Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shoes for Caruantoohil Climb

Options
  • 12-09-2018 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

I’m not an outdoorsy person whatsoever but I have to climb Caruantoohil for a work team building thing. Instead of whinging I’ve decided to make the best of it, and hopefully I’ll gain something from the experience. But I need some advice on shoes, I’ve done stuff like this before and have been in agony with blisters during and after the walk. So I want to get something that will minimise that happening, but without spending too much money as chances are I probably won’t be doing any serious hiking ever again. Would preferably prefer to spend around €50 at an absolute max. Wouldn’t mind spending bit more if it’s a pair of trainers or sketchers or something that I could use for other exercise after. Anyone have any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Runner's would do fine but there will plenty of shallow puddles to cross so waterproof runners would be a plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,304 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Do you know what route you will be taking on Carrauntoohil?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭dcfc91

Do you know what route you will be taking on Carrauntoohil?

I don’t, I’ll ask the boss tomorrow what the story is and post back.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Most popular route would be from Cronins yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,304 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

dcfc91 wrote: »
    I don’t, I’ll ask the boss tomorrow what the story is and post back.

If it's up and/or down the Devil's Ladder then I personally wouldn't fancy doing it in normal runners

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,762 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Carrauntoohil as a work team building thing seems verging on the irresponsible. What profile is the group taking part? You'd need to have reasonable fitness for starters and will there be experienced team members / guides that can lead the team up and down even in adverse weather conditions / no visibility?

Runners for Carrauntoohil in Autumn or Winter?

To complete the madness, maybe pair them with jeans, and just a teeshirt, no point ruining a jacket.

Any organisation that allowed staff go up Carrauntoohil in standard runners should be fully liable in the event of an accident. It suggests they are not even taking the most basic safety precautions. I have seen people take a chance and do it, but don't think I've heard of such collective irresponsibility amongst a work organisation.

Runners for Carrauntoohil in Autumn or Winter?

To complete the madness, maybe pair them with jeans, and just a teeshirt, no point ruining a jacket.

Any organisation that allowed staff go up Carrauntoohil in standard runners should be fully liable in the event of an accident. It suggests they are not even taking the most basic safety precautions. I have seen people take a chance and do it, but don't think I've heard of such collective irresponsibility amongst a work organisation.

Was just told yesterday that we were going, apparently we are going to have guides and stuff but that was all that was mentioned. No word on what gear we would need or anything.

As I mentioned in my OP I’m not outdoorsy at all so wouldn’t know what you would need for such a walk. If a pair of hiking boots is required then I’ll buy them to protect myself.

Was just told yesterday that we were going, apparently we are going to have guides and stuff but that was all that was mentioned. No word on what gear we would need or anything.

As I mentioned in my OP I’m not outdoorsy at all so wouldn’t know what you would need for such a walk. If a pair of hiking boots is required then I’ll buy them to protect myself.

They might assume you know that boots should be worn. Though still think they should specify.

I wouldn't get too po faced about gear, I see people out in polar gear and think that's overkill too. I've often run around the Reeks in proper mountain running shoes in winter. And in dry summers tbh you'd get away with runners. But on a hike, once the weather gets wet, boots are really the best footwear. Or trail shoes.

I also appreciate that cost is a factor. You don't want to spend €250 on boots for one outing. Could you borrow them? It's not ideal, it may lead to hot spots and blisters, so you should try them first. Or even look on done deal?

They might assume you know that boots should be worn. Though still think they should specify.

I wouldn't get too po faced about gear, I see people out in polar gear and think that's overkill too. I've often run around the Reeks in proper mountain running shoes in winter. And in dry summers tbh you'd get away with runners. But on a hike, once the weather gets wet, boots are really the best footwear. Or trail shoes.

I also appreciate that cost is a factor. You don't want to spend €250 on boots for one outing. Could you borrow them? It's not ideal, it may lead to hot spots and blisters, so you should try them first. Or even look on done deal?

I think it’s a mad exercise as some of us wouldn’t be be fittest (myself included). I will be hitting the gym to to train coming up to it just to make sure I’ll be able for the trek.

There definitely isn’t anyone I can borrow boots from, as I said I’m not outdoorsy at all so wouldn’t really know anyone who is. I will def take a look at DoneDeal. But I suppose I don’t even know where to start, like what’s a good brand or whatever.

• Advertisement

You can buy half decent waterproof hiking boots for around the GBP30 mark (with free shipping) like these:

Linky

No need to hit the gym, but do go out on some long walks / hikes and build up to one that takes several hours. Endurance is key. This will also bed in your boots so the chance of blisters on the day is minimal. Wear warm clothes, a waterproof jacket and bring a rucksack with food and water and an extra layer of clothes and an extra pair of socks. Preferably wear some quick drying trousers (and not jeans)

unkel wrote: »
    You can buy half decent waterproof hiking boots for around the GBP30 mark (with free shipping) like these:

Linky

No need to hit the gym, but do go out on some long walks / hikes and build up to one that takes several hours. Endurance is key. This will also bed in your boots so the chance of blisters on the day is minimal. Wear warm clothes, a waterproof jacket and bring a rucksack with food and water and an extra layer of clothes and an extra pair of socks. Preferably wear some quick drying trousers (and not jeans)

This sounds perfect, thanks fella, plenty of practical advice there. I am if the female persuasion so I’m guessing boots of the same brand for ladies will do the same job?

Will have a look at some walking routes locally and see which ones are good for beginners and start there.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

who thought of this fcuking idea! team building exercise walking our highest mountain in autumn! ffs! mountain rescue need to be informed of this idiotic decision, as this is what not to do for such exercises. im a regular hill walker, have been for years, and i wouldnt go near that without my winter pack, i.e. multiple fleece layers, possible full base layer set, gore-tex jacket, waterproof pants, hats, gloves, including spare sets, waterproof gaiters, gore-tex boots, a couple of liters of water, including flask of hot water, head torches, plenty of food, map and compass etc etc etc. i truly hope mountain rescue will be well informed about this trip

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Others have pointed out the merit of doing the activity
    but some tips for on the way
    bring some duct tape for if you get hot-spots or blisters. Stick the tape on your skin, and the outside of the tape will take the rubbing, not your skin. catch this early as you can.

When you're moving wear as little clothes as you need, so you'll start cold, but warm up as you go. When you stop, put more clothes on, and take them off again before starting again.

Bring layers, so you might have a tshirt, long sleeve tshirt, fleece/jumper, raincoat. Shorts/leggings and a tracksuit with a liner (that has zips at the leg bottoms to get on over boots)

We had a saying "Denims are deadly" if they get wet, they provide no heat, and cling and drag on your legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭cencglob

Have a look here, lots of useful info and the site will give a general background to hillwalking in Ireland. https://www.mountaineering.ie/hillwalking/default.aspx

One thing I'd have to say is that there have been a few, and one notable incident on the reek early this year when so called guides were brining hoards of people up.
    These "guides" were acting completely irresponsibly, either through ignorance or neglect.
    If I had one piece of advice I'd say to make sure you "guide" is actually certified by Mountaineering Ireland to the level he/she is supposed to be..(Mountain Leader Award) that way you can be sure you are in safe hands all the way. https://www.mountaineering.ie/TrainingAndSafety/default.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

I'd suggest reading through the clothing, footwear and waterproofs sections of https://www.mountaineering.ie/hillwalking/default.aspx and asking your employer if they (or the organisation they are using for the team building event) are supplying everyone with the appropriate clothing, footwear and waterproofs.

You wouldn't be expected to work in a potentially hazardous environment without the proper personal protective equipment being supplied. Taking part in a work organised event should be no different.

At this time of year temperatures at the summit can be sub-zero when lapse rate and wind chill are taken into consideration.

If you look at today's forecast on https://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/Carrauntoohil/forecasts/1038 it's 14 degrees in Killorglin and 2 degrees at the summit of Carrauntoohil. There's only one rain free day forecast in the next week and winds are from 30kmh to over 100kmh.

