Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Can people who've seen this advise if it would be suitable for a 6 year old to see?
    Would a 3 year old like this?

I think it might be a bit too advanced – as well as dark/threatening in places – for a 3 or a 6 year old. 10 and up would probably love it though.

I thought it was great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭ceegee

Couple of likely reasons which are a mix of the stylistic and practical. Given the amount of animation styles deployed throughout, it may have made most sense to stick with stylised movement to help anything gel together. Anime and classic cartoons often run at lower frame rates, so could be an effort to embrace that spirit. Also potentially less resource intensive - more frames of movement mean more processing power, which means more time, which means more money.

Whatever the mix of reasons, what’s important is that it looks pretty ****ing great in action with a properly unique, dynamic feel that’s very uncommon in mainstream CG animation.

From watching the Q&A the directors and producers did on Colliders YouTube channel, they wanted to have the lower frame rate to allow more detailed backgrounds and allow you take in more details of each shot. (It's an interesting interview for anyone who enjoyed the film).
    They claim it ended up being more work than doing it 24 fps, as all the software for CG animation was designed only for 24fps.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Question for comics readers:
    Are invisibility and electricity powers from the comics?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Question for comics readers:
    Are invisibility and electricity powers from the comics?

He did indeed. The compromise is that his overall strength and speed are a bit slower than Peter Parker, and I believe his Spider Sense isn't quite as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I found the framerate a bit distracting at times, especially at the start. But I took this as a conscious decision by the studio as opposed to the poor framerate in Netflix's Dragon Prince series.

As for the film itself: I loved it.

The animation style was great. As above, a little distracting at times but overall VERY pretty. The thought bubbles, the halftone they used which shows more during closeups. the action sounds. The more subtle anime stylings of Penny Parker and Cartoony stylings of Peter Porker over the more overt B/W of Spiderman Noir.

Superb voice acting. There wasn't a voice that I didn't like but I especially liked Peter Parker's voice.... It was just... just a voice. Just an average American voice that you could hear anywhere which was perfect for Peter Parker. The actors all sounded like real people if you know what I mean.

The characters were all very likable and engaging, again, especially Peter Parker and Miles Morales. They were all very human. Miles' first day with the powers in school was hilarious:
    Puberty
    and
    Play dumb. "Morales who?" Not THAT dumb

Great music and sound (That grind/roar during the prowler scenes was badass).

The Stan Lee cameo was sweet and poignant.

Great fun movie. Great style. Not trying to emulate the MCU movies or anything else really (Which is good). Just wanted to do it's own thing. It shows from the music choice to the animation style. If I had to compare it to anything I would compare it to Big Hero Six in that it used a poppy soundtrack and a very bright and dynamic world.

For those wondering if you need to be up on Spiderman lore: No. I'm sure you will get more if you are but I'm not and I loved it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Amazing movie. Absolutely amazing. I laughed, I gasped, I cried and I was thoroughly entertained.

The only downside was that I saw it in Screen 1 in the Odeon in Limerick and there were 15 people there, tops.
    I think a lot of people are going to discount it as a kids movie (and it's their loss).

It's the best out of all the Spiderman movies and the best superhero movie I've seen in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Does that stupid cartoon pig ruin it a bit or was that just one or two scenes?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Didn't ruin it at all, and he's in it as much as the other Spideys from the other universes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Yeah, spider-pig is fine. He's no more odd than Noir Spider-Man or the weird anime spider-robot and, credit to the film, they all blend in with the tone of the story. Never feels too silly or even too out of place.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,457 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Best movie I've seen with the kids in ages (including the MCU/Superhero/Pixar/Disney animations, which I would usually enjoy). Go see this over Ralph/Poppins/Bumblebee :)

I'm just amazed Sony didn't find a way to mess it up, and you've really got to question Disney's decision not to let Lord and Miller do their thing on Solo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭emo72

Was talking to a very serious movie buff last night who happens to hate superhero movies and animation. He was raving about this movie. Just came in to this thread to see if he was losing it. He's not I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

My favourite Spidey movie, by far. It is excellent.

Have this stuck in my head too since seeing it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Was thinking of bringing the little fella to see this, he's Spider-Man mad but only 4. Is it suitable or would it be for slightly older kids?

Edit; a few sites are saying 7/8+ might leave it

• Registered Users Posts: 16,457 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Was thinking of bringing the little fella to see this, he's Spider-Man mad but only 4. Is it suitable or would it be for slightly older kids?

Might be a bit young, there is death and cartoon violence in it (punching/kicking etc.) in the showing I went to, a couple of younger kids were brought out after ~20 minutes or so.

Yep, read a few reviews and will definitely give it a miss. Will go to something else. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Some arseholes in liffey valley had babies with them crying through the screening on Thursday afternoon. There was a toddler about 1 let run around the whole time too.

Took away from a quality film.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Only you know your kid and what he can handle. My kid is 5 and he enjoyed it with no sense of fear or dread. At our showing, first thing in the morning there was plenty in his age group without issues.

Hurrache wrote: »
    Only you know your kid and what he can handle. My kid is 5 and he enjoyed it with no sense of fear or dread. At our showing, first thing in the morning there was plenty in his age group without issues.

Yeah, I read a few reviews after posting that and I don't think it's suitable for him yet.

Thanks for the replies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,151 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Just realised how I know Spiderman Noirs voice :pac:

Amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭santana75

Wow!!! Best super hero film I've ever seen. It kinda p1sses all over Infinity war(probably made for a fraction of the budget too). My faith in the super hero genre has been restored and hopefully there'll more like this. Its funny, exciting, smart, and surprisingly very moving. Definitely hit me in the feels, which i did not expect at all. Go see it, you wont be disappointed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Hotcups

Can people who've seen this advise if it would be suitable for a 6 year old to see? Have heard it has a few darker moments.

I brought my six year old son to it and he loved it. I don't think it was too dark for him.

All in all we really enjoyed it. I think it is up there with the Killing Joke as the best animated superhero movie I've ever seen!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I brought my 4 year old and he loved it. Didn't understand the different dimension parts, but once he saw some action, he was happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

Saw this last night and it was amazing. How have people not learned to stay for the credits in these kinds of movies. Loads of people got up and stood in the way during the post-movie / pre-credit bit. Then a load more left during the actual credits and missed the great post-credit scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

matrim wrote: »
    Saw this last night and it was amazing. How have people not learned to stay for the credits in these kinds of movies. Loads of people got up and stood in the way during the post-movie / pre-credit bit. Then a load more left during the actual credits and missed the great post-credit scene.

I dont bother my arse anymore tbh, its barely ever worth the wait, i watch the trailer after the mini graphical credits scene as its only a short wait, but as soon as the full credits roll, I'm outta there, ill catch it when its out on stream a few months later when i can skip the credits :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

Got round to seeing it today. Really solid film and its amazing how well it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

nix wrote: »
    I dont bother my arse anymore tbh, its barely ever worth the wait, i watch the trailer after the mini graphical credits scene as its only a short wait, but as soon as the full credits roll, I'm outta there, ill catch it when its out on stream a few months later when i can skip the credits :pac:

I was more annoyed at the people standing during the graphics credits as I wanted to see those and they were in the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,977 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Saw it today with entire family

I think mum and dad enjoyed it more than the kids!

Excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭p to the e

What strange times we live in. Two of the best films I've seen in a number of months have Nicholas Cage in them.

Into the Spider verse was equal parts hilarious, thrilling and emotional. The cast are fantastic and it's probably the best Stan Lee cameo compared to any of the previous Marvel films.

But the star of the film has to be the mesmerising animation. It looks like something akin to "Sin City" passed through a Norman Rockwell filter. There was a "Epilepsy seizure" warning on the way into the screen and with good reason. Fantastic colours and shapes are flashed past your eyes with little or no regard for your eye safety, that I just couldn't see working in a live action version.

If this is to be Spidey's swansong with Sony then you have to wonder what took them so long to make one of the best Marvel superheroes flicks I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse has won Best Animated Feature at the Golden Globes, and bloody well deserves it.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/behind-screen/golden-globes-spider-man-spider-verse-wins-best-animated-feature-1173805

This is only the 3rd time since 2007 that Disney/Pixar have not won the award, which is a damn impressive feat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Arcsurvivor

The different Spider men were largely unknown to me since I do not read comics, but the story was exceptional for an animated film and it has been confirmed that a sequel will be released.

https://nerdist.com/article/spider-man-into-the-spider-verse-sequel-spin-off-details-confirmed/

Advertisement