Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are you a toucher? A sniffer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Do you feel filthy after it? When in nearest city, I feel like I've a layer of grime on me afterwards. Especially on my hands if I've touched the metal bannisters on the carpark stairs.

I'e probably built up superimmunity to ever germ known to man, though!

I get that feeling too. Being in the city is like being soaked in fumes and grime all day long. I swear it's cleaner working on the farm.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    And there's never any thongs for the apples or red / green peppers either, but I guess most people wash them before eating.
    Stupid sexy apples

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Those salad bar things in supermarkets are amongst the most grim places known to man. I've seen a woman literally fingering the tuna sweetcorn.

Oh YUkK!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

I prefer minging bastard to toucher or sniffer.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Fingernails in apples. I've a dose of the gawks now..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Maybe a member of staff should be posted near the bakery and the green groceries to avert incidents like this..they could have a bit stick..

Maybe a member of staff should be posted near the bakery and the green groceries to avert incidents like this..they could have a bit stick..

I volunteer! My walking stick is at your service!

• I have seen a few bread dispensers in other countries that deal with this handling issue - but have not spotted it in Ireland myself yet. The loose bread and pretzels and croissants and the like are in a display cabinet you can not get your hands into. Instead there is a shovel system where you push your selected bread sideways into a kind of dispensing tunnel.

https://ninasroadlesstraveled.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/img_2871.jpg

So you are pretty much guaranteed that your bread product has not been mauled by anyone else. At least not anyone from the public. What the workers of the shop do is anyone's guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Pete123456

I have seen a few bread dispensers in other countries that deal with this handling issue - but have not spotted it in Ireland myself yet. The loose bread and pretzels and croissants and the like are in a display cabinet you can not get your hands into. Instead there is a shovel system where you push your selected bread sideways into a kind of dispensing tunnel.

https://ninasroadlesstraveled.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/img_2871.jpg

So you are pretty much guaranteed that your bread product has not been mauled by anyone else. At least not anyone from the public. What the workers of the shop do is anyone's guess.

see post #29 :D

• Hah, same picture and all. Ooops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Over here in Italy fresh fruit and veggies are on display for all to see. We are allowed to check apples, peaches and so on for hardness/softness or inspect an apple all around before putting them into a bag. Disposable thin gloves are provided along with bags. It's compulsory to use them.
    Once the bag is done we place it on a scale, we select the product which is in the bag (cucumbers, apples, bananas, etc) and press the relevant button on the scale, automatically a sticker with the name of the selected item, its price per kg, its weight and final price is printed. We stick it on the bag and hand it out to the cashier at the end of the shopping.
    Mixed salads and other similar things are already pre-packed in plastic boxes and priced, no risk that anybody could interfere with their integrity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Does anyone actually buy food from those self service salad bars ?

*hork*

Parchment wrote: »
    Does anyone actually buy food from those self service salad bars ?

*hork*

In the Dunne's where I used to live, the salad bar was enclosed and covered. You had to lift the door to access it. But all the same no way. I never buy street food either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I squeeze wrapped bread (like Brennan's, Irish Pride) gently. I rarely buy the unwrapped rolls and things like that, but wouldn't touch them, and if I am buying them I pick them up with a bag or a tongs (because my hands have been on the trolley bar, which hasn't ever been cleaned). I sniff items like melons for ripeness, but don't touch them with my nose, and I presume most people don't eat melon rinds. Things like apples that people are likely to eat without washing/peeling, no, wouldn't touch those.

When I get home I wash my hands before unpacking my groceries, because again, the trolley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

Ugh god. I buy stuff from supermarket bakery displays all the time. Won't be doing that anymore

except for those Marks n Spencers bakery chocolate chip cookies. Because they're the best thing I've ever tasted ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Bambi985 wrote: »
    Ugh god. I buy stuff from supermarket bakery displays all the time. Won't be doing that anymore

except for those Marks n Spencers bakery chocolate chip cookies. Because they're the best thing I've ever tasted ever

Yeh I'm making all these rules for myself but thinking "sure aren't Marks and Spencers customers much posher and they would neevvvver do such a working class thing like touching the baked goods". GIMME THAT CHOCOLATE TWIST NOW.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Bread in a packet; squeeze.
    Veg; visual inspection and maybe a sniff if it's a herb.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

M&S sell the cookies in bags of 4. Just sayin'...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

Thoie wrote: »

M&S sell the cookies in bags of 4. Just sayin'...

Yea but those ones don't have the same chewy gooey fresh out of the oven taste

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Thought this was about bike seats carry on ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,764 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I'm neither, but this is why I don't buy loose food from the serve-yourself bins. I've also seen flies on the uncovered bread and cakes in supermarkets.

Whats the point of that level of paranoia. If you took it to its extreme you would never buy any food.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

MarkR wrote: »
    Are you a toucher? A sniffer?

...or a licker :)

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

I frequently notice flies landing on buns/donuts/bread in petrol stations, but never seem to notice it in supermarkets.

Obviously before now (after reading this thread) I must have assumed that the supermarkets had better insect control, and this was enough to abate my fears of buying uncovered bread and salad..

Yikes :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I give oranges a squeeze but everything else just gets an ocular pat-down.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Whats the point of that level of paranoia. If you took it to its extreme you would never buy any food.

Hm, hardly. It's not like I can't find the same kind of products, but sold in a hygienic manner. I don't struggle to find any kind of food while avoiding the open bin type food. I buy nuts in bulk, make my own bread and cake, and either make my own tuna salad, e.t.c, or buy it from a deli counter where there's a glass case only accessible to the member of staff (wearing gloves) who serves it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Jodotman

I'd like any hot ones knickers that she wore for two weeks with skid marks. I'd sniff them for the week!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Jodotman wrote: »
    I'd like any hot ones knickers that she wore for two weeks with skid marks. I'd sniff them for the week!

I'll hold you to that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

rarariot wrote: »
    i just pick up the bread and rub it right onto my nipples. let all the carbs soak into the muscle fibres

Put it under your arm pits, it's a lot better.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

Accidental rubbing off people in the Luas while you have an erection can be awkward.

• Advertisement

• I've also seen flies on the uncovered bread and cakes in supermarkets.

Ah it could be worse, there could be insects in all your food :)

Advertisement