Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Formula 1 2018 - Round 18 – USA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,608 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Faugheen wrote: »
    You are entitled to an opinion.

I'm also equally entitled to say your opinion is absolute bollocks.

On what planet is someone who could have 5 world titles not considered a legend?

Not to mention that he's the best qualifier of all time and second in race wins behind only Schumacher. But yeah it makes perfect sense to claim he's not all that just because

There are people on here unable to separate their personal opinions of drivers from any discussion. It happens mostly with Hamilton but I've also seen it with others. Any discussion on Stroll for example turns into a hot mess because "waaaaah money"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Joeface

The Hamilton stuff has its own thread.

Probably should put most of that there. Really takes from the race threads every time it pops up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,616 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Lads/lassies. Let's put the argument to bed. Yeah, he's a bit of a diçk and when his head isn't in the right place, he doesn't win. He's been a little special lately, everything going right, with the help of Ferrari messing up. That's what champions do, Beat the other guys, and win.

I don't like the lad but I respect what he has managed to achieve in his 11 years in the sport. :)

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭seamusk84

Hey, so I missed the coverage so far this weekend. Looking forward to the 10pm quali!

Whats the craic with the weather situation for quali and race?

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Faugheen wrote: »
    You are entitled to an opinion.

I'm also equally entitled to say your opinion is absolute bollocks.

On what planet is someone who could have 5 world titles not considered a legend?

And i'm entitled to say your opinion of mine is absolute bollocks.

We'll be here bickering for half the night, you don't agree with me and i don't agree with you, that's plain and simple really.

The car is so far ahead since the 2014 engine regulations changed that when it really matters even Murray Walker at 95 years old could win the title in that car.

And? All of the greats won titles because they had the best car. Fangio, Lauda, Schumacher, Prost, Senna, Vettel, Alonso etc.

Even Jenson Button won his only title partly because he had the best car by an absolute country mile for the first half of the season. Would you take that away from his achievement? Of course not.

Hamilton isn't the only person who has had that car. Rosberg only beat him once (partly down to Hamilton's engine failure in Malaysia) in the three years they were together and Bottas hasn't got within an asses roar of him.

He forced Alonso to throw his toys out of the pram in his first season, won the title the next, still managed to win races in an absolute dog of a McLaren in 2009 and 2010, was beaten by Button 2011 but reversed that in 2012 and has helped lead a massive Mercedes transformation. They had won only one race (since they came back as a works team) when Hamilton arrived.

Even this year they haven't had it all their own way, but he didn't panic and looks set to come out on top unless something catastrophic happens.

But hey, you think he's not one of the greats even though him and Vettel have won 8 (soon to be 9) of the last 10 championships. 10 out of the last 12 if you want to go back that far.

For champions to win, more often than not they're going to need the best car. When was the last time someone who wasn't in the best car won the title? Arguably, probably Lewis Hamilton in 2008.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Off topic but for the 2018 American Grand Prix both Toro Rosso's will be at the back of the grid thanks to engine penalties.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,514 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

seamusk84 wrote: »
    Hey, so I missed the coverage so far this weekend. Looking forward to the 10pm quali!

Whats the craic with the weather situation for quali and race?

Its dry at the moment in FP3 and its to be dry tomorrow as well. There was talk that it might be wet for quali but its only overcast at the moment so it might or might not rain.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

Could be a good qualifying season as Vettel is top in FP3 by 73 thousands of a second over Hamilton. Such a pity Vettel has a 3 place grid penalty.

Alonso the slowest do :eek:

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

FP3 just finished there in Texas.

It was a Ferrari 1,2 with Seb & Kimi with Mercedes Hamilton & Bottas in 3rd & 4th position.

Anyone watching Channel 4's live interview with the team principal's of Mercedes, Red Bull & Force India?

• Advertisement

Anyone watching Channel 4's live interview with the team principal's of Mercedes, Red Bull & Force India?

Yep just tuned in a few minutes ago, missed the start

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Toto's foreplay comment was gold!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,619 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Cool_CM wrote: »

I wonder is he a fan of the band with the same name ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Jordan 199 wrote: »

I wonder is he a fan of the band with the same name ;)

That man has never blessed the rains down in Africa in his life ;)

That man has never blessed the rains down in Africa in his life ;)

That tune nearly has 432 million listens to on Spotify :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    That tune nearly has 432 million listens to on Spotify :eek:

Is that all?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

What did he say? I've to watch xfactor until 10 :D

Ms

Great piece by Eddie Jordan there on C4 about Ferrari.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

EJ is gr8 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Steve Jones says it's starting to rain.

• Advertisement
    Ms

EJ looked tiny next to the other three lol.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

Really hoping Lewis wraps it up this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 30,005 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Looking a bit breezy

• Registered Users Posts: 30,005 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Verstappen with problem

Verstappen with problem

I just saw the replay of it. Something went out of the right rear wheel after he sustained some damage by hitting some kerbs out at turn 15. I hope it is minor because if he is out for Q2; then it will be a shame because Ricarrdo now has to work harder to stay in the grid.

Verstappen with problem

Ran wide and hit the sausage kerb by the looks of it, nursed it back to the pits okay. Did well with that

Gasly got 7th place overall in Q1. Great position for him.

Vandoorne only half a second slower than Alonso this time

• Registered Users Posts: 11,836 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

skipper_G wrote: »
    Ran wide and hit the sausage kerb by the looks of it, nursed it back to the pits okay. Did well with that

No wonder COTA's twitter called it the Verstopper.

• Advertisement
    Ms

Wow that was a good lap by Gasly to get 7th in the Torro Roso

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Advertisement