Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What comic are you reading at the moment.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,151 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Well first thing they did was return the OG Rogers, Odinson & Stark to the main Avengers title. Thats significant step in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,079 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

The only good thing to come of this from marvel will be the fantastic four return with Dr Doom to boot, I'm not jumping in this time though I'll wait and see how it all plays out for a while before reading some of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,151 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The only good thing to come of this from marvel will be the fantastic four return with Dr Doom to boot, I'm not jumping in this time though I'll wait and see how it all plays out for a while before reading some of them.
    I think cancelling the Legacy numbering is good aswell. Seeing comics go from Vol 2 Issue 34 to Issue 623 in a month was strange. Also Bendis leaving Marvel did also mean a shuffling of writers was required. I still find Marvel far easier to follow than DC.

Just wondering what the future holds for the X-Men who now have X, Jean and Wolverine all back in play thanks to Legacy! Hopefully Cullen Bunn gets control of the X-Men flagship.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Ridley

All-New, All-Different Avengers HC
    Uncanny Avengers 3: Civil War II
    Uncanny Inhumans 3: Civil War II

Great Lakes Avengers 1: Same Old, Same Old
    * - I wish it was, it was. Thanks to my assumption that it was a six-issue arc, I ended up having to wait on issue 7 to show up like someone that isn't a trade-waiter. Disappointing run with characters sounding like each other and just generally not being anywhere near as enjoyable as the GLA's one-shot appearances.

Thor by J. Michael Straczynski 1* - Handy jumping on point in the wake of the Ragnarok movie. Forgot that Clor was a thing. And Dr. Strange hasn't shown up a million times like in JMS' Spider-Man run yet so it also has that going for it.

Silver Surfer 3: Last Days - Still the best Doctor Who comic.

The Amazing Spider-Man: Worldwide 1 HC - Slott's the only one that bothers to put the Human Torch and Spider-Man together regularly so I'll feel his departure when I get there. But, hey, the FF might be back by then.

Batman: Rebirth Deluxe Edition Book 1
    The Flash: Rebirth Deluxe Edition Book 2

Looks like Super Sons is the last of the Rebirth books to be getting a deluxe volume so I'll try to go about getting the TPBs (likely digital, really) for the others to continue my attempt at reading the first stories of all the Rebirth lines.

Assassin's Creed: Reflections

James Bond: Black Box

Dragon Ball Super 2 - Hits a sequence of rather unpleasant Toyotaro images. A shame cause his work is better to look at than the anime.

Asterix and the Missing Scroll - Hey, remember when WikiLeaks and the Julian in the Cupboard were supposed to be a force for good?

Avatar: The Last Airbender - North and South Part 1
    Avatar: The Last Airbender - North and South Part 2

Avatar: The Last Airbender - North and South Part 3

*Digital issue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

Just finished The City of Owls- one of the best Batman stories I’ve read in awhile

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Xofpod

A lot of stuff electronically:

Black Hammer
    Papergirls
    Mister Miracle
    The Escapists

Absolutely need the physical format for Bryan Talbot's Alice in Sunderland, though

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

My reading is mostly trade-based and very sporadic these days, though every now and then I remember that I keep buying big bundles of digital comics on my tablet that I haven't read.

Recently, I read the 3rd and 4th volumes of the Rivers Of London comics, which are actually really good and work more as short stories set in the same world rather than the typical tie-in material where the authorial voice and standard of writing might fall far short of the source material.

I also finally got around to reading all of Locke & Key via my local library and was very pleasantly surprised - I've enjoyed a good chunk of Joe Hill's fiction, and suspect that he's a good writer who is, for the time being at least, better at concepts than he is character work (though that may be a subconscious and unfair comparison to his dad, who is a phenomenal character writer when he wants to be). In particular I love how Bode's curiosity and childish naiveté come across as much in his body language as in his way of speaking, but all of the characters are developed and fleshed out in interesting ways here (though, as has happened elsewhere in Hill's work, there are one or two moments that are kind of tin-eared in their earnestness to deal with certain sociopolitical topics). Throughout the series, Hill and Rodriguez work together to make both character and plotting really engaging, and as a result I would happily read more stories set in the same world because it has very neatly established a whole bunch of narrative possibilities.

Lastly, I read the excellent Your Black Friend from the Silver Sprocket Club (whose anthology, As You Were, I have enjoyed and posted about in the past). I thought this was a really good, if short, roundup of what it's like to be black in contemporary America, filtered through a very clever framing device of being an explanation for white people of what it is like to be "the black friend". I can see that certain perspectives and ideas may vary in their applicability, but the art is lovely and visually engaging, while the writing packs in a lot of ideas and concepts into a 12-page strip - all while also managing to avoid sounding preachy and having more than a few moments of humour.

Have just read Fight Club again recently so grabbed Fight Club 2 just to follow things up ugggh Palahniuk is so annoying stupid twists and over use of characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,794 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Fysh wrote: »
    I also finally got around to reading all of Locke & Key via my local library and was very pleasantly surprised - I've enjoyed a good chunk of Joe Hill's fiction, and suspect that he's a good writer who is, for the time being at least, better at concepts than he is character work (though that may be a subconscious and unfair comparison to his dad, who is a phenomenal character writer when he wants to be). In particular I love how Bode's curiosity and childish naiveté come across as much in his body language as in his way of speaking, but all of the characters are developed and fleshed out in interesting ways here (though, as has happened elsewhere in Hill's work, there are one or two moments that are kind of tin-eared in their earnestness to deal with certain sociopolitical topics). Throughout the series, Hill and Rodriguez work together to make both character and plotting really engaging, and as a result I would happily read more stories set in the same world because it has very neatly established a whole bunch of narrative possibilities.

Found very little filler in these. Any other stories were kept to spinoffs. You just read the main story? Latest comic set in the universe was "Small World".

Hope the upcoming tv series is good

• Moderators Posts: 51,709 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Fysh wrote: »
    Lastly, I read the excellent Your Black Friend from the Silver Sprocket Club (whose anthology, As You Were, I have enjoyed and posted about in the past). I thought this was a really good, if short, roundup of what it's like to be black in contemporary America, filtered through a very clever framing device of being an explanation for white people of what it is like to be "the black friend". I can see that certain perspectives and ideas may vary in their applicability, but the art is lovely and visually engaging, while the writing packs in a lot of ideas and concepts into a 12-page strip - all while also managing to avoid sounding preachy and having more than a few moments of humour.

Was really impressed with Your Black Friend. Got it as part of a selection of comics from ShortBox. They are great for finding good indie comics you might otherwise miss :)

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Delirium wrote: »
    Was really impressed with Your Black Friend. Got it as part of a selection of comics from ShortBox. They are great for finding good indie comics you might otherwise miss :)

I keep meaning to pre-order stuff from them, I'm kicking myself over missing the one at the start of the year that had a new Emily Carroll comics included. Every time I've looked over what they offer I've practically been drooling on myself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Has anyone read Planetary? Its absolutely brilliant, Im trying not to binge it all in one go but its too good, 50% through and its one of my all time favorite series already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Thargor wrote: »
    Has anyone read Planetary? Its absolutely brilliant, Im trying not to binge it all in one go but its too good, 50% through and its one of my all time favorite series already.

A bookseller I know got a copy of the huge hardback omnibus in for me without even checking with me first, they were so sure I would enjoy it. I think I went through it in a long weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭spektorfive

Taken me ten years but finally finished "Scalped". I lost the run of it in the middle. I do think the book wandered, but it came together in the End.

I already started Southern Bastards (Jason Araon) other dark, gritty crime book. Enjoying it but not as into Scalped but again it could come together.

Planetary is a great read. If you enjoy that, you might enjoy the Warren Ellis run on Stormwatch and possibly the Ed Brubaker/Sean Phillips series Sleeper.

Transmetropolitan is probably also worth a look, if the idea of a Hunter S Thompson political journalist in a beyond-Blade-Runner future sounds appealing. If you do check it out, start with the second half (issues 4-6) of the first trade. The first half is a bit po-faced in setting up the story, whereas the second half quickly gives you an idea of what to expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

JayRoc wrote: »
    A bookseller I know got a copy of the huge hardback omnibus in for me without even checking with me first, they were so sure I would enjoy it. I think I went through it in a long weekend

3 Issues in following this recommendation and really enjoying it. Thanks!

Big fan of Transmetropolitan too.

Just got caught up on Scooby Apocalypse. Didn't expect to like it at first but I did. Though it could be brand new characters in the same situation and there'd be no difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

Jayd0g wrote: »
    3 Issues in following this recommendation and really enjoying it. Thanks!

Big fan of Transmetropolitan too.

Finished the full run of Planetary.

It really lived up to expectations. Highly recommended.

I really enjoyed how every issue stood on it's own with a completely different theme while still building up the characters and world. The creators really seem to have had fun playing around with different comics tropes and themes.

Read the first issue of Heroes in Crisis and to quote the movie Big "I don't get it"
    A couple of well known characters shown supposedly dead and no real reaction to it.

I read Volume 4 of Kill or Be Killed recently. It was really good (I always find Brubaker & Phillips at least pretty good, so there's that) although I won't lie, I was a bit disappointed at
    the out-of-nowhere "Oh BTW I was always dead" aspect to the conclusion, which made the extra kicker of "Oh btw the demon is real too" a bit too sour for me
    . I wouldn't mind seeing what these guys would come up with if someone forced them to do a story that wasn't a total downer, because the last few years of their output has been on a decidedly miserabilist trend...

Currently I'm reading through a collection of the first couple of years of Krazy & Ignatz strips by George Herriman. Some really fun stuff in there, and I'd bet that it had at least some influence over Bill Watterson when it comes to Calvin & Hobbes (my all-time favourite comic strip, which I'm long overdue a full re-read of...)

Next up, my smaller-than-usual Thought Bubble haul. And a couple of Italian-language weekly anthology comics I picked up on holiday recently...

• Advertisement

With the talk of the Amazon series, I started reading The Boys.
    Really enjoying it so far. On issue 15.
    I'm guessing they're only adapting the concept as I don't see the actual content of these comics being adapted without a lot of controversy. Unless Amazon are like Starz, content wise.

The Boys is amazing, never knew it was being filmed!

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Read the first issue of Heroes in Crisis and to quote the movie Big "I don't get it"
    A couple of well known characters shown supposedly dead and no real reaction to it.

There has been reaction in some of the DC comics this past week the story has only just started it'll take some time for the dust to settle and to know if what we have seen is real or not

Bought the first two of Wonder Woman/Justice League Dark Witching Hour. I've been reading Greek Mythology my whole life were first books I was given DC does the background myths quite well especially the villainous characters. Good read so far.

Doomsday Clock took a very positive turn in the most recent issue #7 gonna be a slog waiting for the remaining 5 issues over the next 9+ months

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Ridley

JLA 4* - Finally got the Waid run after decided to read from the beginning. Word is Tower of Babel is the peak which doesn't bode well for the rest of his issues since I didn't think much of it.

The Flash by Mark Waid 2 - The Return of Barry Allen still be good.

All-Star Batman 1: My Own Worst Enemy - Better version of Batman running a gauntlet of his foes than the build up to the broken Batback in Knightfall eye em oh.

Batman: Legacy 1 - The Clench is back! And still called the Clench! I mean, you could have just done this the first time around instead of Contagion.

Wonder Woman: A Celebration of 75 Years* - Quite a few first issues/soft reboots so there's not much of a continuity beyond the Marston issues. I was quite interested in seeing how the depowered '70s Avengers (not that one) agent Wonder Woman played out so I laughed when the two issues representing are the first and last of the run.

The Rocketeer: High Flying Adventures* - Mostly nice anthology of stories hopping around Secord's life across the WW2 era. Novellas should be banned from comics though.

Planet of the Apes: Cataclysm 1 (re-read)
    Planet of the Apes: Cataclysm 2
    Planet of the Apes: Cataclysm 3 - Better read all in one go but it's let down by a sudden scramble to connect Beneath and Escape from the Planet of the Apes continuity at the end.

Uncle Scrooge: The Lost Crown of Genghis Khan

Dragon Ball Super 3 - Yes, I will take a short flashback to how Future Trunks dealt with Majin Buu in his timeline, thank you. Would have been all over an episode of the anime as well if they'd shown it.

Doctor Who 1: Terrorformer* - I should just finish up Slott's Silver Surfer run but I picked a few Doctor Who books in some sales. For a story published this side of the millennium, The Sword of Kali story showed a surprising lack of awareness to what bothers people about the handling of India and Hindu mythology in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. Little wonder that the story got re-edited.

The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles #7 - I do like Dan Barry's art. Has now led me to spending too much on Flash Gordon comics.

Marvel Star Wars 3 hardcover

Thor by J. Michael Straczynski 2*
    Thor by J. Michael Straczynski 3* - Mercifully brief but still too much of a cameo by Doctor Strange, there. Seems odd to do Siege if JMS wanted nothing to with it and he's the one carrying the characters/setting that can't be taken out of the event. Also, that Thor: Giant-Size Finale isn't about Thor, is half held up by reprints and is barely a finale. I would actually like to see more standard Silver Age comics redone with digital colouring.

Avengers Arena: The Complete Collection - Moves away from the Battle Royale premise fairly quickly. I do like the Weird Al lookalike version of Arcade getting the idea from Hunger Games instead.

*Digital version

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

DC and Loonytunes mash up. Strange but enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Read the Neil Gaiman Eternals miniseries from a few years back. Fairly standard stuff but the quality of his writing shines through here and there.

Just started Sex Criminals. Look great: puerile and smart at the same time...

I enjoy Sex Criminals. It's a fun read. From the notes before and after the story. The "Sex tips" in the letters page. The background of some panels with punny names.

Just finished The Boys last night. Safe to say the Amazon series won't be too loyal. I'd say it will take main character names, the concept and some storylines.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Reading the Judge Dredd Megazine , in particular the Dark Judges story " The torture garden". It's the follow to Dominion.

Artwork by Nick Percival is amazing.

• Advertisement

Is the Harbinger series any good? Bit stuck for anything to read at the minute.

Advertisement