In the middle of Summer, with a blocking high guaranteeing settled weather for a few days an inexperienced, ill equipped group would probably get up and down Carrauntoohil without incident. Even then it would only take a twisted ankle, partly caused by unsuitable footwear, to result in being stuck on the side of the mountain for several hours and needing mountain rescue to help evacuate a casualty.

Try a web search using "Kerry mountain rescue Carrauntoohil" to see what can go wrong.

Unless you work in the outdoor pursuits sector and everyone is reasonably fit and already has their own suitable footwear, clothing and waterproofs, or is being provided with them on the day by your employer or guides I'd call your employer highly irresponsible. It would be more of a team building exercise for everyone to get together and persuade your employer to organise a more suitable team building event.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

This sounds perfect, thanks fella, plenty of practical advice there. I am if the female persuasion so I’m guessing boots of the same brand for ladies will do the same job?

Will have a look at some walking routes locally and see which ones are good for beginners and start there.

I have Regatta shoes and € for € they are excellent value. Invest in a decent pair of walking socks as well, not liner socks but actual longer socks, and your feet will be the better for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

The hike to the bottom of the devils ladder is long but very doable, it gets serious from there though.

I know team building events that went to the bottom of the ladder and back.

Bringing people not used to mountain walking any farther is awfully unwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Lidl and Aldi sometimes do cheap boots.

You're probably going to get blisters either way. Try and stop the boots from moving around on your foot, lace them up tightly.

You can wear them around the garden afterwards...

at the risk of hijacking the thread, I need to get my daughter a pair of walking boots for her an Gaisce expedition.

Does anyone know anything about the Karrimor and Gelert ranges at Sports Direct? I have heard that they are good value for money.

She isn't going to use them more than three or four times, so I don't want to go mad, but similarly I don't want her to suffer.

I was thinking of these in particular https://ie.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-aspen-mid-ladies-waterproof-walking-boots-186064?colcode=18606426

• Advertisement

What sort of terrain would she be walking? Will she be staying to forrest tracks and way marked trails (with a reasonable surface) or will it be cross open hill or mountainside, possibly having to contend with deeper mud or peat / boggy terrain?

What sort of terrain would she be walking? Will she be staying to forrest tracks and way marked trails (with a reasonable surface) or will it be cross open hill or mountainside, possibly having to contend with deeper mud or peat / boggy terrain?

not entirely sure, but it sounds as though they are doing two days walking and spending the night at Knockree Hostel, so I guess it is on the Wicklow way.

Aegir wrote: »
    Does anyone know anything about the Karrimor and Gelert ranges at Sports Direct?

They're fine. But as with many brands now owned by Sports Direct, they once were good quality and because of it they build up a good reputation. The quality is no longer there but the reputation still is. That's how your man became a billionaire :D

Any cheap boot will do fine, as long as your daughter beds them in and gets used to them before she uses them on the big hikes. I wouldn't spend more than about the €30 mark. No need to spend €100-€200 on quality boots that will only be used a few times...

Fabric boots would be fine for trail walking but if walking over rough / boggy open hillside or mountain I'd go for a leather boot.

Karrimor Skido or Karrimor Skiddaw are available online for similar price to their Aspen. They may not be as fashionable for casual wear but would be more functional in rougher terrain.

If the walk is staying to trails the Aspen would be fine and your daughter might get more use of them afterwards as casual wear.

Fabric boots would be fine for trail walking but if walking over rough / boggy open hillside or mountain I'd go for a leather boot.

Karrimor Skido or Karrimor Skiddaw are available online for similar price to their Aspen. They may not be as fashionable for casual wear but would be more functional in rougher terrain.

If the walk is staying to trails the Aspen would be fine and your daughter might get more use of them afterwards as casual wear.

this is a group of South County Dublin private school Princesses, so i would be very surprised if they are taking them through open fields and bogs.

It would be hilarious to see though :D

thanks for the advice.

Advertisement