Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IndyCar 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,610 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Race start time is 1.45am and I'm not going to have the energy to stay up for it. I hope they don't over run with the baseball game.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

astrofluff wrote: »
    Race start time is 1.45am and I'm not going to have the energy to stay up for it. I hope they don't over run with the baseball game.

Extra innings of course. :rolleyes:

Thankfully Reddit has a way to watch it.

Leist has a fire on lap 6, that car is toast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Thankfully Reddit has a way to watch it.

Leist has a fire on lap 6, that car is toast.

Reddit always does haha.. 2 solid sources and 1 backup found :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

BT didn't tune in until Lap 151. Sake. Do they not have a red button tool to have put one or the other on?

As for the race itself, nice couple brainfarts from the veterans and/or their spotters 🤦*♀️

• Advertisement

Massive crash at Pocono. Horrifying stuff. Hoping all are ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Horrific crash for Wickens. He's still in the car

Wickens and Hunter-Ray collide on the corner, Wickens' car climbed up over Hunter-Ray's , went over the safer barrier and got disintigrated by the catch fence behind. Horrible to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,975 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 10,975 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Wickens and Hunter-Ray collide on the corner, Wickens' car climbed up over Hunter-Ray's , went over the safer barrier and got disintigrated by the catch fence behind. Horrible to watch.

The on-board from Hunter Reay showed Wickens car wiping out the camera above RHRs head

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Awful awful accident, hope Wickens is not badly hurt

Michael Andretti showed lack of class attributing blame to Wickens when there are more important things to be concerned about

Chopper taking Wickens to hospital. Still no updates.
    Very, very concerning. Hope he's okay.

Wickens was conscious in the medical centre before the transfer.

Fittipaldi and Hinch are waiting on x-rays.

The catch fence doesn't really help to control the car, but violently digs into the fence spinning it viciously.

Apparently nothing broken for Hinch and Fittipaldi. Hinch didn't talk to the press. Headed straight to the hospital to see his teammate/best friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,416 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

That crash looked scary. Hope the driver makes a full recovery.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Race has restarted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Jesus, that was a horror crash

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

The only good thing about seeing crashes like that is knowing that's (in part) what the car is designed to do

Robert Wickens has been admitted to Lehigh Valley Cedar Crest Hospital in Allentown with orthopedic injuries. He is still being evaluated.

From SPM Facebook page about 40 minutes ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Jesus, that's terrible. In a way he's a lucky boy, though:

https://www.motorsportweek.com/news/id/19529

"The Canadian driver has broken both legs, right arm and has further injuries to his spine as well as bruising a lung

A joint statement from IndyCar and SPM read: "Schmidt Peterson Motorsports driver Robert Wickens is being treated for injuries to his lower extremities, right arm and spine following an incident in the ABC Supply 500 at Pocono Raceway. He also sustained a pulmonary contusion.

"He will undergo an MRI and probable surgery at Lehigh Valley Hospital - Cedar Crest. Further updates on his condition will be provided when available.""

He'll be back for the season opener next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭Harika

Ms

He'll be back for the season opener next year.

You really think so? Not so sure myself going by what Harika posted. Can't see them letting him race in it again just to risky now and insureses might not want to take that extra risk. Imagine he was in another crash like that or maybe one not so bad but still bad he could end up worse because of how they had to fix his spine. I am not a doctor do so what would I know. I do however know people including close family that have had back operations on their spine and some injuries too the spine never fully recover but recovery takes time and can not be rushed.
    Harika wrote: »

He is very lucky and will be even more so if he gets to race again.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Yeah I was being glib. :P He'll be back though, plenty have done it before.

Ah, didn't spot the spinal cord bit. :/

Ms

Ah, didn't spot the spinal cord bit. :/

So do you think it's unlikely that he will be back in an Indycar race then or any single seater? Maybe he could do Formula E but that might bore him.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Only thing everyone can hope for is that Wickens' multiple surgeries will be successful and that he can rehabilitate to full normal mobility again, wondering whether we'll see him back in an Indycar is a question that's very far down the line at this stage when the extent of his injuries to his spine are undetermined

Really rooting for him, very talented likeable driver who has been a great addition to Indycar this season

Usually takes a while for spinal stuff to be determined I think. There's all kinds of experimental stuff, hopefully he gets back to full health but we don't know how serious it is to begin with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Dixon missing fast 6 today and rossi up the pointy end gonna be interesting. I think Sonoma will be more important due to points involved but looking forward to tomorrow at Turn 1 again.

Advertisement