Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Breakfast Republic on 2fm thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭dr Golden

I wonder why the 7am start ? Surely it puts them at a disadvantage starting an hour later than the Dublin breakfast shows ?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭westmidlands

Does this 7am start mean Damian Farrelly is staying on early breakfast?

Best of luck to them by the way! This has been one positive step in the new 2fm schedule I think.

Does this 7am start mean Damian Farrelly is staying on early breakfast?
    Don't think so, He said a few weeks ago that it was his final early breakfast after 3 and a half years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

I know the name is related to the TV show...though isn't its name eliminating those in the six counties??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

Surely Jennifer Maguire can't be as annoying on radio as she is on tv?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭Expunge

I know the name is related to the TV show...though isn't its name eliminating those in the six counties??

Those living under the the jackboot of British tyranny in the failed statelet of the 'wee six' won't be bothering with freestate muck like this. What with Chris Evans, Today on R4, BBC R1 and many many more choices, thet'll be fine and will hardly notice the snub.

Lots of negative feedback about this on the 2fm Facebook page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭ Kenya Uneven Text

dr Golden wrote: »
    Lots of negative feedback about this on the 2fm Facebook page.

No acsess too it. What they saying?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

I think some of the deletion faeries have taken a stop by the Facebook page. Anything left has comments like "#bringbackwill" and calling this a "disgrace", "losing a listener", etc

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

They should count themselves lucky that they won't be associated with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,032 ✭✭✭✭neris

wonder how many months this new show will last or will it last?

Seems to be zero promotion for this show, I was expecting a big tv advertising campaign this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭thesaurus2

The fact that Bernard O'Shea has been on telly a lot lately being "hilarious" is probably enough advertising for this turkey in waiting. I'll give Maguire 6 months, and the show will stumble on for a year or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭greengirl31

I tuned in out of curiosity this morning … Good God – talk about Car crash Radio !! In fairness, Keith seemed to know what he was doing (Didn’t he come from another station) but the other two !!! They sounded desperate. And Jen’s Da doing the telly – my poor ears!!! … and the poor man. But, they don’t have any radio experience so I’m not that surprised !!!

I’m all for bring in new “talent” (and I use that word in the broadest 2FM sense) but start them on a weekend slot and don’t throw them in at the deep end on a prime time slot like breakfast time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

ThisRegard wrote: »

A little early and a little unfair to be judging it based on one show, to be honest. Like any show, it'll need 6 months (at the very least) to bed in and settle. To hell with negativity... I thought it was a promising start - with much improvement and tightening up needed, of course.

Also:
    Naughty words? In 2013? Ooh, radical stuff.

Point taken Darragh... but it's 2014.

Aside, one thing I think would help 2FM is a better automation system (RCS or Myriad jump to mind) and a general clean-up/tightening of their imaging/beds/etc. Presenters/show content aside, commercial stations have them well beaten when it comes to the general sound of the station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Bard wrote: »
    A little early and a little unfair to be judging it based on one show,

I know, I sorta implied it with 'already'.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

A bit harsh considering the show is one day old but he does hit on some good points, Bernard O'Shea's comedic vaule and facial expressions very never going to transferred to radio.

It's like they looked at the Republic of Telly and went, yea that'll do for a radio show, with no real idea how it's viably meant to work.

I can see this show being tweaked several times over the coming months and it will be a long way off what was aired this morning for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I know, I sorta implied it with 'already'.

I know, I was sorta having a go at the reviewer.. not you ;)

• Site Banned Posts: 21 Mex Mick

The reviewer was being kind ! It's a steaming pile of dung ! Was not a fan of Hector and his bogger-centric ways but jaysus this was infinitely worse. Words can't describe how weak and forced they are ! Dreadful dreadful stuff....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭HooohRaaah

Listened to an hour or so this morning. Absolutely dreadful. It sounded like a 1st year college radio project.

HooohRaaah wrote: »
    Listened to an hour or so this morning. Absolutely dreadful. It sounded like a 1st year college radio project.

Again you're being kind ! Can't understand how a national radio station thinks this show will work

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I tuned in out of curiosity this morning … Good God – talk about Car crash Radio !! In fairness, Keith seemed to know what he was doing (Didn’t he come from another station) but the other two !!! They sounded desperate. And Jen’s Da doing the telly – my poor ears!!! … and the poor man. But, they don’t have any radio experience so I’m not that surprised !!!

I’m all for bring in new “talent” (and I use that word in the broadest 2FM sense) but start them on a weekend slot and don’t throw them in at the deep end on a prime time slot like breakfast time.

Keith Walsh came from Phantom FM, and back 10 years ago he was with Spin103. In between the two stations, Keith co-hosted breakfast on i105-107 (iRadio) with none other than Bernard O'Shea. So Bernard does have some radio experience.

I tuned in for a bit myself this morning out of curiosity. I would agree that Keith seemed to be in control. I'm not really a great fan of people doing inane chatter in the morning, but I think it's too early to be slating a show on its first outing. They may grow into it. Keith, in particular, sounded self-assured.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Tuned in for a few minutes this morning. They were reading out mean tweets that people had posted about them all individually, and the show. It was incredibly cringeworthy :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭Radio5

Listened this morning and Keith is the only one who sounds like he has a clue what he's doing.

The rest of it may as well be just chatting amongst themselves about how funny/clever/witty/interesting they are. Sort of what a Ray D'arcy Breakfast show would sound like.

I thought it was a huge improvement on Hector and his dreadful soldiers of the dawn, what class of dog is she garbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭greengirl31

Keith Walsh came from Phantom FM, and back 10 years ago he was with Spin103. In between the two stations, Keith co-hosted breakfast on i105-107 (iRadio) with none other than Bernard O'Shea. So Bernard does have some radio experience.

I didn't realise Bernard O'Shea was on the radio before .... In that case i'd have expected an awful lot more from this morning. I know it'll take a while for them to find their feet but the started at a very low base !!

I don't watch the Republic of Telly regularly but it seemed alright - but not the kind of thing that translates well to Radio. I'm all for having more women on the radio but I don't think Jen did well this morning ... Like she was trying too hard - does she do any of the writing for RoT ??

I'd love to say i'd bale over to Today FM but I think Ian Dempsey would struggle without Mario ... Ian's links don't seem to flow too well and the sport goes on for Way too long !!! Think i'll have to revert back to the iPod for my commute !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Indo article made one good point.....if they were the opposite of what they are i.e. less contrived humour and comedy with a sincere laidback style might go further connect with people. Not sure if manky madness, keith' cock and Jen's lady bits are slots that I want to listen to first thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

I listened to it on the podcast and bland as hell.Why do they need 3 presenters to do a one person job? More over staffing at RTE.Ryan T loved it though, so you must too.......:p

Bring back HECTORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!

• Advertisement

jimmyw wrote: »
    I listened to it on the podcast and bland as hell.Why do they need 3 presenters to do a one person job? More over staffing at RTE.Ryan T loved it though, so you must too.......:p

Bring back HECTORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!

It almost makes Ryan look ok. Almost....

Advertisement