Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tennis Club Joining Fees

• 30-07-2018 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,823 ✭✭✭✭

Thinking about joining the local tennis club as a family.
    Was shocked to see that they have a pretty hefty joining fee. In fact heir sub looks quite a bit more than other clubs but I'd be happy to pay that. Just throwing the joining fee on top makes it a bit out of reach.

Do all clubs charge joining fees nowadays? I thought that was pretty much a thing of the past.

Are there any circumstances where the joining fee might be waved?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Seve OB wrote: »
    Thinking about joining the local tennis club as a family.
    Was shocked to see that they have a pretty hefty joining fee. In fact heir sub looks quite a bit more than other clubs but I'd be happy to pay that. Just throwing the joining fee on top makes it a bit out of reach.

Do all clubs charge joining fees nowadays? I thought that was pretty much a thing of the past.

Are there any circumstances where the joining fee might be waved?
    I didn't think any clubs (apart from the very elite, like Fitzwilliam) still had joining fees. I'm guessing you are based somewhere that there is no selection so they can get away with it? Most clubs in Dublin are crying out for new members, and have dropped joining fees as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,823 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Castleknock

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

Seve OB wrote: »
    Castleknock

Castleknock is a great club with fantastic facilities. Loads of members too so I’d imagine they have lots going on to get involved in. They also have about 15 coaches to choose from.
    They are minted as they got so much money from the m50. Malahide and castleknock are probably the only clubs in the country not crying out for members.
    I don’t think any other club would have a joining fee.
    Are you living in castleknock or would any other north side, Kildare or Meath club suit you?

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

Just to add to the above. When chatting to the lads in Trim after league I was surprised at their claim to be about 20 mins from Castlknock Tennis club.
    If trim was anywhere you that would be a good option.
    Only 3 courts and outside Dublin so it’s probably pretty cheap to join.

Charlaville is probably a good option too but I really don’t know any thing about the club.

Glasnevin is a good club that has loads of members so caters for all playing standards. Gary Bolger is the coach and a nice guy to get you started.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭ballyk

Our club (Mount Pleasant LTC) has no joining fee although I believe there used to be one years ago.

I imagine our yearly charge is quite similar to Castleknock. Full membership in Mount Pleasant is €485 which includes €40 bar credit and €80 entry into the monthly club draw. Family membership (2 adults and 2 children) is €990 which includes 2 sets of bar credits and 2 entries to the monthly draw.

Do Castleknock insist on receiving the joining fee up front or do they allow you pay the joining fee by instalments? If the fee is hefty it might be worth seeing if they were open to some arrangement like that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement