Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2019 Spanish Grand Prix Accomodation

• 27-10-2018 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

As a 50th birthday present, my wife got me tickets for next years Spanish GP in May. I will be travelling with my 22 year old son.
    We have flights booked but are looking for advice on accommodation for 9-13 May.
    Is it best to stay in Barcelona or near to the track?
    Getting to and from the track?
    Any advice from people who have gone before is much appreciated.
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,421 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Stay in Barcelona. You can get get a train out from Sants to montmello and then a bus from there out. You could walk from montmello but it's a long walk. Montmello is crazy with fans, but fun. Staying in Barcelona allows you to be tourist things. Done it a few times. It's quite easy and enjoyable!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,708 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

I camped at the Barcelona gp 5 years ago so no advice 're accommodation only I'd be looking at hotels now as a lot of them book up fast.

As deco said, montmelo is the nearest train station, about a 15 min walk if I recall correct. Lovely little town with nice pizzarias and lovely locals.
    We were planning on going to Hungary for 2019 but Feck it, I think I'll go back to cataluyna in 2019 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

I second the idea of staying in Barcelona - the area around Sants station has plenty of reasonably priced hotels which are surprisingly high quality compared to what you'd get for a similar price in the UK or here.

I went there for the 2014 race (might return this year!) and stayed at the...Sants Hotel, which as the name suggests is about 5 minutes walk from the station, with an undeground stop just meters away. The single ensuite room I had was relatively big, clean and modern - basically looked a lot like a single bedroom you'll find in the average European family apartment.

From Sants Station you need to take the R2 line towards Granolles and step off at Montmelo', it's a journey of around 50 minutes; When I went, the round trip ticked was less than 3 Euro IIRC.

From the station in Montmelo' to the track the distance is "walkable", about 3 km - I did walk it round trip on each of the four days I was at the track; Especially on Saturday and Sunday, it may actually take less than waiting for the bus. Also, gives you the opportunity to see a bit of the town of Montmelo' and to shop for last minute supplies in the town's "normal" year-round stores. Lastly, from the Friday on there are plenty of "pop up" stands and stalls on the route selling F1 related stuff at discounted prices - often it's just things from the previous season.

The track itself has got a reputation for offering poor overtaking opportunities, but it's a blast in terms of spectator access and views - it's build in a "valley" between hills, so virtually any spot around it gives view of more than one section of it. I was in stand J and could see the pitlane, main straight, first corner plus the loopback after turn 4 all the way to 7.

Final word - wear sunscreen and use a hat...personal experience!!!

Advertisement