Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Formula 1 2018 - Round 18 – USA

• 17-10-2018 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭

Back to Hamilton country after Ferrari preferring tracks. Hamilton won the Austin race already five times out of six races. The only other win happened by Vettel in 2013. Realistically Vettel can only drag the decision out to the next race.

DpjNJygU0AAouc2.jpg:small

All sessions on Sky F1, C4 and the Online Service
    Friday October 19 Free Practice 1, 16:00-17:30
    Friday October 19, FP2, 20:00-21:30
    Saturday October 20, FP3, 19:00-20:00
    Saturday October 20, Qualifying, 22:00-23:00
    Sunday October 21, Race, 19:10-21:10

This link shows the possibilities how Hamilton can win the crown this race.

https://badgergp.com/how-hamilton-can-win-the-title-in-the-usa

Predictions:
    Hamilton win
    One TR in points
    Double Haas points
    A red bull with engine failure

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,616 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Isn't qualifying on at 10pm? The above times look out of kilter.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭Harika

Yes I fix that tomorrow, was just shown in my F1 calendar that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Broadcast points.
    Firstly, all sessions live on Eir Sport 1.
    Secondly, live weekend for Channel 4 but be careful on Friday. Because of the proximity to prime time Friday night, Channel 4 is moving FP1 and 2 to More 4.
    Qualifying does take over all of Saturday night on Channel 4 though, kicks off at 18:55 with FP3, which will then have Karun and Tom Clarkson (standing in for Lee McKenzie who's on rugby duty for Channel 4 in Limerick) having the now usual walk and talk. They then switch straight over to Steve, Mark Webber and DC at 20:30 for an 85 minute live build up show and qualifying and reaction until 23:30.
    Coverage of the race begins on Sunday at 18:00 (internally debating whether to watch this or Doctor Who live)

Over on Sky, Martin Brundle makes his return.

Seems I thought Mexico is the US, that explains why the times were mixed up. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Ferrari appear to have brought a very aggressive floor upgrade to Texas

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/139477/ferrari-brings-major-floor-upgrade-to-austin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Who is the guy named Tony speaking to Ben Edwards on More4?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Who is the guy named Tony speaking to Ben Edwards on More4?

Tony Dogins. He's apparently an editor for some motorsports magazine but grand prix weekends his main job is the director of commentary for Channel 4. He's done free practice 1 commentary alongside Ben since the BBC days.
    First time I've been home for a 4 live practice session so I've put Eir Sports and more 4 on split screen so I can still see the world feed whenever 4 pull away.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Vettel could be getting done for not following the red flag.

Could be a 3 place drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Its not looking good for FP2. Its raining a lot there. Maybe they can have it on tomorrow morning instead.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    Its not looking good for FP2. Its raining a lot there. Maybe they can have it on tomorrow morning instead.

there is fp3. happened before and the only session they actually would postpone by a day is quali and the race.

• Advertisement
    Ms

Harika wrote: »
    there is fp3. happened before and the only session they actually would postpone by a day is quali and the race.

Awe ok. Well FP2 is on now anyway. They get 40 minutes out on the track. Its very wet out.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

AMKC wrote: »
    Awe ok. Well FP2 is on now anyway. They get 40 minutes out on the track. Its very wet out.

Aye not much going/gone on yet unfortunately, there won't be any dry running in FP2 it seems.

Ms

Inquitus wrote: »
    Aye not much going/gone on yet unfortunately, there won't be any dry running in FP2 it seems.

There might not be any dry running tomorrow either. Could make for a very mixed up grid for Sunday which could be good.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

Vettel demoted 3 places

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Vettel demoted 3 places

Another needless mistake, makes a Hamilton title all the more likely on Sunday. 3 spots back from where he qualifies which could be as bad as 5th or 6th if it is wet tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,619 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Another needless mistake, makes a Hamilton title all the more likely on Sunday. 3 spots back from where he qualifies which could be as bad as 5th or 6th if it is wet tomorrow.

I think Vettel will blow it on Sunday and Hamilton will win the race and his fifth championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Inviere

Assuming Kimi will be in the mix, it’s really only a two place penalty. Still, critical now for Seb. I also have a weird feeling it won’t be plain sailing for Lewis. In the last two races, he’s been complaining of hesitations on power delivery, and harsh up shifts in Japan...the engines might be beginning to show some strain at this point.

Inviere wrote: »
    Assuming Kimi will be in the mix, it’s really only a two place penalty. Still, critical now for Seb. I also have a weird feeling it won’t be plain sailing for Lewis. In the last two races, he’s been complaining of hesitations on power delivery, and harsh up shifts in Japan...the engines might be beginning to show some strain at this point.

Hopefully Hamiton sees a repeat of Malaysia 2016, even though the championship is as good as over i loved the radio broadcast when the engine blew, at least with him out of the equation i might be a bit more interested.

I have no intentions of tuning in after qualifying though if he runs away with it like he did in practice.

As for Fangio, he is the true legend not Hamilton.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Hopefully Hamiton sees a repeat of Malaysia 2016, even though the championship is as good as over i loved the radio broadcast when the engine blew, at least with him out of the equation i might be a bit more interested.

I have no intentions of tuning in after qualifying though if he runs away with it like he did in practice.

The bitterness of some people on this forum really is pathetic.

A man who already had more titles then Senna, as many as Prost and should have as many as Fangio by the years out isn't one of the greats?

Honestly, the clouds of hatred over some people's eyes here astounds me.

You don't have to like Hamilton, but if he wins title number 5 then he's got only one person ahead of him in history. That's legendary ffs.

Faugheen wrote: »
    The bitterness of some people on this forum really is pathetic.

A man who already had more titles then Senna, as many as Prost and should have as many as Fangio by the years out isn't one of the greats?

Honestly, the clouds of hatred over some people's eyes here astounds me.

You don't have to like Hamilton, but if he wins title number 5 then he's got only one person ahead of him in history. That's legendary ffs.

Well said. Nobody says anyone has to like Hamilton, but the schoolyard level head in the sand approach to his achievements just make people look immature.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Joeface

Hopefully we get a good race. This track has no excuses . Every driver says they love it. Every driver says they can overtake. Vettel penalty aside if the world championship is his he needs to go get it. It's Hamilton's to lose and his driving has been flawless the last few races. Hoping for plenty of good battles tomorrow... It will never happen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

I also don't get the overt hatred that clouds people's perception of the guy on the track. Say what you want about his personality, the guy is an extremely talented driver and absolutely deserves to be where he is. I'm not a fan of the guy and the Titanic theme version of his engine blowing in Malaysia is one of my favourite online videos of all time, but you have to respect the fact that he is an exceptional talent and the stats support that.

On a personal note, watching him go from last to 3rd at the Hugaroring in 2014 was an amazing experience - he was in a different league to everybody else that day.

Cool_CM wrote: »

I also don't get the overt hatred that clouds people's perception of the guy on the track. Say what you want about his personality, the guy is an extremely talented driver and absolutely deserves to be where he is. I'm not a fan of the guy and the Titanic theme version of his engine blowing in Malaysia is one of my favourite online videos of all time, but you have to respect the fact that he is an exceptional talent and the stats support that.

On a personal note, watching him go from last to 3rd at the Hugaroring in 2014 was an amazing experience - he was in a different league to everybody else that day.

He was in the best car. Doesn't count.

That's how this game works, isn't it?

Suzuka 2005 was more meaningful than Hungary 2014, Kimi had beat the world champions of that year from 17th on the grid. Hamilton in the all conquering Mercedes won the title in 2014.

John Watson from 22nd to win will probably never be beaten.

Suzuka 2005 was more meaningful than Hungary 2014, Kimi had beat the world champions of that year from 17th on the grid. Hamilton in the all conquering Mercedes won the title in 2014.

Doesn't take away from the fact that you saying Hamilton ist a legend of the sport is top of the range stupidity for the simple reason that you don't like him.

Yeah, and my Super Nintendo is better than your Sega Megadrive.

Yeah, and my Super Nintendo is better than your Sega Megadrive.

I prefer the Nintendo Entertainment System :cool:

Doesn't take away from the fact that you saying Hamilton ist a legend of the sport is top of the range stupidity for the simple reason that you don't like him.

Am i not entitled to my opinion regardless if people disagree with me or not?

Am i not entitled to my opinion regardless if people disagree with me or not?

You are entitled to an opinion.

I'm also equally entitled to say your opinion is absolute bollocks.

On what planet is someone who could have 5 world titles not considered a legend?

• Advertisement

You are entitled to an opinion.

I'm also equally entitled to say your opinion is absolute bollocks.

On what planet is someone who could have 5 world titles not considered a legend?

And i'm entitled to say your opinion of mine is absolute bollocks.

We'll be here bickering for half the night, you don't agree with me and i don't agree with you, that's plain and simple really.

The car is so far ahead since the 2014 engine regulations changed that when it really matters even Murray Walker at 95 years old could win the title in that car.

Advertisement