Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Marian Finucane

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

RTE don't give a fcuk, only if the papers started to make an issue of part-time millionair presenters might something happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

mike65 wrote: »
    RTE don't give a fcuk, only if the papers started to make an issue of part-time millionair presenters might something happen.

Won't happen A Mhicheal.

They are all in it together, it's the screw to taxpayer syndrome.

Look at all the goons from the printed media who have earners on the wireless.

No need to name them.

Look at all the goons from the the broadcasting media who have earners on the papers.

:D

penny dropped yet folks:D:D:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

Won't happen A Mhicheal.

They are all in it together, it's the screw to taxpayer syndrome.

Look at all the goons from the printed media who have earners on the wireless.

No need to name them.

Look at all the goons from the the broadcasting media who have earners on the papers.

:D

penny dropped yet folks:D:D:D

Indeed you have it there Fhlutter.

Class o golden circle in my opinion.fcukin cnunts back scratchin and bell suckin...what chaaaance has independant opinion ?

Well observed Fulton.

Hard to to think here are gimps in the country who haven't cottoned on to those liggers isn't it.

Surely they don't think they are on OUR side?:eek:

Dear oh dear, is it any wonder we are where we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bob50

Just to update my little chart from the other thread.. Charlie has said he will be there next week as well so that makes it three out of thirteen weeks that Marian has presented "The 'Marian Finucane' Show".

Great Post Maybe the show should be called " not the marian finnacuane show"

TBH i cant stand her voice with her eh, er, ahh, and so on trying to string a sentence together

• Advertisement

You are right chaps, sorry 'bout that. Dunno what I was thinking....:o

You are right chaps, sorry 'bout that. Dunno what I was thinking....:o

No worries Meehawl, we'll put it down to a 'bad baggie'.

Good man.

Marian Funicane Show without Marian Finucane continues apace, Charlie sounds like he is thoroughly in the swing of things this morning. The Turbine editor whistling past the grave yard as I type.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Marian Funicane Show without Marian Finucane continues apace.

Ah come on Mike I had it on my chart last week that Charlie would be there in place of Marian.. I assumed everybody would print it out and stick it on their wall... :)

The show this year has already been presented by John Murray, Rachael English and Charlie Bird very capably. In light of Claire Duignan saying (interview on the other thread) that when contracts are up for renewal, RTE "will not be negotiating the kind of fees that were negotiated a number of years ago", I dont see how they can renew Marian's contact at all.

And whoever negotiated the present deal with her, a deal which is such poor value (for taxpayers who fund RTE, and advertisers who are advertising on her show), well they should never be allowed to negotiate ANYTHING ever again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

I think Marion is ruing the day she did that Irish Times interview. Head of RTE radio, Claire Duignan...

"....would not comment on an interview in this newspaper recently in which Marian Finucane defended her salary of more than 500,000 euro for a four hours broadcasting week, nor Finucane's absence from the airwaves since the end of June"

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0821/1224277316832.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

You would think with all the fuss, she would get her ass back into RTE and start broadcaasting again to justify her salary.
    Every show she misses is more rope for RTE to hang her.

Charlie Bird seems to be getting very comfortable in the seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

How can Marian question our politicins, bankers etc over their salaries, bonuses and expenses etc when she is pocketing so much for so little?

Also, that 2 hour slot must be the most expensive on radio. Not only do RTE have to pay her €500k salary they also have to pay Charlie or whoever takes her slot for almost 3 months as well!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Jaysus, Charlie just said he'd be back again next weekend! This is a farce!

The "Marian Finucane" Show
    22nd/23rd May - Rachael English
    29th/30th May - Rachael English
    5th/6th June - Marian Finucane
    12th/13th June - Marian Finucane
    26th/27th June - Marian Finucane

3rd/4th July - Rachael English
    10th/11th July - Rachael English
    17th/18th July - Rachael English
    24th/25th July - Rachael English
    31st July / 1st August - Rachael English
    7th/8th August - Rachael English
    14th/15th August - Charlie Bird
    21st/22nd August - Charlie Bird
    28th/29th August - Charlie Bird

And in case anybody asks again, no I havent complained to RTE and yes I was too busy "drawing up charts", and I've put it in chronological order ascending.. ;)

Cheers, when I heard Charlie say he'd be back I went all Victor Meldrew! It'll be September Marian, get off the beach!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

I'm doubt she is near a beach to be honest, probably pottering around the Dordogne or Tuscany being all enlightened (and sampling the local produce)

I'm doubt she is near a beach to be honest, probably pottering around the Dordogne or Tuscany being all enlightened

I think you are being unfair Mike, she said that she listens to Radio One all week as preparation for her show, so this restricts her movement. I hope she is compensated for this.

Internet wireless radio!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭robo

Why don't Radio 1 just rename the show. To something like the Weekend Digest and have a range of different presenters on. I don't think that the programme warrants having her name on the title.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Jaysus.

Seriously... they *should* rename the show the "Weekend Digest" (as robo suggested) or "Looking back with Person X" or "[INSERT CREATIVE/WITTY NAME HERE] with Person Y" or something WITHOUT a presenters name in it. Seems to me like Marion doesn't deserve to have her name on the show.

Being present for only three out of fourteen weeks for the show that has your own name on it is a scutterin' disgrace. Y'know... unless you've got medical reasons or something...

Bard wrote: »
    Jaysus.

Seriously... they *should* rename the show the "Weekend Digest" (as robo suggested) or "Looking back with Person X" or "[INSERT CREATIVE/WITTY NAME HERE] with Person Y" or something WITHOUT a presenters name in it. Seems to me like Marion doesn't deserve to have her name on the show.

Being present for only three out of fourteen weeks for the show that has your own name on it is a scutterin' disgrace. Y'know... unless you've got medical reasons or something...
    I suggested it in the post above yours ;) Just anything but the Marian Finucane Show, cos she is never there!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

robo wrote: »
    Why don't Radio 1 just rename the show. To something like the Weekend Digest and have a range of different presenters on. I don't think that the programme warrants having her name on the title.

How about "The Marian Finucane Show Presented By Whatever Overpaid Underperforming Dosser We Have Wandering Around The Building When Rachel English Is Busy"

Has a nice ring, doncha think?
    :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Pat Kenny was back this morning, Tubs already back .... where is Marian??????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Koloman

Callan57 wrote: »
    where is Marian??????

When I got into my car yesterday morning and put on the radio I thought I heard her coughing and spluttering but quickly realised it was my exhaust that had just blown up! tongue.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bob50

Just thinking Guys Maybe shes not coming back Marian might be too busy in Dordogne or Tuscanny......... Hopefully anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Lenny Lovett

Here's an interesting view on the current 'stars' pay from BBC DG Mark Thompson. It'll never catch on here though.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1306851/Its-pay-cuts-sack-says-BBC-boss--millionaire-stars-warned-Youre-replaceable.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kalimah

Funnily enough I heard the program this morning announced as Saturday with Charlie Bird. I wonder will Marian ber back at all??!!

Not sure he said exactly that.. I thought he just said welcome to "the show"... "this is Charlie Bird" without making any assertion as to whether he was renaming the show or not.

• Advertisement

Kalimah wrote: »
    Funnily enough I heard the program this morning announced as Saturday with Charlie Bird. I wonder will Marian ber back at all??!!

Heard that too, but it was the announcer before the news who said this or after and then Charlie said welcome to the show...
    The only mention of Marion was the jingle after the news which had the sponsors of the show and the mention of Marion in the jingle! There is a piece in the Independent Weekender Magazine about the RTE salaries and number of weeks holidays that the stars are taking, it has herself at 9 weeks now! Can't seem to find a link to it on the site, maybe that is cos it is in the Weekender magazine.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement