Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

House Clearance

• 12-09-2018 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭

Evening All

Any suggestions on how to go about clearing a house ?. My Mam passed away earlier in the year and we need to clear years of accumulated junk. Nothing of value - very little even of sentimental value - just stuff. Might Age Action be interested in serviceable furniture ? . I spotted a knick-knack shop in Talbot Street - at the railway bridge - they might take stuff. Glasses, ornaments, vases, lamps ??. I'm reluctant to skip everything - but struggling to know where to start. Certainly some stuff for the dump - but plenty could be re-used. Anyone been through this recently ?. I'm in Dublin.

Thanks,
    K

PS. Hope right forum !!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Alkers

Try putting it on donedeal or adverts for free or freecycle.ie and you should find a home for most usable stuff. Handy enough as people will collect as opposed to you having to bring it somewhere. Sorry to hear about your mam

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Charity shops will take almost anything and might be the best way to go. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I'd second the charity shops, skips after that. Sorry for your loss

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

Raven_k42 wrote: »
    Evening All

Any suggestions on how to go about clearing a house ?. My Mam passed away earlier in the year and we need to clear years of accumulated junk. Nothing of value - very little even of sentimental value - just stuff. Might Age Action be interested in serviceable furniture ? . I spotted a knick-knack shop in Talbot Street - at the railway bridge - they might take stuff. Glasses, ornaments, vases, lamps ??. I'm reluctant to skip everything - but struggling to know where to start. Certainly some stuff for the dump - but plenty could be re-used. Anyone been through this recently ?. I'm in Dublin.

Thanks,
    K

PS. Hope right forum !!

Contrary to what others said above, I had to clear my Mother in Law's house last year, and while I did offload some stuff to the charity shops, I found them to be very picky. Understandably they are interested in stuff that will re-sell quickly, and they weren't interested in any electric goods, books (unless they were easily sellable + excellent condition).

Be careful about leaving stuff outside for the Hiace boys, as I found them to be very pushy, trespassing in the drive to go through the skip, without permission.

I got rid of a fair bit to a couple of Polish lads who presumably were filling up a van to bring back to Poland. They were on a Cork items for sale or free facebook group, maybe there's some Dublin related one as well ? As well as Donedeal, there's http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/index.php too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Most areas have a free recycling page on Facebook run by locals to help locals.

We even got rid of bags of used compost last week!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Sorry for your loss.

There are a few lads at a market in Inchicore who do house clearances, they come in a van and take everything away.

Advertisement