Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and Intercounty) Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Congratulations on opening a Tipperary GAA Thread here, it was a mistake to limit it to 2016. As you leave yourself open to someone else opening a 2017 thread next October.

If it were possible to change the title and omit the year the thread would run for 10,000 posts just like all the other counties.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

This hurling business really doesn't matter that much does it....

[font=Arial, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Tipperary goalkeeper talks about how a deep personal loss turned his world upside down two days before the 2011 All-Ireland senior hurling semi-final.[/font]

http://www.balls.ie/football/watch-chelsea-fan-singing-on-sky-sports/319750?utm_campaign=twitter&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitter

• This hurling business really doesn't matter that much does it....

[font=Arial, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Tipperary goalkeeper talks about how a deep personal loss turned his world upside down two days before the 2011 All-Ireland senior hurling semi-final.[/font]

http://www.balls.ie/football/watch-chelsea-fan-singing-on-sky-sports/319750?utm_campaign=twitter&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitter

I read that in Cummins book alright. I've the utmost respect for that man. Worth noting he never lowered himself to the digs of Babs. Always criticised the situation and not the man

This hurling business really doesn't matter that much does it....

I read that in Cummins book alright. I've the utmost respect for that man. Worth noting he never lowered himself to the digs of Babs. Always criticised the situation and not the man
    That is very true - that takes class.

The budget is getting bigger - but we seem to be abe to pay the bills, for now. But, all it takes is one bad year...

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/football/tipperary-gaas-costs-pass-1m-but-board-remain-in-the-black-372209.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

The budget is getting bigger - but we seem to be abe to pay the bills, for now. But, all it takes is one bad year...

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/football/tipperary-gaas-costs-pass-1m-but-board-remain-in-the-black-372209.html

Would this be in line with other counties...looks like a huge amount to me.

Though we're one of the few counties along with Galway and cork who field teams competitive in both codes..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,837 ✭✭✭blackcard

digzy wrote: »

Though we're one of the few counties along with Galway and cork who field teams competitive in both codes..

Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Are we really though?

Bit of a myth to be honest, the reality is our footballers are a Division 3 team who have beaten no one of note in their province ( 2 wins in the last 6 years against Limerick and Waterford), yes we have enjoyed some great success underage but the reality is our seniors are as far from success as they have ever been, and that is not likely to change any time soon.

danganabu wrote: »

Are we really though?

Bit of a myth to be honest, the reality is our footballers are a Division 3 team who have beaten no one of note in their province ( 2 wins in the last 6 years against Limerick and Waterford), yes we have enjoyed some great success underage but the reality is our seniors are as far from success as they have ever been, and that is not likely to change any time soon.
    I would qualify that by saying success is relative and compared to the doldrums Tipp Football was in...it's in a far better state now...

Commercials won their first Munster Senior Club title
    - there is regular underage success, as in getting to finals and sometimes getting silverware,
    -the senior Tipp footballers have taken some scalps in the last few years that they would never have gotten to play before. They're are definitely not as far away as they have ever been - do they have the budget, tradition, and current set up of kerry, dublin, tyrone, donegal and others - no. But, there's been huge improvements but they have had some serious set backs before this season has begun through losing players . And, you're right if success is just senior silverware then it will be a long time in coming...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Are we really though?

i'll qualify that by saying that if you split the football teams into 2 halves we'd just about be in the better half..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Are we really though?

They've beaten some decent sides and reached the last round of qualifiers ( last 12 in AI) a couple of years back. They've certainly come on quite a bit from the days of being a lower half of the table div 4 side and going out after two games in the championship every summer.

I agree with you though that to truly breakthrough they need to claim a championship win over one of the big two in Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Couple of other counties have released financial statements recently so it doesn't seem wildly out of line with figures from other counties.

Also it's not just the senior teams - U21, minor and junior teams can add a fair chunk especially if they go on a good way in their respective competitions. Some county (I think it's Limerick but not sure) were saying their expenses had increased because a high number of players had to have surgery in the one year.

Time we got behind Clonmel Commercials in their preparations for the quarter final with Ballyboden/St.Endas.

Or maybe they will just come in under the radar!

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

Any of ye heading to templemore sunday?im heading anyway looking forward to it now.hopefully weather wont be 2 bad.

buggy beag wrote: »
    Any of ye heading to templemore sunday?im heading anyway looking forward to it now.hopefully weather wont be 2 bad.

Will it go ahead at all I wonder? Templemore is a wet field at the best of times.

danganabu wrote:
    Will it go ahead at all I wonder? Templemore is a wet field at the best of times.

Someone was saying during the weekend that it would be grand but alor of rain has falling since and probably more to come so its hard to know.any templemore lads on here that could tell us more?

Line up for tomorrows game as per programme:

1. Darren Gleeson, Portroe
    2. Joe O’Dwyer, Killenaule
    3. Michael Breen, Ballina
    4. Conor O’Brien, Eire Óg Anacarthy
    5. Willie Ryan, Clonakenny
    6. John Meagher, Loughmore Castleiney
    7. Padraic Maher, Thurles Sarsfields
    8. Joe Gallagher, Kiladangan
    9. Bill Maher, Kilsheelan-Kilcash
    10. Dan McCormack, Borris-Ileigh
    11. Patrick Maher, Lorrha Dorrha
    12. Sean Curran, Mullinahone
    13. Liam McGrath, Loughmore Castleiney
    14. Conor Kenny, Borris-Ileigh
    15. Adrian Ryan, Templederry
    16. Darragh Mooney, Eire Óg Anacarthy
    17. Cathal Barrett, Holycross Ballycahill
    18. Michael Cahill, Thurles Sarsfields
    19. Liam Ryan, Drom & Inch
    20. Kieran Bergin, Killenaule
    21. Daire Quinn, Nenagh Eire Óg
    22. John O’Dwyer, Killenaule
    23. Jason Forde, Silvermines
    24. Kieran Morris, Moycarkey-Borris
    25. Dylan Fitzell, Cashel King Cormacs

Tipp lead at ht 2 10 to 1 08

Brendan MAHER is in Australia playing cricket =

http://www.balls.ie/gaa/brendan-maher-the-toughest-trade/321233

Clonmel Commercials beat Tipperary in Thurles yesterday!

• Advertisement

Thoughts on Stakelum?

Nice guy, sound.

But, is he cut out for this?

O'Mahony on life as a professional:

'[font=source-sans-pro, sans-serif]People think you just come out here and bulk up but it couldn't be more the opposite. They want lean athletes who can run. It's not rugby, you're not tumbling into lads every two seconds, you're trying to avoid the hits.[/font]
    [font=source-sans-pro, sans-serif]Some people thought I was coming over here for a holiday and thought I'd be in looking at the Opera House and the Harbour Bridge every day of the week, but I haven't been into the city once.[/font]
    [font=source-sans-pro, sans-serif]I've driven one road: the road to the club and then back home. All you do is [/font][font=source-sans-pro, sans-serif]train[/font][font=source-sans-pro, sans-serif]. You come home, you sleep, you eat, you train. It's a cliche but it's true and when you're not training, you're trying to recover.'[/font]

[font=source-sans-pro, sans-serif]http://www.balls.ie/gaa/colin-oriordan-reveals-the-harsh-lesson-he-learned-due-to-the-professionalism-of-the-afl/321477[/font]

O'Mahony on life as a professiona

I think you mean Colin O'Riordan.

correct

Thoughts on Stakelum?

Nice guy, sound.

Posted this on the 'other' Tipp thread ;

Just heard the same, and to be honesty am a little shocked, I don't recall him having any previous management roles ever apart from a brief stint with his own club a few years back which wasn't exactly earth shattering, but without knowing his exact role etc. we will reserve judgement. The management team was looking rather lob sided with ex-defenders so at least he is different in that regard.

Thoughts on Stakelum?

Nice guy, sound.

Posted this on the 'other' Tipp thread ;

Just heard the same, and to be honesty am a little shocked, I don't recall him having any previous management roles ever apart from a brief stint with his own club a few years back which wasn't exactly earth shattering, but without knowing his exact role etc. we will reserve judgement. The management team was looking rather lob sided with ex-defenders so at least he is different in that regard.
    I'd agree. There's always room for a nice, even eccentric member of a backroom team to provide relief and humanity. But, I'd prefer someone like that to also be bringing a wealth of coaching talent... - I don't think Stakelum's career to date suggests that... - I'd like to see both Wiliam Maher and Liam Cahill as part of the senior set-up also. If we're serious about continuity and apprenticing future coaches why not do that...
    And, if you're bringing in someone like Stakelum, why not someone like Mini Heffernan instead who has taken Nenagh to a few county finals playing a good brand of hurling...

I'd agree. There's always room for a nice, even eccentric member of a backroom team to provide relief and humanity. But, I'd prefer someone like that to also be bringing a wealth of coaching talent... - I don't think Stakelum's career to date suggests that... - I'd like to see both Wiliam Maher and Liam Cahill as part of the senior set-up also. If we're serious about continuity and apprenticing future coaches why not do that...
    And, if you're bringing in someone like Stakelum, why not someone like Mini Heffernan instead who has taken Nenagh to a few county finals playing a good brand of hurling...

Oh good god no, I doubt you would even get a Nenagh man to agree with that, a complete liabilty and Nenagh have gotten to those County Finals in spite of him as opposed to because of him.

Liam Cahill would never give up the Minor job to play a bit part and likewise William Maher has ambitions of some day landing the main job himself.

Both have had run ins with the county board, in particular Maher, but seems to be back somewhat in the good books again.

I would predict that William Maher and Eoin Kelly will be the next management team(both more that qualified and competent and they are brothers in law)

Oh good god no, I doubt you would even get a Nenagh man to agree with that, a complete liabilty and Nenagh have gotten to those County Finals in spite of him as opposed to because of him.

Liam Cahill would never give up the Minor job to play a bit part and likewise William Maher has ambitions of some day landing the main job himself.

Both have had run ins with the county board, in particular Maher, but seems to be back somewhat in the good books again.

I would predict that William Maher and Eoin Kelly will be the next management team(both more that qualified and competent and they are brothers in law)
    I don't think they should have to give up their roles with the underage set up to be involved with the senior set up. The whole point was continuity - they could have some role with the seniors twice a month or something. Continuity is continuity - that way they can have an overview of the current set up and players - and go from there down the line.

I'd say Fanning would be ahead of the que of Maher and Kelly - not saying that's right. But, he seems to be being for the role. Has that bit more experience of the senior set up that both of those two...

What's wrong with Heffernan? Do you have any examples?

What's wrong with Heffernan? Do you have any examples?

Oh too many to mention, and I have first hand experience.

Two managers have left Nenagh in the past 4 years as a result of him. He's role in the Toomevara scrap this year was embarrassing, he roared personal abuse at an opponent two years ago who had lost a family member to suicide, and did something similar to a Templederry player last year although not as personal.

There have been numerous incidents down the years during his involvement with Nenagh Vocational school as well.

Not being smart at all and maybe from the outside the results are impressive (don't actually think they are myself considering the talent produced) but there is less than a zero chance of him being involved with Tipp, there is a very substantial number of people involved in the Nenagh club who want him out and if it weren't for Tommy, Michael and Barry he would be gone long ago.

• Advertisement

he roared personal abuse at an opponent two years ago who had lost a family member to suicide

If this is true he should be banned for life, even as a spectator at all GAA matches!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement