Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

vodafone HG658c broadband box...

• 18-12-2018 4:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭

just quick question about my vodafone broadband..every night it resets at random times.im very good with PCs if theirs any DOS commands or programs i can use to stop this...im a nighttime person (gaming/streaming) and its awful when it resets mid games or live streams

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I believe that is Vodafone resetting your IP, not the router being faulty. Used to happen to me when I was still with them. Shocking and annoying practice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭mcdaids69

last time i googled it,your answer was the same as i was thinking.i did find something that you can do like set the time it does it through CMD.EXE prompts.surely theirs a faster way and less dangerous to **** ups

• Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Only fix is to switch providers. That's what I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its Vodafones RAS doing this. Change ISP if you need to stay up. Its a very 1990s behaviour that they've never gotten over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭mcdaids69

no fix by look of it :mad: ...thanks for help ! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 julesdarcy

Ask Vodafone to apply a static IP. That will keep it going throughout the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

cnocbui wrote: »
    I believe that is Vodafone resetting your IP, not the router being faulty. Used to happen to me when I was still with them. Shocking and annoying practice.
    ED E wrote: »
    Its Vodafones RAS doing this. Change ISP if you need to stay up. Its a very 1990s behaviour that they've never gotten over.

Nah. Lots of ISPs actually do it. It has to do with the way billing systems interact with the RAS. (automatic disconnect after 24 hours on suspension, should the human factor fail to disconnect the customer .. it's also sometimes used to trigger more reliable traffic accounting)

And normally it shouldn't really cause big problems, but Vodafone enforces an IP change while doing this. And that really disrupts things.

In the Fritz!Box routers you can set the time you want the disconnect to happen proactively, but I don't think the Huawei and the Gigabox have that feature.

You can attempt to power-cycle the router at a convenient time during day time. The line reset should move to that point in the day then.

It's generally after 24 hours online time. So you just happen to have reset the router at that time at some point. It's been resetting every 24 hours at that point of time ever since.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

julesdarcy wrote: »
    Ask Vodafone to apply a static IP. That will keep it going throughout the night.

For some stupid monthly fee no?

Marlow wrote: »
    Nah. Lots of ISPs actually do it.

But you can renew the lease without a reset and pulling from the pool once more. Doing a silent sanity check vs the CRM, grand. Ending the "call" and starting over - silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

ED E wrote: »
    But you can renew the lease without a reset and pulling from the pool once more. Doing a silent sanity check vs the CRM, grand. Ending the "call" and starting over - silly.

Not that easy. Actually problematic with some RAS/Billing combinations. It's PPPoE. It's not a lease.

But the specific Vodafone culprit is the enforced IP change. Not the PPPoE drop. Most ISPs who do things that way, ... you'll just get the same IP. It's instant and non-disruptive.

/M

Advertisement