Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fake watch busters

Comments

Cienciano wrote: »
    There's probably a fair few guys going around with fakes that will never know until they get it serviced.
    There's also a lot of Rolex owners who are just flippers, never wear the watches. So these watches can pass through multiple hands without any mileage put on them, and thus never needing a service. It's musical chairs and it could be decades before they go back to Rolex and are discovered fake. Good luck untangling that mess.

It's only going to get worse, it's a stationary target and the fakers get closer every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭micks_address

The fake discussion is a hotly debated one. I could see merit in buying a clone to see if you really liked the size and look of a watch. Spend 100 euro and keep it for a month and if you really want one then just buy the real thing. Its an expensive business buying a watch and 3 weeks later deciding you don't care for it as much as you thought. if i wanted a rolex because its a rolex then i dont think id get any value out of wearing a fake.. i guess some people want a brand and brandish it for peer recognition whereas id probably buy it because i like it or want it myself. To be honest ive felt that a bit on forums in the last year or two. i see a watch someone has and i go i want that but then i get it and im like why did i get it? was it to post a picture on the forum to say i had a new watch to get a bunch of likes or did i really want the watch. Lately i've been more thinking of people like my dad who has one decent watch and wears the hell out of it. Thats probably the road im going for a while.. till im bored again :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It's only going to get worse, it's a stationary target and the fakers get closer every year.
    Well to be fair Rolex have added more and more bits and bobs in an effort to head off the fakers and doubtless will add more. Though looking at that site linked earlier in the case of the little etched Crown in the crystal a couple of the fakes looked better than genuine. In pics anyway.

Then again with the values of not so current models going up and up at the moment, if I were a thief looking to fake Rolex I'd be looking at 20 year old genuine and ripping them off. They had fewer anti fcukery bits in place. Go back 30 years and fewer again.

Overall it's a worry for the industry as the tooling for reproducing extremely high "quality" fakes is getting cheaper and cheaper and Chinese fakers are getting better and better at it. Blind eyes seem to be in play too law wise over there, though some fake companies do get hit. If I were in the Chinese government and wanted to a) destabilise western luxury goods/brands and confidence in them and b) kill the local market for them I'd be both keeping the blind eye and even quietly investing in such companies.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

The fake discussion is a hotly debated one. I could see merit in buying a clone to see if you really liked the size and look of a watch. Spend 100 euro and keep it for a month and if you really want one then just buy the real thing. Its an expensive business buying a watch and 3 weeks later deciding you don't care for it as much as you thought. if i wanted a rolex because its a rolex then i dont think id get any value out of wearing a fake.. i guess some people want a brand and brandish it for peer recognition whereas id probably buy it because i like it or want it myself. To be honest ive felt that a bit on forums in the last year or two. i see a watch someone has and i go i want that but then i get it and im like why did i get it? was it to post a picture on the forum to say i had a new watch to get a bunch of likes or did i really want the watch. Lately i've been more thinking of people like my dad who has one decent watch and wears the hell out of it. Thats probably the road im going for a while.. till im bored again :)
    It always comes down to the same thing. Different people have different priorities when buying a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,419 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Wibbs wrote: »

Then again with the values of not so current models going up and up at the moment, if I were a thief looking to fake Rolex I'd be looking at 20 year old genuine and ripping them off. They had fewer anti fcukery bits in place. Go back 30 years and fewer again.

I remember a couple of years ago I broached the topic of the "best" fake Rolex being made by a crowd called TC, who had morphed into Ginault who now produce very highly regarded homage.

Thing is I was aware that near perfect copies of the 11610 and the Kermit were out there.
    As well as the Daytona that were passed off by horology house.
    Reading a bit more over on RWI really does lift a veil on world of fakery populated by really detail orientated folk...

They examine and highlight so much that would never even occur to me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

banie01 wrote: »
    Reading a bit more over on RWI really does lift a veil on world of fakery populated by really detail orientated folk...

They examine and highlight so much that would never even occur to me.
    Yep and it seems even they can be fooled at times.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭893bet

OmegaGene wrote: »
    That’s style card was last issued while I was working in Hatton garden in 2002 and is the most popular card added to tags to boost value

Is that the only “tell”.

Is there a chance watch is ok and card was lost and fake card added?

Similarly if someone is selling with a fake box it's probably a bit of a giveaway. I'd imagine if you had a real box you'd spot the fake straight away. The box would look great to the guy in the street, but the soft suede material in the fake is totally different. Might be some higher end ones, not something I looked into.
    Funny how it works, I find the fake rolex world far more interesting than the real. Personally wouldn't wear either though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭furiousox

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Look at that...box and papers and all, must be legit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Thread lurker here: Would y'all mind posting screenshots of the offending ads? Often when I get to check in on this thread, all the links are dead. Always curious what people post as "authentic" and try to get away with.

Thread lurker here: Would y'all mind posting screenshots of the offending ads? Often when I get to check in on this thread, all the links are dead. Always curious what people post as "authentic" and try to get away with.

I'm sure people would like to, but it can be a pain in the hole sometimes, if you're on a phone or something won't upload. So understandable if it can't be done or someone just couldn't be arsed.

It’s rare enough to be honest where a fake is passed as a real one and you can tell from the advert for sure.

Spider senses may tinkle with stuff like “left to me by my father” and it’s a 1 year old watch type story.

Posted twice today. Suspect most of the images are not taken by the OP so actually could be a real watch.

All you lads with Rolex with their solid case backs should be afraid.

893bet wrote: »
    Posted twice today. Suspect most of the images are not taken by the OP so actually could be a real watch.

All you lads with Rolex with their solid case backs should be afraid.

From what I see the Colour is bang on there, something fakes dont often get right and the hulk is a very unusual (and beautiful) colour.

Flipping fakes are a disgrace, as you say they detract from the ownership experiance.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭20/20

Fitz II wrote: »

He does not claim its real. Read comments in his history.
    He says [PM me and I can send you a link review about this product (ZF 116610lv) side by side with a genuine hulk.]

20/20 wrote: »
    He does not claim its real. Read comments in his history.
    He says [PM me and I can send you a link review about this product (ZF 116610lv) side by side with a genuine hulk.]

I know.....thats not the point. Its flagged here as the adverts mods read this thread and will remove it and these are illegal and not allowed on a honest platform like adverts. A watch like that will pop back up as real in time and get somebody. Zero tolerance.

The box made me look twice. Who will be first to ask about papers.

• Advertisement

20/20 wrote: »
    The box made me look twice. Who will be first to ask about papers.

That type of box is called a coffin, all rolex come in those from the factory and the Dealer unites it with the correct box they keep in stock. If you wanted to pass a watch as "New old stock" having it in a sealed coffin is the ultimate....never been on a persons wrist.

That type of box is called a coffin, all rolex come in those from the factory and the Dealer unites it with the correct box they keep in stock.

Thanks I had no idea that was the way it worked.

• Moderators Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭Spocker

Nuked, thanks Fitz

• Registered Users Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Flipping fakes are a disgrace, as you say they detract from the ownership experiance.

What's the unofficial Rolex / dealer network stance on them? You could argue that it places a strong (-er still) premium on the new watch from the authorised dealer where the customer can have absolute trust in veracity of provenance. It's much more of a kick in the hole for the aficionado / flipper on an adverts.ie platform isn't it, you'd think?

The logical conclusion of these ever-improving fakes is that they become virtually impossible to distinguish from the real thing and that the only way you truly know is to buy from ... well, from Rolex GmBH or whatever, straight from the horse's mouth.

I know what you mean about the ownership detraction too. It must be annoying for the first question out of everyone's mouth be "Hey, is that a real one?". Bikes are my thing and there has been a proliferation of Chinese-replica Specialized and Pinarello frames, such that I would not personally buy one second hand, and it has even put me off the brands in a general sense. Everytime I see one in the "flesh" now the "real or fake" question immediately crosses my mind. Lads do the same with carbon wheels - buy chinese unbranded and put whatever manufacturer decals you like on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

• Registered Users Posts: 16,419 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Lorddrakul wrote: »

Strap is wrong (esp.if whatever is in blue plastic is the clasp) and the bezel colour looks off compared to my own 1, but that could just be the camera.
    Hands seem odd too but photo isn't great, so it could be that it looks off rather than missing gilt

That said, noone is selling a Tudor BB for 100 quid.

I may be way off the mark here but shouldn't there be "the first watch worn on the moon, flight qualified by NASA" etc on the back of a speedmaster?

https://www.adverts.ie/casual/omega-speedmaster-reduced/22752996

CPL 593H

furiousox wrote: »
    I may be way off the mark here but shouldn't there be "the first watch worn on the moon, flight qualified by NASA" etc on the back of a speedmaster?

https://www.adverts.ie/casual/omega-speedmaster-reduced/22752996

That’s an automatic speedmaster reduced rather than a manual speedy professional.

Horrible watch, expensive. But real.

Ah ok, apologies to the seller then, all legit.

CPL 593H

• Advertisement

Decent video of why it’s important to open the caseback of modern Rolex these days. A lot of work has gone into the external visuals. But it’s easy tell when the back is off.

Advertisement