Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Worst/Best Radio Ads

Options
  • 23-12-2005 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭

It has previously been done in the TV forum. What is your favourite or least favourite radio ad? I hate all those ones that say, "It's almost six O'clock time to call ..." most of those places are closed at 6. Add to that Harvey Norman ads with particular mention for the happy birthday ones. I like the Roca Tiles ads that are on around the Vincent Browne show.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Harvey Norman ads rule! Speaking of insistant Aussies, that campaign for some brand of Oz wine is really starting to annoy. All ads that end with the sound of two women giggling are bad ones. Oh that ad for Paddy Power (?) (strip poker with Gran) is the pits.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

Oh, Newstalk106 in Dublin seem to play really awful ads. They did one that was especially terrible, it was for some financial services company (who buy equity in homes that belong to over 60's or something). They played it to death a few weeks ago, so much so that they played it 4 times in one hour!

I've never hated the phrase "Cash free lump sum" so much!

Also, the Wireman ads from earlier on in the year deserve a special mention.

"When they see us walking down the street they know for certain that before the day is out we'll have the craic!"
    WTF? :confused:

Also, any ad that features "audience members" talking about the film they just saw, and how great it was. These ads don't work on TV, why should they be more effective on the radio?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭radioman

In general any ad where the people have obviously put on accents, or that have people who are extremely bad actors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭SoBe

the eircom phone watch adds that try and convince you your house WILL be broken into if you dont get one....grrrr drives me nuts

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

Worst ads

Those that tell us to wash our hands, safe food. The one where the bint says "Directions to the local hospital, You have just handled the raw meat then cooked meat and didn't wash your hands" Now if she added you had your hand up your arse and then you handled the meat, it would be funny.

The Laser Card ad where yet another bint says "As I handed my card over at the checkout I smiled knowing I had all the ingrediants for the cake" FFS Stupidity reigns on the airwaves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

The best ad on radio ever has to be the Barry’s Tea ‘Turn the moment gold’ Christmas add.
    The one with the father buying the train set.
    Kid: ‘You’ll never guess what Santa brought…’
    Father: ‘Well doesn’t that beat Bannagher, isn’t Santa the smart fellow…’
    No fake accents, no pretentious statements, just a great little story.
    Pity it’s only on at Christmas time.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Worst is Ben Dunne advertising his fitness clubs. Brutal. Good advertising nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

fli wrote:
    the eircom phone watch adds that try and convince you your house WILL be broken into if you dont get one....grrrr drives me nuts

Forgot about that one. It's plain wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Font22

that ad for the euro cycles sale with the really high pitched voices with helium, drives me insane when i hear it....

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

The ad for NTL digital where some retard says " Zero Euro who do i make the cheque out to" bloody annoying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

Sunday Business Post ads really get up my nose for some reason or other...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Pharmaton ads..... Do they go out of their way to get some dude/bint with a grating NornIron accent

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Pingpong

Tallaght Ford and that crappy song they have, drives me mad, I just hit the Button.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

Any add with women putting down their men really pisses me off. Like that one at the minute about refilling print cartridges. FFS. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Really like the ad for lucozade at the moment where the Zombie rings up the station looking for a 'pick-me-up' for the undead.

But the best radio ad ever is the one for DID electrical when the German comes in asking what time they close at. 'Nine' in a strong dub accent sounds so like 'Nein.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭MarinoMark

I love the Betfred.com ad that newstalk play "When I get to the office i will have 3 voicemail messages and ends with "Go on ya good thing"..Classic !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

Font22 wrote:
    that ad for the euro cycles sale with the really high pitched voices with helium, drives me insane when i hear it....

Most irritating ad ever! "sale sale sale sale sale" blah blah blah blah blah, die die die die die....

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭mjquinno

for some reason that supermacs ad about the hungry vikings coming tto ireland it drives me nuts i have to change the radio station its that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭elurhs

So many bad ads, so little time.

Amen on the eircom phonewatch ads, bloody scaremongering.
    Supermacs - oh my God, how could anyone think that was a good idea. I hope they didn't pay some ad agency to come up with it - it smells like an in-house idea.
    Any ads advertising digital TV. Sky, NTL, Chorus, I don't care!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

dont listen to radio much , but when i did - that "euro cycles , euro baby , euro cycles , euro baby" in the chipmunk voice , with the long siiigh at the end made me want to tear my radio out and drive over it repeatedly.

that add actually put me off radio altogether

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

GE Money: "You talking to me?"

Eircom Phonewatch: "Oh nooo....we've been burgled"

NTLs free connection: "Zeeeero euro... now who do I make the cheque out to?"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

All radio adverts are dislikeable, its usually one or two gimps talking inanely about some product.

I particularly dislike the "Zafira club actually", Eircon phonewatch preying on peoples fears, Harvey Norman and Birds Eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Radio adverts are very poor... so little creative.

For me, the worst are those for new films where they interview people who apparently just saw it and give the usual "best film I've ever seen"... "great for all the family"... "deadly film".
    All usually a sign of a film that's rubbish and has been ripped to shreads in reviews, so they slip a few tenners to the person in front of the mic.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Now that Christmas is over, we don't have to listen to the idiocy of the Square, Tallaght ads for another 10 months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

BEST AD EVER, only on Limericks Live 95fm unfortuatley... Fab Floors "where you get laid, not screwed"
    LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

That f***in Supermacs add with yer man going on about 'Hungry Vikings'... AARGH!!! :mad: Everytime I hear it I want to inflict damage on the guy that does it, he has to have the most annoying voice ever!

The GE Money add for the loan is actually pretty OK, so are the Harvey Norman adds as long as Bruce does them (the aussie guy).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Those eircom phonewatch ads do my head in, there is not a season or occasion throughout the year which is'nt infested by the threat of (cue low voice) burgulars!!!! Its pure scare tactics so your granny spends a fortune on proping up a crappy company.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

silas wrote:
    That f***in Supermacs add with yer man going on about 'Hungry Vikings'... AARGH!!! :mad: Everytime I hear it I want to inflict damage on the guy that does it, he has to have the most annoying voice ever!

isn't that the guy from langerland? it's a bit annoying on the ad, I agree. I also hate that cuisine de france ad "..Kinda crunchy and soft??!"
    makes me punch the steering wheel everytime I hear it.
    The thing that kills me tho, is that the people who made the crappy ads have succeeded - we can't get them out of our heads, and we know all the details!
    but I swear, I'll never eat a cuisine de france product ever again. Whos with me??!?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭shortlegs

Most annoying voice on ads is "my home.ie" from that "Bachelor Walk" bugger.
    Other annoying ads are : Irish Psychics Live..."Love, Money, success, Happiness..." Christ I used to know it by heart it was on so often

That b*tch in theTV license ad on about her friend leaving "by the side-door to avoid the paparazzi He He He He He He He He He"

Best ad was the two young "auld fellas" promoting Opel Zafira"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭zippo22

Rocha Tiles Tuam Road Galway. Moronic crap from somebody imitating Terry Wogan's voice. Has completely ruined the Vincent Browne show on RTE Radio One at night. I'm going to have the bathroom tiled in the spring but those ads. have done my head in so much that I don't care where I get the tiles from so long as it's not from that crowd. :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement