Has anyone heard anything about the shipping of the Fear Inoculum CD from the Tool store? Havent heard a thing since I ordered it in September!

Yup, still waiting...

frag420 wrote: »
    Yup, still waiting...

They'll be shipped out early next week according to the Facebook page today. About time!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

They just announced a new deluxe book version today.

They'll be shipped out early next week according to the Facebook page today. About time!

Finally arrived today, had to pay another £14 custom charges!

Now I just need to buy a CD player haha

• Registered Users Posts: 12,140 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I've been wearing this album out for months now and its not boring yet.

MadYaker wrote: »
    I've been wearing this album out for months now and its not boring yet.

Great album. Album of the last few years, for me. Really enjoying it. Hopefully they come to Europe again in 2020!

• Advertisement

Still having my mind blown by this album pretty much every day. A modern classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,332 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Now that the dust has settled, I still listen to Descending, Invincible and Tempest. Those are solid songs. I like Descending a lot.

The title track is underwhelming and a bit by the numbers. Pneuma is fine, but I find it a bit forgettable. Culling voices is just okay. And chocolate chip trip is fun, but it's really just a filler.

It's a good album. I don't think the songwriting is as strong as their heyday and a lot of it is Tool content to sound like Tool, but it's good that it exists at all. It is also, to be fair, one of the best produced - or more specifically one of the best mixed rock albums - that I can remember for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

I still can't get my head around it. My initial bugbear was that it was taking a big queue from previous albums but without the huge emotional highs/lows - quite happy to never get out of 4th gear. I decided to just accept that this is a different kind of album. It's very enjoyable whenever I do throw it on but for now, at least, it doesn't reach the classic heights of Aenima and Lateralus. I also still get the slight sense that the vocals are an afterthought to music that has been excessively pored over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Limited edition vinyl copy of Aenima arrived today.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Banzai600

ive great respect and admiration for tool both from a listeners and musicians perspective.

im struggling with the new album, but not going to give up yet.

Banzai600 wrote: »
    ive great respect and admiration for tool both from a listeners and musicians perspective.

im struggling with the new album, but not going to give up yet.

Its funny, its not my favourite Tool album and i would mimic the previous comments that a lot of it seems a bit rehashed but in saying that its never far from my playlists and gets played at least twice a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,140 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

weiland79 wrote: »
    Limited edition vinyl copy of Aenima arrived today.

Where did you get it from? Ive been looking online but can't find it. I don't mind if its expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Banzai600

weiland79 wrote: »
    Its funny, its not my favourite Tool album and i would mimic the previous comments that a lot of it seems a bit rehashed but in saying that its never far from my playlists and gets played at least twice a week.

yeah im gonna stick with it, but shuffle the play of tracks to mix it up.

• Advertisement

I've not been able to get it to settle with me and digest it fully. The title track I hated when I first heard it is in a daily play list now but the rest of it is a waste on me. Just does nothing for me after many breaks and returning to it.

Advertisement