Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Formula 1 2018: General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 cagedbutterfly

Would Monaco be the toughest challenge of all for him? Or Baku?

I'd guess Monaco - short circuit with constant corners is bound to takes its toll.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Would Monaco be the toughest challenge of all for him? Or Baku?

Id also say Monaco. Singapore would be another hard track.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,805 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Hungary is also a bend after bend sort of track Kubica tested for Renault there and that appears to have been the end of his involvement with that team.
    I think he will be signed for 2018 but overall not going a regular sight in Q2 or Q3.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,409 ✭✭✭Harika

Is there anything comparable in recent history to the Kubica story?

Zanardi’s case is very different to that of Kubica before anyone mentions the fantastic efforts he made.

I think losing both legs versus a disfigured arm are incomparable.

Alessandro Nannini got his arm severed and that was reattached. But he never made it back to a F1 race but instead went to touring car racing. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alessandro_Nannini

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Harika wrote: »
    Alessandro Nannini got his arm severed and that was reattached. But he never made it back to a F1 race but instead went to touring car racing. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alessandro_Nannini

Yeah the helicopter crash.

Japan 1989 being his sole victory in controversial circumstances.

Balestre? Anyone remember him :pac:

I don’t think anyone has made it back to F1 after life altering injuries really. Well not in the last 20 years anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,409 ✭✭✭Harika

Yeah the helicopter crash.

Japan 1989 being his sole victory in controversial circumstances.

Balestre? Anyone remember him :pac:

I don’t think anyone has made it back to F1 after life altering injuries really. Well not in the last 20 years anyway.

Lauda would be the example I can think of.

Harika wrote: »
    Lauda would be the example I can think of.

Yeah, probably the closest comparison really thinking about it.

Ross Brawn is looking at bringing 3 new manufacturers into the sport in the form of Porsche, Aston Martin and Lamborghini,well 2 if you consider Aston Martin are already there as a Red Bull title Sponsor.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-autosport/887088/F1-News-Ross-Brawn-Manufacturers-Porsche-Aston-Martin-Lamborghini

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Ross Brawn is looking at bringing 3 new manufacturers into the sport in the form of Porsche, Aston Martin and Lamborghini,well 2 if you consider Aston Martin are already there as a Red Bull title Sponsor.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-autosport/887088/F1-News-Ross-Brawn-Manufacturers-Porsche-Aston-Martin-Lamborghini

It could be great for the sport is F1 can get the big name manufacturers into it. That's a big IF though.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭g1983d

Yeah, probably the closest comparison really thinking about it.

Johnny Herbert made it into F1 after nearly losing both his feet

• Advertisement

g1983d wrote: »
    Johnny Herbert made it into F1 after nearly losing both his feet

Brands Hatch 1988, an F3 race wasn't it?

Loads of examples out there, just can't think of something similar to Kubica's injuries and returned to F1 after it.

Zanardi did drive a BMW Sauber in 2006, 5 years after losing his legs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoTl4e-2tKk

Kubica was lucky not to lose his own foot/feet in Canada 2007.

I'd say the injuries to Herbert still seriously hampered him in F1 even though he was there over a decade.

The injuries to Martin Donnelly were probably worse again even though a come back never happened there either.

Kubica for the second seat.

Sirotkin for the 3rd driver role will do nicely.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/133429/kubica-90%25-of-my-driving-is-the-same

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭MuddyDog

Just found that BetStars have a market up for Williams next driver:

https://www.betstars.eu/#/motor_sports/outrights/6444182

MuddyDog wrote: »
    Just found that BetStars have a market up for Williams next driver:

https://www.betstars.eu/#/motor_sports/outrights/6444182

I’m hopeless when it comes to bookmakers.

Does that mean Kubica is the favourite?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

I’m hopeless when it comes to bookmakers.

Does that mean Kubica is the favourite?

Kubica odds on favourite. DiResta 5/1 against is second.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I would have thought Sirotkin to have better odds than DiResta, unless the bookies know something we don't?!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,614 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

The headline says "Robert Kubica test results revealed" but it doesn't actually reveal anything at all, the headline lap time everyone knew last week. Paddy didn't 'reveal' anything new, they've just reused the soundbites he gave after the test. So they know nothing new and, it's a clickbait article. I wish I could take back that click....

skipper_G wrote: »
    The headline says "Robert Kubica test results revealed" but it doesn't actually reveal anything at all, the headline lap time everyone knew last week. Paddy didn't 'reveal' anything new, they've just reused the soundbites he gave after the test. So they know nothing new and, it's a clickbait article. I wish I could take back that click....

I didn’t even read the article upon seeing the headline :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Both Kubica and Paddy were interviewed during the Autosport awards last night. It was nice to hear them talk about this situation, and to listen to their view points. I would love it for Kubica to make the comeback. And on the face of it, it does just seem to be a paperwork problem to get him back in the car. We'll see what happens in the coming months!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Am I the only one who's getting bored with all the speculation and re-hashing of articles while we wait for Williams to get the thumb out and make a decision?

Get it over with already.

Top Dog wrote: »
    Am I the only one who's getting bored with all the speculation and re-hashing of articles while we wait for Williams to get the thumb out and make a decision?

+1. The amount of absolute garbage that has been passed off as journalism in the last week is mind blowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

It would be strange if both Porsche and Lamborghini joined as they are both owned by the Volkswagen Audi group. So they would be paying twice the price to be in F1. I can see maybe one in it not two. Don't get be wrong it would be great but can't see the VW board agreeing to spend the money for two of there companies in the same sport.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    It would be strange if both Porsche and Lamborghini joined as they are both owned by the Volkswagen Audi group. So they would be paying twice the price to be in F1. I can see maybe one in it not two. Don't get be wrong it would be great but can't see the VW board agreeing to spend the money for two of there companies in the same sport.

I think manufacturers see the benefits in having 2 teams when negotiating with Liberty
    That's why Ferrari have spent on adding Alfa , William's is a Merc number 2 team, red bull have 2. More power = more money

Top Dog wrote: »

In recent years have Williams made any decisions without overthinking it? It's has even cost them races, there have been times where they play it safe to protect 2nd or 3rd when they could've gone for a win.
    I like Williams but the procrastination annoys me

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Yep 2 teams seems to almost be a requirement now in order to win.
    There is certainly the political advantage but also advantages in terms of wind tunnel time, testing time etc if they combine their knowledge / learning.

g1983d wrote: »
    In recent years have Williams made any decisions without overthinking it? It's has even cost them races, there have been times where they play it safe to protect 2nd or 3rd when they could've gone for a win.
    I like Williams but the procrastination annoys me

Pastor Maldonado?

Spain 2012 aside?

Pastor Maldonado?

Spain 2012 aside?

To be fair that was out of necessity, after years of underachievement their income suffered a decline and they needed the cash

skipper_G wrote: »
    To be fair that was out of necessity, after years of underachievement their income suffered a decline and they needed the cash

Might be going the same way in 2018

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/formulaone/article-5144537/amp/Williams-talks-Kubica-Sirotkin.html

• Advertisement

Daily Mail isn't getting a click out of me :D

Advertisement