Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

mayo.mick wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek:

Don't mention the war........ :D

Stopped reading when I seen the poster. Think that's what most in this thread are now doing.

Found the Ignore button? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Mayo News Football Podcast - Banner Beaters. http://themayonews.podomatic.com/enclosure/2017-07-10T13_44_00-07_00.mp3.

TBH if Cork and Clare had met in the Munster Championship this year I would have fancied Clare to win that game.I do not believe at any stage Cork really believed they could beat Kerry.

On the otherhand one only has to recall that All Ireland quarter final contest for it to crystallise how dangerous opponents Cork are.Ian Maguire and Alan O Connor are capable of winning a lot of ball in the middle of the park,I really rate Maguire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Question. At any point since 2011 have we kicked 20 points in a championship game? Dublin and Kerry do it numerous times. I remember us getting 21 points against Roscommon in 2013 but other than that we've always failed to rack up big scores.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,332 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Question. At any point since 2011 have we kicked 20 points in a championship game? Dublin and Kerry do it numerous times. I remember us getting 21 points against Roscommon in 2013 but other than that we've always failed to rack up big scores.

Against Sligo in the 2015 Connacht final. 25 points we kicked on top of the 6 goals, but I can't remember the last time we did the same against a somewhat decent side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Few 17,18,19 tallies but only two significant 20+. Roscommon in 2013 as you mentioned and the blitz against Sligo in 2015. I thought the win against Donegal would have featured but no, we scored 4-16 in that.

In fairness we have contributed a few goals but our points tally is our Achilles heel at times alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Few 17,18,19 tallies but only two significant 20+. Roscommon in 2013 as you mentioned and the blitz against Sligo in 2015. I thought the win against Donegal would have featured but no, we scored 4-16 in that.

In fairness we have contributed a few goals but our points tally is our Achilles heel at times alright

Just on the topic of scoring points, if COC got injured or black carded a la Dean Rock, who would step into the breech for kicking frees or 45s?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

Donal55 wrote: »
    Just on the topic of scoring points, if COC got injured or black carded a la Dean Rock, who would step into the breech for kicking frees or 45s?

"Sticks fingers in ears and sings "
    Lalallalalallalallalalallalalalallalalalalallalala

Hennelly for the 45s anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 21,092 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Donal55 wrote: »

Maurice Sheridan.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

PARlance wrote: »
    Maurice Sheridan.

And of course my brother will take them from the other side

:D

• Advertisement

km79 wrote: »
    And of course my brother will take them from the other side

:D

Get on to him Kenny

All joking aside this is a serious worry.Jason Doherty isn't starting and Kevin McLoughlin is no longer a viable option.

Of the six starting forwards the last day I'd imagine the burden would fall on Conor Loftus.

It really does not bare thinking about,disastrous scenario.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

seligehgit wrote: »
    All joking aside this is a serious worry.Jason Doherty isn't starting and Kevin McLoughlin is no longer a viable option.

Of the six starting forwards the last day I'd imagine the burden would fall on Conor Loftus.

It really does not bare thinking about,disastrous scenario.

Ya its poor really, that said time for lads to grow balls if it does. You would assume that we have a back up plan.... *cough cough*

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Mayo Club 51

DE70_2rWAAAJchI.jpg

yop wrote: »
    Ya its poor really, that said time for lads to grow balls if it does. You would assume that we have a back up plan.... *cough cough*

Don't worry, there is a backup cunning plan should the original cunning plan be circumvented. But the original cunning plan included aspects of mis-information, so who knows really ;):D

Season ticket attendance now on st list and money taken from bank this am. The countdown begins as the sap rises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

mayo.mick wrote: »

inph841459.jpg

I hope they have enough stewards on duty if that guy turns up! They may need to call up reinforcements.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭franklyon

The referee is the linesman involved in the Diarmuid Connelly incident :pac: if anyone was thinking they might have heard that name recently

Anybody know a decent place to park on Saturday evening?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,991 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

There is a shopping center called the Jetway or something like that, it's more or less across the road for the stand side of the ground, about 5 mins walk.

Loads of parking and free, used it the day of "that game" and it was dead handy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Limerick IT car park could be open. I'd be parking that side of the city anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,585 ✭✭✭Cartman78

There is a shopping center called the Jetway or something like that, it's more or less across the road for the stand side of the ground, about 5 mins walk.

Loads of parking and free, used it the day of "that game" and it was dead handy.

That's the Jetland.....word of caution though...they've copped on to match-goers parking there before (not that there's that many big games in the Gaelic Grounds :rolleyes:) so there might be marshals out blocking non-shoppers.

If you fancy a slightly longer walk (and possible quicker getaway) I'd consider the Tesco carpark at Coonagh....it was meant to be a massive retail park but only a Tesco there so squillions of spaces...probably a 15-20 min walk but will save you time sitting in traffic on the way out.

LIT Car Park is a good shout too if open - also has the advantage of a quick getaway on the back roads (Cratloe, Moylish, Sixmilebridge).

For those feeling a bit more adventurous - you could pop through the tunnel and spin up the Dock Rd and park in a multi-storey for a couple of hours. Would be €3.80 in tolls and around €1.80 an hour for parking....but would deffo get you on the motorway than going the other way.

Anything further south than the Dock Road is likely to be full of schnakey Cork fans :pac:

Anyway, feel free to ask any other Limerick related questions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Anyway, feel free to ask any other Limerick related questions

Looking to find somewhere to get lunch within walking distance of the grounds if possible.

Did the town parking, lunch and walk out when we played Kerry in that infamous semi-final, but to be honest, its a very long way out to walk, especially on the elder folks with us.

Doesn't have to be too fancy, just a filling lunch, and minimising the walk to the ground.
    Was thinking of the Radisson and then driving in after eating, but might hit trouble with parking closer to throw-in.
    Ideally looking to find a place within 15 mins walk of the ground.

Looking to find somewhere to get lunch within walking distance of the grounds if possible.

Did the town parking, lunch and walk out when we played Kerry in that infamous semi-final, but to be honest, its a very long way out to walk, especially on the elder folks with us.

Doesn't have to be too fancy, just a filling lunch, and minimising the walk to the ground.
    Was thinking of the Radisson and then driving in after eating, but might hit trouble with parking closer to throw-in.
    Ideally looking to find a place within 15 mins walk of the ground.

You'd be doing well to find somewhere decent within that range tbh (unless I'm forgetting somewhere obvious) - there's loads of Centras, Mace etc. but sounds like you're looking for somewhere to sit down.

The Radisson is an option alright but you could hit serious traffic (unless you fancy going in the back roads via Moylish, Moyross etc. - if the LIT car park was open that could deffo work well).

There's also the Greenhills Hotel on the Ennis Road - you might even be able to leave the car there I'd say but could be a nightmare to get out of.

There's an easy to miss Eddie Rockets as well off the Coonagh Roundabout (big roundabout opposite the Tesco I mentioned) - next to the Travelodge. I've eaten there a couple of times and it's been fine.

If you're down really early and have time to kill, you could take the tunnel and take one of the other exits and come in via the Dublin Road or something, would give you more options in Castletroy, Annacotty etc (eg Finnegans) but probably not worth it if you're tight for time

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Ardhu bar is a five minute walk and does passable grub. There's also Ivan's cafe a couple of minutes in the other direction.

keane2097 wrote: »
    Ardhu bar is a five minute walk and does passable grub. There's also Ivan's cafe a couple of minutes in the other direction.

Good shouts but both likely to be jammers I would say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Some good options there, thanks Cartman78 and keane2097.

Just seen it shared on Facebook. Durty Nellys in Bunratty are doing a €15 deal, main course and transport to/from the game (5 min walk).

I'm sure it'll be fun getting back but it's an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Good shouts but both likely to be jammers I would say

Depends on the times I suppose but worth a try anyway. There's a BBs or something inside the Jetland I think as well, probably has the usual packaged sandwiches and things if it's still there.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Jetland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Over_the_waves

Mayo should win if they play to their potential, but they must start the game competitively this time! Dunno what's been going on with the warm-ups etc. but they've started the game 15 minutes after the opposition far too often this season.

Have a feeling that Cork will be up for this, lots of comments flying around the Cork sites about the "insult" of not playing in the Parc this weekend...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement