Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Telling your children

• 18-12-2018 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Just wondering how other adult adoptees have gone about telling their young children that they were adopted or how the approached introducing them to birth parents? I am starting the process slowly by explaining what adoption means. I am worried it may affect their relationship with their grandparents but want them to know the truth and meet their half cousins. Is there a good age to have this discussion?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

Not sure about a good age as such. My kids knew for a couple of years before my husband found his birth mum. My daughter and I used to watch Adoption Stories and I just said that dad was adopted. She was surprised, as was our older son. They'd have been about 9 & 11. We kept them updated on the search and at the same time Dh's adoptive mum was ill so there was a lot going on. Anyway it's worked out ok. His adoptive parents are now sadly deceased and he is in regular contact with his birth mum and her family. Our kids met them early on in the reunion and took it in their stride. How old are your kids? Can you explain that you grew in your birth mums tummy and your mother and father brought you up? Our youngest knows that Dh has had 2 mums and that's how I explained it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 JaneyMac2

Ghekko wrote: »
    Not sure about a good age as such. My kids knew for a couple of years before my husband found his birth mum. My daughter and I used to watch Adoption Stories and I just said that dad was adopted. She was surprised, as was our older son. They'd have been about 9 & 11. We kept them updated on the search and at the same time Dh's adoptive mum was ill so there was a lot going on. Anyway it's worked out ok. His adoptive parents are now sadly deceased and he is in regular contact with his birth mum and her family. Our kids met them early on in the reunion and took it in their stride. How old are your kids? Can you explain that you grew in your birth mums tummy and your mother and father brought you up? Our youngest knows that Dh has had 2 mums and that's how I explained it.

Thanks for the reply. They are a bit younger than yours were. The youngest is too young I think. I will do it gradually.

Advertisement