Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Callan's Kicks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

i dont think he can do matt, or sharon for that matter, they come off as just a tad "wrong"

but matts one is so hysterically funny i can forgive it. it like he said "fuk it ill just go full on helium instead"

"heellooo imm mattt coooooopaaah"

:D:D:D

best item in this weeks was dobbo/sharon reading out the "top ten earners in RTE" and dobboa reaction at being named.

I was reading Steve Coogan talking about this recently here's basically two types of impressions that work in a comedic sense:
    1. The kind that has the voice, accent etc. down to a tee where you'd almost think it's the person themselves
    2. Take some characteristic of that person and exaggerate it to some degree, anywhere from a little to enormously - regardless of the accent

Both work to varying degrees. Callan's Cooper to me is the latter....more about the person and his traits than the accent. I like Callan's Cooper for what it is - it's not a voice impression.

Coogan however is a master of the voice:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Lol @ Des interviewing Joe.

Lol @ Des interviewing Joe.

Good example of where the voice isn't accurate, but he nails the rest of it is spot on! ;);)

Between this and D'Arcy saying joe wasn't working class last week Duffy will either submit a bullying claim against RTÉ or take even more time off than usual.....please be the latter! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Did they do a similar Judas sketch last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭Field east

Heard Callan Kicks today . Have not heard it for a few months. It continues to be a load of rubbish IMO. He just takes any subject/, event, Presents it with a few dull/ wired comments with a sexist twist if he can somehow fit it in and we are all supposed to laugh. We were spoiled with Dermot Morgan. Any chance RTE will give Salvage another chance.

Another point . What on earth did The Claire Byrne show have him on for. Her prog is supposed to be dealing with serious matters and here he was sitting opposite Mattie McGrath andShane Ross. OC let his mask slip a month or two ago by writing an article in an English tabloid and arguing that SF did not get as much airtime as it was entitled to and that the media was more harsh on its questioning to SF than it was to other parties.
    Very bad judgement by RTE if only on the balance issue apart from the appropriateness of having a comic on a panel discussing the current political situation - . He may have some journalistic exp but come on now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,853 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Hey there..
    There are a lot of threads about getting in to the Civil Service on here.

Callan's kicks latest revelation Kitty Corridor is a must listen to for those thinking about a CS career.

Hilarious but Oh so so true. I know. LOL.

Just listen and enjoy.

I like Micheal Martin, and laugh out loud LOL at his interpretation of him, along with Mahhie Mc Grath.

Sure it's only a laugh, and no need to get annoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭Field east

Hey there..
    There are a lot of threads about getting in to the Civil Service on here.

Callan's kicks latest revelation Kitty Corridor is a must listen to for those thinking about a CS career.

Hilarious but Oh so so true. I know. LOL.

Just listen and enjoy.

I like Micheal Martin, and laugh out loud LOL at his interpretation of him, along with Mahhie Mc Grath.

Sure it's only a laugh, and no need to get annoyed.

Am very happy for you. But I find it very trashy and very low grade. I wonder what kind of a listener ship would it have if it was not stuck into a prime time slot on the RTE schedule. I find a lot of his stuff really cringing. What I do find is listening to Lav Kahn and then reading 'da buke'. Ie the comments from the Boardies posters on the show. It is pure comedy

Field east wrote: »
    Am very happy for you. But I find it very trashy and very low grade. I wonder what kind of a listener ship would it have if it was not stuck into a prime time slot on the RTE schedule. I find a lot of his stuff really cringing. What I do find is listening to Lav Kahn and then reading 'da buke'. Ie the comments from the Boardies posters on the show. It is pure comedy

I was a late comer to Callan's Kicks. I find the standard deviates from week to week, but when he gets it right, it can be very good. It needs more Lahv Lahn though - last Friday's Lahv Lahn sketch nailed Joe's penchant for exaggeration and attempts to create outrage where there is none.

The combination of a Lahv Lahn + boards.ie thread comments is hard to beat alright. The two normally work in parallel - the more bonbkers Lahv Lahn is, the better and funnier the thread is; when Joe goes full on misery, the thread dries up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

I was a late comer to Callan's Kicks. I find the standard deviates from week to week, but when he gets it right, it can be very good. It needs more Lahv Lahn though - last Friday's Lahv Lahn sketch nailed Joe's penchant for exaggeration and attempts to create outrage where there is none.

The combination of a Lahv Lahn + boards.ie thread comments is hard to beat alright. The two normally work in parallel - the more bonbkers Lahv Lahn is, the better and funnier the thread is; when Joe goes full on misery, the thread dries up.

90% of the thread is about as funny as a Funny Friday, the other 10% is what makes it worth dipping into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭doc11

Callans kicks is great. Really hits the nail on the head on most matters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71,259 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

'Callan's Kicks' back tonight on RT Radio 1, 6.30pm.

• 'Callan's Kicks' back tonight on RT Radio 1, 6.30pm.

Thanks for the heads up........................................I will watch the Waltons so..Their fuzzy auld wireless sounds better

He nails Pat Kenny, ipso facto!

Good line on Waterford accents too, "sounds like they're doing the haka whilst eating a chicken tikka sandwich"

Like others have said though, the impresions are usually funnier than the writing. Might be something to do with the fact that Fiona Looney is one of the writers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,369 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I loved this last season but this episode was simply not funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

I loved this last season but this episode was simply not funny.

It was quite dreadful.

The Marian Finucane/Hilary Clinton sketch was quite good :blush:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,935 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

The Marian Finucane/Hilary Clinton sketch was quite good :blush:

Stop blushing, it was good.

The rest wasn't great though.

New series, different timeslot.

This Saturday afternoon at 2pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭xl500

Is there anything worse that the drivel that is Callans Kicks its so simplistic Dermot Morgan must be turning in his Grave

This Guy must have some in in RTE considering the amount of exposure he gets

• Registered Users Posts: 7,945 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I think it's been quite good this season!

What's the deal with him playing Marian Finucane as an alcoholic every week though? She appears to be anything but, I've never heard so much as fluff a line. Is there a grain of truth in it or is it just so not the case that it's funny? I can't tell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,026 ✭✭✭✭neris

Thought the marian sketch was brilliant today. Cure for red wine hangovers to wash it out with a bottle of white.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

Is there a grain of truth in it or is it just so not the case that it's funny? I can't tell.

Ah here, how long is it since you listened? Every week she walks in to studio, coughs a few times, asks everybody if there will be a hard brexit or a soft brexit .... and she might as well be talking about people like soft butter or hard butter for the amount that she knows herself. Just throws out the buzz words and a few high pitched exclamatory interjections. Job done, back on the plane to France.

No idea how Callan gets away with what he says though. That's him that does the posh voiceover for her show. And he was on the show not so long ago. I'd say that she must despise the sight of him.

I'd say that she must despise the sight of him.

It HAAAAS to be said :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,945 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Ah here, how long is it since you listened? Every week she walks in to studio, coughs a few times, asks everybody if there will be a hard brexit or a soft brexit .... and she might as well be talking about people like soft butter or hard butter for the amount that she knows herself. Just throws out the buzz words and a few high pitched exclamatory interjections. Job done, back on the plane to France.

No idea how Callan gets away with what he says though. That's him that does the posh voiceover for her show. And he was on the show not so long ago. I'd say that she must despise the sight of him.

Haha I'd say she really does, she certainly didn't afford him a warm reception when he was last on. He's been on the Sunday show as a political commentator too and he was actually excellent, I was really surprised.

Infairness, she doesn't put a huge about of effort in at times. I'm amazed he gets away with it though, being a bit bored on the job is very different to being plastered drunk.
    I suppose he did do that skit about Michael D having an affair with his driver though, so maybe he just has licence to make up what he likes.

The stuff about the Guards and "All Ireland Hide and Seek Champion" Shane Ross is excellent too. I'm really enjoying it this year whereas other years I was non plussed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Does he write all his own material or is there a team behind it?

VEry hard to write 20 mins of new material every week.

Haha I'd say she really does, she certainly didn't afford him a warm reception when he was last on. He's been on the Sunday show as a political commentator too and he was actually excellent, I was really surprised.
    Does Callen do the voiceover for Marian's sponsor?
    It sounds like him. I'd have to listen back, but I think it's for a car manufacturer?

Marian's been around a long time, I'd say she has a thick skin.

I don't think Callan is implying that she's an alcoholic, more that she has a very leisurely life and enjoys it, a bit like Dobbo and his bottle of Chateuneuf du Pape.

On a side note, I happened to meet Marian's son recently. As sound a guy as you could meet, the polar opposite of the likes of Lottie Ryan, lovely guy who is is passionate about horses (and we're talking more piebalds in Ballinasloe than the Curragh), and has negative interest in the pretentious media bubble. If he's any reflection of Marian, I'd say she's sound as a pound too.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,026 ✭✭✭✭neris

Does Callen do the voiceover for Marian's sponsor? It sounds like him. I'd have to listen back, but I think it's for a car manufacturer?

think its the sunday business post he does the voice overfor. think he also does an for sunday indo and aldi

• Registered Users Posts: 15,918 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

[QUOTE=_Whimsical_;103163677
    I suppose he did do that skit about Michael D having an affair with his driver though, so maybe he just has licence to make up what he likes.
    [/QUOTE]

Do he still do that routine? I'd love to have a compilation of those sketches: Michael D and Kevin playing hide and seek in the Aras - "I won't be in the closet, you certainly won't find me in there...I'm used to squeezing myself into tight holes.":D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭serfboard

He's been on the Sunday show as a political commentator too and he was actually excellent, I was really surprised.
    I wouldn't be surprised at all. The reason I listen to the show, is not simply for the mimicry - but for his take on the currrent political situation.

I particularly enjoy his pointing out the complete hypocrisy of someone like Michael Healy-Rae - who complained about distressed property auctions, and then turned around and bought property at a subsequent one, who pretends to speak like the "ordinary people" but who is simply a greedy bastard - Ireland's Donald Trump, with his "flat-cap" branding and all.

• Advertisement

That Tommy Gorman sketch was funny...Gerry Adams crouched down behind Michelle O'Neill :D

Advertisement