Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New to DJing or production? Need help or advice? Post here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭franklyshocked

Will wrote: »
    Just popping in to say hello, only at this about 4 months.
    Do warm up DJ'ing, loving it even if the places are relatively empty when i play :)

Thats how you learn mate so best of luck. Its bloody great crack playing to a packed house, which will happen eventually if you keep it up.
    Even the greats started off playing warm-up in empty venues at some stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Ah yeah definetly, once the main guys come on i go into light jock mode.

Love watching the guys work, and the creativity when mixing is impressive. Shame the average punter doesn't realise or appreciate it :( When they do get it, it's smiles all around

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Hagakure_irl

Right lads need a bit of help deciding on what mixer to go for. I've been using Behringer DX626 for about a year and I feel like i've past it.

I'm looking at the DDM 4000. I'm more towards electro and hip hop, with a heavy amount of scratching...and just simply recording my own scratch tracks. My budget is about 450-500, I've also been looking at the DJM 400. Basically I'm just not sure what to do with, I'd love some effects and being able to sample on the DJM 400 is awesome, but again I'm mainly doing scratching!

So any advice is much appreciated! Or even a mixer that you guys would reccommend in that price range as well. I can't really go over 500 cause I'm getting Traktor Scratch Pro as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Niceone012002

Hi all, I am new here, and I need help. I am looking for Philips EFP A1/231 12V 100W Bulbs. They are for my lights which are a pair of Magic Gobos. See here. http://www.prosound-dj.com/magic-gobo-pack-p-1112.html

Is there anywhere in Ireland I can buy bulbs for these?

Please help...and thanks in advance.smile.gif
    user_offline.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Hi all, I am new here, and I need help. I am looking for Philips EFP A1/231 12V 100W Bulbs. They are for my lights which are a pair of Magic Gobos. See here. http://www.prosound-dj.com/magic-gobo-pack-p-1112.html

Is there anywhere in Ireland I can buy bulbs for these?

Please help...and thanks in advance.smile.gif
    user_offline.gif

Ring SLC (Stage Lighting Centre - its in Brunswick place IIRC) or Cine-Electric and ask them if they've them in stock or if they can order them. Google for the numbers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Mau5

alrite everyone,

im planning on getting 2cdjs and a decent mixer to start off with.
    havent done any djing at all before, just wondering if i would be ok using a monitor as a speaker? its just for my bedroom probably get something better if i take to it or get any good!

any websites i could check out also would be great

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Maldini2706

Hi guys, just bought the Numark Total Control (as part of the total computer DJ in a box package) I've no experience of DJing at all and I'm just wondering if anyone knows of any decent online tutorials that would teach me the basics. I'm not really looking to do anything professionally, just the odd party playing indie, soul or the odd dance track. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Nationalist

Im considering getting the Behringer BCD 3000 to start of some mixing. Will i need a second sound card in my laptop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Im considering getting the Behringer BCD 3000 to start of some mixing. Will i need a second sound card in my laptop?

No

Your laptop has one already and there's one in the BCD, which is one of its selling points I believe so you'll be able to monitor and mix

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

Hi lads I need some help, I want to use my laptop to dj, and to be safe have cd'd as a back up, this cd player / mixer http://www.thomann.de/ie/numark_cdmix_ii.ht would seem to fit the bill as it acts as a mixer too, there is another version http://www.thomann.de/ie/numark_cdmix_iii.htm which is dearer but plays mp3's , Im not sure first of all can I run my laptop through this mixer and whether I need to opt for the second version which plays mp3's, my intention is to rely on the laptop to play what mp3's I have and then run it thru this cd/mixer. Any ideas folks ?

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

heybaby wrote: »
    Hi lads I need some help, I want to use my laptop to dj, and to be safe have cd'd as a back up, this cd player / mixer http://www.thomann.de/ie/numark_cdmix_ii.ht would seem to fit the bill as it acts as a mixer too, there is another version http://www.thomann.de/ie/numark_cdmix_iii.htm which is dearer but plays mp3's , Im not sure first of all can I run my laptop through this mixer and whether I need to opt for the second version which plays mp3's, my intention is to rely on the laptop to play what mp3's I have and then run it thru this cd/mixer. Any ideas folks ?

cheers

Neither would be of any use IMO, having the cd-mixer combo would mean you cant upgrade individually.
    For the laptop you will need an external soundcard in order to cue up a track in the headphones. You will not need cd's for back up, have you looked into controllers with a soundcard similar to this
    Xponent
    With the xponent all you will need is a usb port in you lpaptop and away you go. Check it out on youtube.

cheers

As a cheap starter pack and to answer your questions, yes that set up will accept the output from a laptop. There are 2 external inputs on those units so you'd need a line to phono lead from the laptop to plug into the back of the mixer.
    As vinyljunkie points out though, there are no options on this sort of a rig to upgrade at a later date and also if any part of it goes down you're going to lose the whole thing.
    In the long run its better to get a simple 2 channel mixer and 2 cheap CD decks if you want something to standby if your laptop glitches, which does happen to the best of them at the worst possible time.

Even a simple set up like this:
    http://www.dv247.com/invt/29985/

Would be better than an all in one unit. You could upgrade either the mixer of an individual CD deck without having to buy everything at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭SteveDon

cheers

Yeah man thats no use really considering it doesnt have midi, you would be able to use it as an external mixer but its far from ideal.

What pc program are you planning on using?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

OP here..aaahh!! im confused. Ok I totally see the point of not buying a combined cd/mixer from the point of view of upgrading and if there is a problem. OK so heres the deal Im totally new to this, I would like to use the laptop to play mp3's simply for weddings , private parties, nothing fancy, no clubbing or making my own music or anything that advanced.Also I just want a basic dj software package, that will enable me to beatmatch songs as i go and thats pretty much it, i dont need fancy special effects or looping etc. Im a little overwhelmed by the complexity of the dj software packages Ive looked at. I realise I need a quality soundcard that will hook up to the mixer but which soundcard and which mixer? For a wedding dj, is a controller a necessity? And final question, if i am using seperate cd desks as back up, do i need a mixer with more than 2 channels? please forgive my ignorance !!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Stevieo

Hey guys and gals,

I'm new to this forum and relatively new to DJing itself. I've been using some of my brother's equipment while he's been teaching me what he knows. We're thinking of investing in a beatpad of some description...we've got pretty much the rest of the equipment to mess around with. Has anyone any suggestions? Would be much appreciated...

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I'm a newbie too, but Kork Kaoss/ Koassalator Pads seem to be very well reccomended everywhere I've look. The K3 is the latest afaik. Think its around 150 from thomann.de....no...thats the old one...the K3 is 350 (Free shipping) http://www.thomann.de/ie/korg_kaoss_pad_3.htm Bit pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

OP here..aaahh!! im confused. Ok I totally see the point of not buying a combined cd/mixer from the point of view of upgrading and if there is a problem. OK so heres the deal Im totally new to this, I would like to use the laptop to play mp3's simply for weddings , private parties, nothing fancy, no clubbing or making my own music or anything that advanced.Also I just want a basic dj software package, that will enable me to beatmatch songs as i go and thats pretty much it, i dont need fancy special effects or looping etc. Im a little overwhelmed by the complexity of the dj software packages Ive looked at. I realise I need a quality soundcard that will hook up to the mixer but which soundcard and which mixer? For a wedding dj, is a controller a necessity? And final question, if i am using seperate cd desks as back up, do i need a mixer with more than 2 channels? please forgive my ignorance !!!:)

Technically you can do it all via a mouse and keyboard, but you look like a twat(in the eyes of many) and will be all over the shop, even simply changing the master vol will be a chore. If you already have the laptop thats half the investment really. If you get a basic controller(From 100 up), a decent soundcard(PCI Express cards are smaller, but cost around 200, while USB boxes are cheaper and will give you RCA out, which means true stereo on the PA system, not parallel like the PCI will give) and some kind of intuitive software.

Do you have your own PA or are you gonna be using on site ones. If its a really laid back thing the cheapest stuff will do, but if people are expecting something, then you cant dissapoint. Also, many USB soundboxes have a mic in, you could loop a CD deck through that, though you would loose the true stereo again. Also, dont pull that one in or out during a performance, big load crack if you do.

Really, how much are you willing to fork out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Stevieo

I'm a newbie too, but Kork Kaoss/ Koassalator Pads seem to be very well reccomended everywhere I've look.

I'm finally glad I'm not hearing an AKAI being recommended...nothing against them, I'm just glad for a bit of diversity.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 mango1888

i know this will proper kick up a storm,
    i'm selling decks for upgrade.
    i'm caught between technics and cdj's.
    what'll i do. i dj vinyl only and love it but i'm afraid of being over looked for not havin the newer equiptment for gigs.

advice please my budget is just over a grand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

mango1888 wrote: »
    i know this will proper kick up a storm,
    i'm selling decks for upgrade.
    i'm caught between technics and cdj's.
    what'll i do. i dj vinyl only and love it but i'm afraid of being over looked for not havin the newer equiptment for gigs.

advice please my budget is just over a grand
    serato man,look into it.even if you show up to a gig with it and theres no tts you can still use it with cdjs

cheers. i've looked at pure digital and tried it out and its not for me i reckon especially laptops. the serato vinyl thing is ok but i hate djing with computers at all
    my mate had ableton and comparitevly when you use your own hands to manipulate the song its hard to get the same control with a mouse, well for me anyway

my mate had ableton and comparitevly when you use your own hands to manipulate the song its hard to get the same control with a mouse, well for me anyway

That is what midi controllers are for.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

pioneer cdj mk4 are coming out soon so maybe try and snag a pair of cdj 100 mk2.

theres not alot of difference between them and 3 and i think 4 is only gonna have usb ports on it so again not missing much if your using cds

price?

Well the 1000mk4 will have a usb port similar to the cdj400.

cdj-1000mk4 - 1450e each (approx as its not put yet and might not be out till the end of the year or next year as Pioneer said they are working on the dvj series.

cdj-400 - 739e each (I got mine when they came out first and they where much cheaper 550 or something so shop around)

From http://www.thomann.de
    Also check out adverts.ie

cheers for the help.

so scrap the vinyl yeah?

cheers for the help.

so scrap the vinyl yeah?

Up to you its personal preference really, are you sure about not wanting a laptop? It is the way the industry is going IMO + you can be much more creative with a laptop!

to be honest right, whenever i go out its not about how the dj mashes or splices up the music. cause its the last thing on me mind when i'm out.
    Even though i know when it happens compared to a typical punter on the lash.
    the most important thing for me is crowd control and makin people dance not being some riton digital extrodinaire. its more for me anyway the record you play and a bit on how you play it. i suppose its why i spin alot of classic house amd anthems.

just the cdj's thing is just for ease when i'm doin a gig,
    my head says cds my heart says vinyl

• Advertisement

If your playing in a club they will have the equipment set up already and 99 times out of 100 they will have cdj's or cdj's and technics.

Advertisement