Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Garden Bird Survey 2018/19

Options
  • 25-11-2018 7:47pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi All,

I thought I'd create a thread for general garden bird chat over the winter.

This winter is the 30th anniversary of the Irish Garden Bird Survey so I'd really encourage everyone to take part and try and spread the word to family and friends who enjoy watching their garden birds. The survey is very easy and enjoyable, but still produces some really interesting data week-to-week and year-to-year!

Each year we have our biggest participation from Dublin, Wicklow, Kildare and Cork, with good representation from Galway and Limerick but we really need more participants from other counties to ensure the data is representative!

Here's the first of many blogs I've done for the Garden Bird Survey this winter: https://birdscount.blogspot.com/2018/11/the-irish-garden-bird-survey-your.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭Bsal

I have an olive tree near the end of the garden with lots of very small olives on it at the moment, I noticed my local Robin hopping around in it so had a better look with binoculars and he's eating the olives :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

...two turtle doves, and a robin in the olive treeeee.... :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i tried surveying the birds in my garden, but they started quoting GDPR regulations at me and refused to give me their details.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭fiacha

Day 1 of survey....11 House Sparrows maintaining an iron curtain around the garden feeders. Little sods.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Left a trail cam set up near the ground feeding area while I was at work and got a Song Thrush - first one I've seen in the garden this winter!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Two ravens flew overhead in the garden - fantastic to see them. The chaffinches are winning in the number stakes at the feeders so far with goldfinches the next big group. First year I decided to take part in the survey. Garden birds are looking healthy overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

this year as in many years previous its the great tits that rule the roost in my back garden

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Standing filling the feeders at the garden table beside the shed yesterday morning when a male sparrowhawk came in from behind about a foot over my head and landed in the flower bed behind the tree with the feeders.

He sat there for a minute looking at me and managed to convey his annoyance at finding his feeding station empty and then flew out again over my head.

He's a regular visitor. A few weeks ago the wife and I went into the conservatory with our coffees, startling all the birds at the feeders which are only about 15 feet away when he came in over the neighbour's wall and looped at speed around the tree trunk and back out the same way. Amazing aerobatics as the tree trunk is only a few feet from the wall behind it.

We are seeing the same species as other posters, dozens of sparrows, lots of goldfinch, the blue and great tits, collared doves but no greenfinch.

Would I be right in saying Greenfinch and Siskin come a little later - we normally get them but no sign yet either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Pretzill wrote: »
    Would I be right in saying Greenfinch and Siskin come a little later - we normally get them but no sign yet either.

In previous years we have had Greenfinch and Chaffinch (no sign of them either) all year. Agreed , we don't get Siskin and Redpoll until later.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Pretzill wrote: »

Greenfinch are definitely all year round here and siskin are possible at any time, but more so in Winter.

Rosahane wrote: »
    In previous years we have had Greenfinch and Chaffinch (no sign of them either) all year. Agreed , we don't get Siskin and Redpoll until later.

We have seldom Redpoll visiting the garden but have had them throughout the year. Numbers increase in winter with an influx from northern Europe.

I normally only see the Greenfinch around nesting time - hope all is well there.

12 goldfinches out there now - nyger whispers must have gotten around. :)

Today so far

Bluetit 5
    Coaltit 3
    Great tit 7
    Robin 2
    Greenfinch 2
    Chaffinch 8
    Goldfinch 9
    House Sparrow 13
    Blackbird 3
    Songthrush 1
    Mistle thrush 5
    Dunnock 1
    Wren 1
    Pied Wagtail 2
    Rook 3
    Jackdaw 6
    Woodpigeon 1
    Collared Dove 2

All I'm providing at present is water, peanuts, a general seed mix, and apples but the garden is alive with birds of late.

I was refilling the nut feeders this morning and a Coal Tit continued to feed while I had the feeder in my hands, topping it up - charming.

for some strange reason long tail tits are always late to the party...they always appear in late winter?? (maybe its just my garden)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Do we record the total of what we see in a week or the highest amount at any one time or the highest total in a day?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Do we record the total of what we see in a week or the highest amount at any one time or the highest total in a day?

The highest amount at any one time!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Thud

Watched a Crow hop up a branch open the seed feeder lid and tip the feeder sideways to knock seed onto the ground for his crow buddies below, then repeat the process when that seed was gone....clever but annoying.

Just had a visit from a Goldcrest haven't seen one for a few months.

• Advertisement

fryup wrote: »
    for some strange reason long tail tits are always late to the party...they always appear in late winter?? (maybe its just my garden)

Have never seen any here would love to (:

fryup wrote: »

They are around all year and we get sizable flocks here in the garden from time to time (as many as 60 but usually 10 or 12). They travel about a lot and don't hang about in any one location for long. Not a visitor to the feeding stations but they come to the birch trees mostly.

Is there anywhere to see the results from last year's survey?

Garden very busy today counted 15 species so far.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

They are around all year and we get sizable flocks here in the garden from time to time (as many as 60 but usually 10 or 12). They travel about a lot and don't hang about in any one location for long. Not a visitor to the feeding stations but they come to the birch trees mostly.

I get them in the general vicinity of the feeders, but they seldom avail of them. They seem to flutter from tree to tree, one at a time, then two or three together, and they don't seem to picky regarding the type of tree. Conifers, fruit trees, climbers, anything goes. They remind me of children going trick or treating house to house - they raid one place before moving on to the next. :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Bsal wrote: »
    Is there anywhere to see the results from last year's survey?

PM sent.

If anyone else wants to see the results just PM me and I can email them on!

PM sent.

If anyone else wants to see the results just PM me and I can email them on!

Yes please tia

RE: Long tailed tits, i get them at the feeders (nuts & fat balls)...but as i mentioned above they always seem to appear in January

My two Robins have paired up together, the male has been feeding the female and both have been sharing food in the garden.

• Advertisement

Aaaawh! <3:)

Advertisement