Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Favourite Irish DJ

• 18-05-2006 4:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭

This should generate some interest,over the years ive liked a lot of Irish DJ's there is some real talent out there and some of them should've made it big but didn't cos Ireland is a smaller country compared to the UK or Germany,anyway probably the most underated and IMO the best is Liam Dollard,i remember him from the glory days of Sides in the early/mid 1990's,to the Temple Of Sound,etc,etc,etc and he has always been top notch,and i love his style of House Music as well.

There are obviously many more quality Irish DJ's out there like Mick Walsh,Johnny Moy,Francois,Warren Kiernan,David Holmes (although he lost the plot a few years ago making mad music for film soundtracks)Paddy Sheridan,Mark Kavanagh,Billy Scurry,Col Hamilton, etc,who's your fav then?;)

ps-not forgetting the langers,quality dj's Greg Dowling and Shane Johnson

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭DUB1

yea m8 liam dollard brillant seen him a couple of wks ago & he was exelent but my fav wud b warrne k had so many gr8 nites in da asylum wit him & even in da kithchen on a tue nite,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

DUB1 wrote:
    yea m8 liam dollard brillant seen him a couple of wks ago & he was exelent but my fav wud b warrne k had so many gr8 nites in da asylum wit him & even in da kithchen on a tue nite,

Kitchen on a Tuesday nite GENIUS wasn't it :D f*ck me i went almost every Tuesday for over a year,madness,needless to say i didn't hold down a proper job in those days:o :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

SiSi (110th Street) definitely spring to mind... don't think i've ever had a bad night out when those lads are playing. they outshine big name guests most of the time.
    Jon Averil is definitely someone i'd like to see again
    and i <3 Dancepig's style of tunage

props to Mark Kavanagh as well, he pretty much single handedly started off my love affair with Hard House:)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

DJ Tom Payne

he's well overrated:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

larry gogan

jonny68 wrote:
    Kitchen on a Tuesday nite GENIUS wasn't it :D f*ck me i went almost every Tuesday for over a year,madness,needless to say i didn't hold down a proper job in those days:o :D
    lol i know wat u mean da say wit me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭topdog8

you would have to give al gibbs credit he has made some funds from what he is doing

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭holton

Liam Dollard.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

of the older guys probly Francois

newer kids on da block
    Sunil Sharpe
    Joe McGrath
    Travis Bickle (Mark White)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

Jay Carey & Ed Case for me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭CTRob

Liam Dollard and Ed case :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Back in the day: Francois

More recently: Sunil

bit hard to pick ONE, so this is the cream of what i've seen. in NO particular order

Francois
    Phil(th)
    Al Redmond
    Al Gibbs
    Ken Tobin
    Neal Scarborough
    John O'Callaghan
    Bryan Kearney
    Al Keegan
    Ben Carvosso
    Darren Flynn
    Jay Pidgeon
    Warren K
    Sunil Sharpe
    John Berry

Can't pick one because thru the years i've been into so many different genre's.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Wow, noone has mentioned Robbie Butler yet! :D :eek: :confused:

...I'll get my coat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭manufan

Mick Walsh didn't have the best reputation when it came to mixing but he wasn't bad either but when it came to sets he has to be up there.

I remember friday nights in the Harp, (Subzero). Mick was always on form.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

Fish Go Deep (never seen them but their sets that I've heard are quality)

Rob Hawk (this guy & the no longer running 12ten night in general inadvertently got my into house music good and proper!)

Al Keegan (after the first night of Acii Disco Al Keegan's name can officially be found in the dictionary under the word "wreckage") :D

Simon F (always a good man for the party breaks and old skoooool.....)

Skkatter (he's always been technically good I really enjoyed his set in Acii Disco a while ago in terms of the tunes he was playing. He's starting to branch out a bit style-wise which is a good thing)

Arveene (saw him wreck the gaff a few weeks ago in the Sunday canerfest aka Mixed Salad in McGruders)

Giles wrote:
    Arveene (saw him wreck the gaff a few weeks ago in the Sunday canerfest aka Mixed Salad in McGruders)

:D sundays rock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

manufan wrote:
    Mick Walsh didn't have the best reputation when it came to mixing but he wasn't bad either but when it came to sets he has to be up there.

I remember friday nights in the Harp, (Subzero). Mick was always on form.

I must disagree with you there mate i always thought Mick Walsh's mixing was spot on,i remember his sets from ther glory days of Sides in the early/mid 1990's and always top notch,used to frequent the harp myself sometimes but too many undesirables used to go there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

Sunil Sharpe (great dj, not mad on his productions so far tho...)

Eddie Brennan (class with his minimal but loves to bang it out when he gets a chance!),

Donnacha Costello (runs the minimise label a division of kompakt, prob the most underrated artist here, hes huge in Germany)

Sian (great producer)

and prob a few more i cant think of....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Greg & Shane / Fish Go Deep and Stevie G....guess where i'm from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭manufan

I think Mick Walshe's mixes were grand to be honest. He only lives around the corner from me so i've grown up listening to his mixtapes and his NR:Gex Tapes. I've always thought that his mixing was decent but mates of mine weren't always impressed.

To be honest he was probably the biggest known DJ in Dublin during the sides, Ormond Period and you don't get that well known if you haven't got the whole package (mixing/good tunes).

I always enjoyed heading up to PA's in Dundalk aswell. Another good night where Walshe always rocked the place.

Johnny mate, i'm surprised about what you said about the Harp on Friday nights. I never had a problem with anyone. Everyone was pilled up and just enjoying the music as far as i can remember. Mind you, i went one saturday night and nearly got jumped on by 3 blokes for asking one of their girlfriends for the time. Never went to the Harp on a Saturday after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭senan s

micky mac

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭holton

senan s wrote:
    micky mac

Saturday nights on 2FM are not the same without him. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭PRman

Mark Kavanagh was brilliant in his day. Anyone remember the 4th Dimension? Mad bast*rds!!

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭senan s

holton wrote:
    Saturday nights on 2FM are not the same without him. :D

"close the curtains, move over the sofa, turn up the bass, havin it large"

jonny68 wrote:
    I must disagree with you there mate i always thought Mick Walsh's mixing was spot on,i remember his sets from ther glory days of Sides in the early/mid 1990's and always top notch,used to frequent the harp myself sometimes but too many undesirables used to go there.

cum on m8 mick was always gud live but his mix tapes ffs esp his gravity mixes
    bringing tunes in all at da wrong time sure he was always out of it doing them i lik micks style of music always did esp da stuff hes making now pure banging i do
    go up 2 him & buy tunes & i buzz off him bout them mixes he dosn't giv a rats hes not in2 playing da decks anymore he just wants 2 make da tunes now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭smokes

mick walsh always had good tunes but his mixing wasnt the best,the beats always matched but the timing was all over the place

senan s wrote:
    "close the curtains, move over the sofa, turn up the bass, havin it large"
    "going out to all the ladies having it large in the shower":p
    as cheesy as his catchphrases were, he was definitely a major influence for me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Ian_B

I used to go to Sides, the Harp, Grouchos, Temple of Sound, The Kitchen and the Ormonde too. Sides was my favourite club though because of the music and the atmosphere there. I think Mick Walsh is a class DJ and I disagree with people who don't like his mixing style. I've always liked it alot anyway. I still listen to his tapes quite often especially whren I'm drivin even though I've had them around ten years. I've a few of his tapes Mp3'd and I'm lookin to swap for others. I've got Gravity 6 (my favourite one), Gravity 9, Earthrunner, Voyeurism, House Hallucinates, Spice Planet and Espionage. I also have a Pressure mix from the asylum, a couple of Edcase mixes and one Warren K. Most but not all these recordings sound the best (a few were taped from a friend who taped from a friend who etc.) but you can make them sound alot better with Winamp and a dsp plugin like Dee2 or izotope Ozone...If anyone has any similar old Mick Walsh, Pressure, Edcase, Warren K or Billy Scurry tapes Mp3'd and would like to swap, please contact me at ibrien@hotmail.com. Cheers!

Advertisement