Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2018 Irish Gigs (Rumours & Confirmed Events)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

You've people saying the same about every concert venue around the country.
    Don't think I have ever seen it said about say bord gais theatre or the national concert hall. And any others like the olympia or 3arena do not have the same level of utter disdain you see for slane, and far fewer saying "NEVER again".

People in the 60s or 70s would not even consider slane a possibility, but croke park would be plausible. While people in their 80s could manage a gig in the concert hall.

My point is that croke park would indeed sell, the poster was asking if they even could. I believe there are loads who have yet to see the stones play here, the 2003 gigs were limited in ticket amounts, and slane was ruled out. I think they could get away with charging very high prices too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

rubadub wrote: »
    I think so, you have to remember the last time was Slane, this would not have even been considered an option for lots of older fans. A lot of others would rule out slane too, just look at the amount of people you see saying "gig was great, but jaysus, never again -NEVER" in almost all slane threads!

Not a great portion this year tbf, This coming from a previous naysayer I didn't return till this year didn't buy tickets when they initially went on sale even but I had braced myself for what comes with it and with that approach would have none of the hesitation now going back there that I once had if an act of severe interest to me played there in fact it's certainly preferable than the Aviva or Croker.

On the older heads point found a strong number at GnR were ones that had also attended the show in '92 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,450 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

rubadub wrote: »
    A lot of others would rule out slane too, just look at the amount of people you see saying "gig was great, but jaysus, never again -NEVER" in almost all slane threads.

You've people saying the same about every concert venue around the country. They still pack them in every time.
    Not every time. The Stereophonics year was sparse.

In reality they could have any old twaddle on in Slane and people would go though yeah. Mostly people from the midlands and people from the north. Even the living hell that is Slane is better than spending another day where they're from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭julyjane

I've said "never again" about Slane myself before but couldn't resist Guns n Roses. A few days before the gig we were dreading the journey in and out so we booked the campsite for the weekend, best decision we ever made. Met up with a few friends and had a few beers, only had to walk a few hundred yards down the road to the castle. After the show had another few beers and then called it a night, by the sounds of it we were asleep in the tent when others were still stuck in buses trying to get out of Slane. I'd go back to Slane in a heartbeat if it was a band I liked. (So Billie Joe Armstrong, if you're reading this.......)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,763 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

• Advertisement

PTH2009 wrote: »

Blown out of proportion for clicks which is typical of them.

If this affected the entire scope of gigs then it would paralyze smaller bands which can't be allowed happen.

I was at Green Day wasn't sold out even though no tickets were showing on TM for weeks suggesting it was (underestimated tickets they could flog on Seatwave perhaps?). Say in around 10 thousand attended with tickets around €60 that's 600k you'd want to sell a bust load of merch to even hit 1m before overheads are even deducted so why they are in a conversation about going away with 30m plus is a bit much and that's just using them as an example.

If this happened for the major scale events this wouldn't deter the big mainstream acts at all as suggested the reality is the cost as usual will be lobbed on the punter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Rfrip

God joe.ie infuriates me with their drivel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭jsms88

Heard a rumour of Roger Waters playing Pairc Ui Chaoimh but haven't been able to get any other info so I'm just waiting with fingers crossed. His current tour is being referred to as 2017-2018 with no 2018 gigs announced yet though. Presumably he'd do Dublin too obviously!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Arcade Fire in the Three Arena next April...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTEohBD-_L6roBCDx-liRtWGFuX2EsS23LuQXzkXATPmGCnaJTuxw

"In the round" means that the crowd can be on all 4 sides of the stage. Be interesting how it'll work in the Three. Muse did something similar last year. Here's what Arcade Fire looked like "in the round" in London earlier this year....
    GettyImages-808437802_ARCADE_FIRE_YORK_HALL-920x584.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 84,986 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I think Take That (with all 5 members) could do Aviva or Croke Park for 25th anniversary

• Advertisement

BBC have announced what they are dubbing "The Biggest weekend", with no Glastonbury next year it suggests the kind of coverage afforded to that will be put into this, no exact locations but does say concerts will take place in all parts of the UK so it's probably safe to suggest the NI ones are set for Belfast, Of course while acts are on these shores there's always potential for them to head south too, weekend in question is UK bank holiday (25-28 May) (the usual FL playoffs weekend).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2017/the-biggest-weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭jsms88

Any rumours on Paul MacCartney?? He's been away from Ireland for a long time and he is currently touring.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

I can just seeing it being a Radio 1 Big Weekend/Oxegen/TITP style line up

• Registered Users Posts: 15,107 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I can just seeing it being a Radio 1 Big Weekend/Oxegen/TITP style line up

Same, even the name suggests that.

BBC just taking advantage of the fallow year, but to be fair the market is open. The Big Weekend is just 1 city with tickets (free ??) to residents of that city only.

They wouldn't do any Irish weekend, other than Belfast, if they were doing a multitude of venues. That said, Derry was chosen a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Daft Punk is all I want to see but Ive given up hoping :(

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭SecretsOfEarth

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Arcade Fire in the Three Arena next April...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTEohBD-_L6roBCDx-liRtWGFuX2EsS23LuQXzkXATPmGCnaJTuxw

"In the round" means that the crowd can be on all 4 sides of the stage. Be interesting how it'll work in the Three.

A random addition by me but in 2009 Britney Spears came here on her Circus tour and her stage setup consisted of three circular stages, a main stage and two side stages all connected by runways. Back then, they placed the stages in the standing area and left the traditional 'stage wall' covered. They then placed a lower section of tiered seating there, with additional standing around the three stages. There are videos of YouTube that show it from those various angles and it seemed to work quite well.

I'm sure not will Garth Brooks do a nationwide stadium tour next summer with Ed Sheeran doing one but it makes so much sense for Garth too do one. I just hope he plays here too bury the 2014 shambles

His touring stage looks huge and will not fit into some places if I was aiken I'd book Garth for

2x nights in Paric Ui Chaomh (if Ed Sheeran didn't use up the allocation)
    2x nights in Thomond Park
    2x nights in Belfast
    2x nights in Dublin (Aviva Stadium)

Garth is not exactly a superstar in Europe and would need irish shows too make any sort of $$$$ from Europe. He has hinted that the North American portion of the world tour will end in December but knowing him he could take 2018 off and then tour overseas in 2019

Id like too see the Foo Fighters with a strong support lineup play Croke Park or the Aviva. I can see U2 Playing a special show in Slane, The Script will play outdoors

Personally, I feel that the 3Arena is a poorly planned arena. When being renovated in 2007-2008, its design should have been changed to that of a traditional arena. Yes, the 'intimacy' of the venue is a positive, but it defeats the purpose of the arena, which includes to attract huge music names.

In recent years, the country has missed out on many arena shows by huge names due to the limited space of the 3Arena. Many acts bypassed the arena including Katy Perry (2014 and 2018), Lady Gaga (2017) and Madonna (2015/2016), as the 'cone shape' of the arena is not deep enough to accommodate ambitious stages. Frequently, acts have to reduce or modify their setup to fit into the arena, including Ariana Grande (2017) and Lady Gaga (2014), altering the show and often removing entire parts. While some may say that this is just me complaining as a pop fan, I'm sure there are countless examples of other acts who have been limited by the size of the venue.

To provide for both intimate acts and huge productions, I believe we need a smaller venue in a similar vein to the 3Arena and a larger one designed like the O2, the MEN Arena and other worldwide stadiums.

Personally, I feel that the 3Arena is a poorly planned arena. When being renovated in 2007-2008, its design should have been changed to that of a traditional arena. Yes, the 'intimacy' of the venue is a positive, but it defeats the purpose of the arena, which includes to attract huge music names.

In recent years, the country has missed out on many arena shows by huge names due to the limited space of the 3Arena. Many acts bypassed the arena including Katy Perry (2014 and 2018), Lady Gaga (2017) and Madonna (2015/2016), as the 'cone shape' of the arena is not deep enough to accommodate ambitious stages. Frequently, acts have to reduce or modify their setup to fit into the arena, including Ariana Grande (2017) and Lady Gaga (2014), altering the show and often removing entire parts. While some may say that this is just me complaining as a pop fan, I'm sure there are countless examples of other acts who have been limited by the size of the venue.

To provide for both intimate acts and huge productions, I believe we need a smaller venue in a similar vein to the 3Arena and a larger one designed like the O2, the MEN Arena and other worldwide stadiums.

Don't think Dublin needs any other massive arena but I get where were coming from with the way the 3arena is designed. They should of made it a hockey style arena which is capable of staging any type of event. Prob be murdered for suggesting this but id get rid of the Olympia and build a 8000 seater arena too attract mid size acts

The Hydro in Glasgow is similar too the 3arena but is designed in a way that can incorporate In the round shows perfectly even though it's not a hockey style arena. It has larger standing area

Don't think Dublin needs any other massive arena but I get where were coming from with the way the 3arena is designed. They should of made it a hockey style arena which is capable of staging any type of event. Prob be murdered for suggesting this but id get rid of the Olympia and build a 8000 seater arena too attract mid size acts

The Hydro in Glasgow is similar too the 3arena but is designed in a way that can incorporate In the round shows perfectly even though it's not a hockey style arena. It has larger standing area

Yeah, I should've worded it better but I meant the option as a replacement to the 3Arena, not a supplementary thing. The Ericsson Globe is another example of a venue that appears slightly more intimate than traditional venues but has adequate space and capacity. Don't understand why we couldn't have followed either the O2 London or the Hydro etc when renovating the Point!

• Advertisement

Yeah, I should've worded it better but I meant the option as a replacement to the 3Arena, not a supplementary thing. The Ericsson Globe is another example of a venue that appears slightly more intimate than traditional venues but has adequate space and capacity. Don't understand why we couldn't have followed either the O2 London or the Hydro etc when renovating the Point!

Typical lazy irish planning look at our major stadiums ie Aviva Stadium, RDS, Pairc ui Chaomh there good but could of been better

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭turbowolfed

3 to be confirmed concerts have been booked in the RDS Arena for next summer

3 to be confirmed concerts have been booked in the RDS Arena for next summer

When is the redevelopment there happening??

Mid size acts are playing the Olympia anyway! They have a hockey area in Belfast it gets the odd show over the years that can't be done in Dublin but for the most part not much in the grand scheme of things a mid size venue would be more in the region of 3500-5000 over that can play the 3.O2 anyway scaled back if they have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I love the shape of the Three, and a lot of music acts do to, you always hear bands commenting on how it's just a wall of fans when they look out.

The "hockey arena" style venues are too bland IMO, I've been at some of those shows in Vancouver and they're not all they're cracked up to be. You've people sitting behind the band, and the length of a hockey arena means you've people sitting much further away from where they'd be at the Three.

Did Katy Perry, Madonna and Gaga all skip Ireland because of the shape of the Three? Thought they played the Aviva instead and didn't use 360 there anyway. If bands really want to play the Three with a 360 gig they'll find a way (see Muse, U2)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭turbowolfed

When is the redevelopment there happening??

late 2018/2019

• Registered Users Posts: 10,677 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Public Service Broadcasting
    Academy, Dublin
    Weds 24 Jan, €28

Highly recommended, cracking live show

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

I love the shape of the Three, and a lot of music acts do to, you always hear bands commenting on how it's just a wall of fans when they look out.

I agree, I'm quite fond of the intimacy of the 3Arena. If the venue was unable to attract huge music names, then I would perhaps make a point of the size. Yet it doesn't seem to have that problem, and tends to be among the busier arenas in Europe.
    Did Katy Perry, Madonna and Gaga all skip Ireland because of the shape of the Three? Thought they played the Aviva instead and didn't use 360 there anyway. If bands really want to play the Three with a 360 gig they'll find a way (see Muse, U2)

They don't use in-the-round I believe, but they have large elaborate stages and B-stages. Though is it speculative that they skipped the 3Arena because of its size?

I have heard that it has been for the case for Metallica to repeatedly skip the 3Arena for that reason. They play in-the-round and haven't played Dublin since 2009, and an indoor gig here since the 90s.

However it can be done. The Jonas Brothers in 2009 played an in-the-round show at the (then) O2. Probably would work well in the case of Arcade Fire, who I'd imagine would prefer the smaller size of the 3Arena.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Daft Punk is all I want to see but Ive given up hoping :(

They're playing in my house

my house

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Before blaming them for lazy planning, bear in mind that we have very restrictive planning regulations in this country and the Point Depot is a protected structure. You couldn't fundamentally alter the shape of it and certain elements of the exterior had to be maintained. In fact, what they achieved in terms of re-engineering the building was astonishing.

It is always way more challenging to build from a brownfield site, particularly one which has a 'listing'. But Mr.Crosbie chose to go with that at the outset and to be fair he turned a run down dump into a venue which helps Dublin attract its fair share of acts. There wasn't a queue of people looking to build an 8k+ indoor venue in the city centre back in 1988, when to be frank we didn't have an arse in our trousers.

Advertisement