Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mustard Recipes

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭ollyk1

1/2 cup non-fat yogurt
    1 tablespoon Honey Dijon Mustard
    1 tablespoon minced green onion
    1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
    1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger (or 1 teaspoon ground ginger)
    1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    Combine all ingredients and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Serve with snow peas, carrot sticks or fresh vegetables of your choice. Serves 8.

INGREDIENTS:
    1/4 cup yellow mustard seed
    2 Tbsp. black or brown mustard seed, heaping
    1/4 cup dry mustard powder
    1/2 cup water
    1 1/2 cups cider vinegar
    1 small onion chopped
    2 Tbsp. firmly packed brown sugar
    1 tsp. salt
    2 garlic gloves, minced or pressed
    1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
    1/4 tsp. ground allspice
    1/4 tsp. dried tarragon leaves
    1/8 tsp. turmeric
    PREPARATION:
    In a small bowl, combine mustard seed and dry mustard. In a 1- to 2-quart stainless steel or nonreactive saucepan, combine remaining ingredients. Simmer, uncovered, on medium heat until reduced by half, 10-15 minutes.

Pour the mixture into the mustard mixture. Let mixture stand, covered, at room temperature for 24 hours, adding additional vinegar if necessary in order to maintain enough liquid to cover seeds. Process the seeds and mixture in a blender or food processor until pureed to the texture you like --this can take at least 3 or 4 minutes. Some prefer whole seeds remaining, others a smooth paste. The mixture will continue to thicken. If it gets too thick after a few days, stir in additional vinegar. Scrape mustard into clean, dry jars; cover tightly and age at least 3 days in the refrigerator before using.
    Makes about 1 1/2 -2 cups.

1 (4 pound) corned beef brisket
    2 medium onions, sliced
    1 medium onion, studded with 3 whole cloves
    1 large carrot, scraped and sliced
    1 bunch fresh parsley
    1 bay leaf
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    2 pounds small new potatoes, peeled
    1 (2 pounds) cabbage, cut into wedges
    Irish Mustard Sauce

Irish Mustard Sauce
    1 tablespoon cornstarch
    2 teaspoon sugar
    1 teaspoon dry mustard
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 cup water
    1 tablespoon butter
    1/4 cup cider vinegar
    1 teaspoon grated horseradish
    2 egg yolks, beaten

In a large Dutch oven combine the corned beef and enough water to cover; bring to a boil. Remove from heat. Drain. Add fresh water to cover. Add the onion, carrot, parsley, bay leaf, and pepper. Bring to a boil. Skim off foam, if necessary. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer 4 hours or until tender. Remove the onion and parsley. Add the potatoes to Dutch oven. Simmer for 10 minutes.

Add the cabbage wedges, and simmer 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove and discard bay leaf. Transfer the corned beef and vegetables to a serving platter. Serve with Irish Mustard Sauce.

Serves: 6 to 8.

To prepare Mustard Sauce: In a 1-quart saucepan combine the cornstarch, sugar, mustard and salt. Mix well. Add water; stir over low heat until mixture thickens and boils. Remove from heat; add the butter, vinegar and horseradish.

Beat a little of hot mixture into egg yolks; then add yolk mixture back to pan.

Cook slowly, stirring until sauce thickens slightly. Serve with corned beef.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭nonamemark

peadair 11 wrote:
    Mash a load of spuds

Add S&P to taste and some Wholegrain Mustard and some fresh chives

try it with glazed ham !!!!!

i was going to put this up, its savage! make sure to use wholegrain mustard though! and dont forget to mash up the butter!

my friend wont try this for some reason. he did one day, but all he did was put a bit of the smooth ****e on cold potato, ughhhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Okay I got a great recipe from Channel4 Food that I thought I'd share with you. I've had it once a week for three weeks now.

It's basiclaly a tuna-pasta bake with mustard (Coleman's English) added to a cheese sauce and it tastes great.

Recipe here

This is enough to serve four (or two people for two nights!) if you are having some salad with it and you can substitute the peas and sweetcorn for pretty much any other veg.

Delicious...mine has ten more minutes in the oven before it's ready :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

This is so easy-
    Centre Loin/Chump Chops (i.e. any lamb chops you would normally grill or fry)

Mix your favourite mustard (smooth mustard is best for this- especially flavoured mustards like paprika mustard), with a good dose of freshly roasted and ground cumin seeds (the pre-ground glass jars are fine!) , and freshly ground black pepper(the only black pepper to use!! Can we start a thread on black pepper???)

Coat the chops liberally (without caking them) in the marinade and leave in fridge covered for 3/4 hours (if this is not possible, don't worry, just coat the chops before grilling/frying)

Grill/fry to your liking, sprinkling a small bit of balsamic vinegar towards the end of cooking (not essential but does give an added dimmention to the whole dish)

Serve with favourite mustard on the side and boiled/roasted potatoes and peas blitzed in blender with fresh cream and mint

That's it !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I had a sunday roast style dinner last weekend, and the mashed potatoes had a dollop of wholegrain mustard mixed in. It was a delicious twist to the meal, I think everyone should try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Not sure if this recipe has been posted before.

You can use your favourite mustards for this.

Pork & mustard casserole.

Ingredients.

One pork steak or 5 pork chops cut into small cubes (cut off excess fat).
    Approx. 4 tablespoons plain flour seasoned with a couple of pinches of salt, pepper (season to your preffered taste) and a teaspoon of mustard powder and 2 teaspoons of light or dark brown sugar.
    240ml single cream
    1/2 pint chicken stock
    1 pint good quality apple juice
    2 heaped tablespoons of your favourite wholegrain mustard

Chop pork into small cubes, roll the pork in the seasoned flour.
    Brown the pork in a good sized saucepan.

Once browned add chicken stock, apple juice and bring to the boil then turn off heat. Stir in wholegrain mustard.

Pour the whole lot into a casserole dish.

Cook in the oven 180 fan oven for 40 minutes.
    Then take out the dish and stir in the single cream and cook for another 10 minutes until bubbling nicely.

Take out of the oven and serve nice and hot with some nice mashed spuds and some shredded cabbage.

Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

I tend to use Dijon mustard in marinades, mixed with garlic or lemon, orange or honey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 cantenaccio

i think that's the thing he mentioned

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 raptor twin

Get a cake tin put in 5 greenish bananas, 4 heaped tea spoons of Strong Mustard cook with Cumin powder 1 tea spoon and 3 tbs of honey, great with Goat or Halibut

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Now this is not a full on recipe but handy for a snack

American Mild Mustard**, Hellmans Garlic Mayonnaise and Heinz Tomato Kethcup all mixed together (use a cup, small glass).

You can experiment with how much of each you may need depending on what you like. Personally I add in good bit of the tomato kethcup and american mild.

Makes the most GORGEOUS sauce.
    Throw it on some toast and add a slice or two of ham and away you go!
    Very addictive!!(well was to me anyway!)

**You can use regular mustard but maybe not as much depends on your taste really.

Don't knock it 'til you try it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭whippetgood

New to Boards and was just like :-O there's a mustard forum? "that must be a pisstake" but I clicked in, saw mustard recipes and now i'm like :-O totes have to try that . Thanks Boards :D Delia Smith uses Mustard Powder in a lot of her recipes I will look one out and share soon

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ciaeim

love this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Just a simple but tasty little one I mixed up today. Colemans mustard, mayonnaise, balsamic vinegar and smoked paprika. Had it with stuffed aubergine, but seemed like it'd make a good all purpose dip for anything savoury. Good stuff.

I cant believe there's a mustard section. Thats cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

I cant believe there's a mustard section. Thats cool.

Actually most of it's Hot ;)

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Gave this a go today..very nice but I added extra mustard :cool:

http://dutchfood.about.com/od/starterssoupssalads/r/Mustardsoup.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭jackie1974

This is absolutely delicious, easy and all in one pot.

Cheesy chops and chips.

4oz of potatoes, peeled and thickly sliced.
    1 onion thinly sliced
    splash of cider, wine or stock
    2 tbsp of olive oil
    4 pork chops
    4oz cheddar cheese, grated
    1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
    3tbsp of milk

Preheat the oven to 230*C (210 if fan oven) gas mark 8

Toss potatoes, onion, liquid and oil together in a large casserole dish, season and bake for 30 minutes

Lay the chops on the potatoes and cook for 15 minutes more.

Mix the cheese, mustard and milk together to form a paste and spread it on the chops and put under the grill for 5-10 minutes until cheese is bubbling and potatoes are golden.

Serve straight from the pan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 SeriousSummer

I'm coming to visit Ireland this summer, so of course the first thing I had to do was check out the mustard scene and I'm relieved to find it so lively.

But I'm taken a bit aback that there isn't a recipe for Guinness Mustard, so I'm going to add the one I use.

Ingredients:

1 pint Guinness
    10 oz. mustard powder (that might be about 250 grams, more or less, if I don't have it wrong) (don't buy Colman's unless you're rich enough to throw dollars away, find an Indian grocery and buy a big bag of mustard powder; it's cheaper and better)
    1 cup cider vinegar
    1.5 Tablespoons sea salt
    .5 Tablespoon black pepper
    .5 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
    .5 teaspoon cloves (optional)
    .5 teaspoon allspice (optional)
    .5 teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
    .5 cup brown sugar (optional)

Mix up the first four ingredients, adding any of the spices and the sugar if you like. The sugar helps tame the heat down, as does the vinegar. If you want your mustard to make your eyes water, you can leave them out. The mustard also mellows over time. I'm down to just a tiny bit in my last batch and it's as smooth now as 12-year old whisky. The recipe makes about a liter, so it'll last quite awhile. Pack up your left over mustard power in a sealed bag and put in the freezer for you next batch in a year or so.

Sorry for the measurements in American, but we're a bit backward about adopting the metric system.

• Advertisement
Advertisement