Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Coleman petrol stove review filmed in Donegal

• 10-12-2018 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

We have uploaded a review of the Coleman Sportster Unleaded stove which runs on petrol/gasoline. This little thing is great value for money and saves you having to spend a fortune on gas cartridges. Taking in some stunning Donegal scenery along the way! What do you think? Don't forget to subscribe to the channel if you want to keep up to date with our latest videos.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I have the lantern version of this and am constantly impressed with the effort it puts out with just a bit of petrol in the tank. Quality gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Run both the above on Aspen fuel for even better results if the stove/lantern are going to be stored with fuel in them for any length of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Donegal Overlanding

A friend uses Aspen in his Coleman Feather and loves it. I'm too miserly to spend that amount though, its around 4 times the price of unleaded.

It holds 1.1 US pints and burns for 1 3/4 hours on full flame and 6 1/2 hours on simmer.

1.1 US pints is a bit more than half a liter so 500ml per fill. Last liter of Aspen fuel was a bit under €6 so €3 for nearly 2 hours at full belt doesn't seem that expensive to me.

Coleman themselves don't recommend using unleaded petrol if you can avoid it as long term it really reduces the life of the generator. Most stoves will probably never get used enough for most people to notice the difference. Coleman fuel is ridiculously expensive here and Aspen is the most readily available substitute although anyone that does spray painting would have easy access to panel wipe which is another good fuel.

You could continue to break that down further and make it sound cheaper, but its 4 times the price of unleaded any way that you look at it. I'm not really seeing much difference in the price of panel wipe and Aspen either.

I have read many things about unleaded, but I have not come across anything where Coleman suggest not using unleaded fuel. The stove doesn't even say Dual Fuel on it, it says Unleaded. Of course that could be for marketing purposes.

The one thing my friend talks about with Aspen is that there is little to no smell, unlike petrol which is fairly potent. I've never actually sniffed his Aspen so cant confirm that. He also says it last longer than unleaded which "goes off" after a few months. I use our stoves a lot, we camp throughout the year. Camped last weekend and will be again this weekend, but I see your point.

Regardless of price, he would only use Aspen and nothing any of us say will change his mind on that.

• Advertisement

I use both, but if I'm putting anything away for a while I run it on Aspen and leave it full of Aspen so its ready to go. I've a Coleman 533, Optimus 123 and 8R that I use plus a couple of Coleman lanterns that are used very little so always use Aspen in them.

I use the 123 the most (backpack it) and it uses so little fuel that I mostly fill it with Aspen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

What's Aspen? some kind of white gas?

https://aspenfuel.co.uk/

Over here the easiest place to get it is often garden machinery sales shops.

A blatant copy and paste.

"Aspen is an 'alkylate fuel' made in a special process which produces a clean burning fuel similar in combustion properties to petrol but without the dangerous substances such as benzene and aromatic hydrocarbons. Aspen also stays fresh for many years unlike petrol which goes stale in a matter of a few months."

A blatant copy and paste.

"Aspen is an 'alkylate fuel' made in a special process which produces a clean burning fuel similar in combustion properties to petrol but without the dangerous substances such as benzene and aromatic hydrocarbons. Aspen also stays fresh for many years unlike petrol which goes stale in a matter of a few months."

And a blatant copy of an image from the same source :D

aspen-in-woods.jpg

• Advertisement

hahahah what are the odds of that!

Buying in bulk pretty much cuts the price by 50%.

https://aspenfuel.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/RRP-Prices-incl-bulk-from-september-1st.pdf

I should have said I also keep it as a prepper (Survivalism & Self Sufficiency) and its the long keeping qualities that I'm interested in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Does anyone have an idea how sooty it is compared to coleman fuel vs Petrol?

There's a bit of info at https://landcruisingadventure.com/the-gasoline-coleman-stove/ different stove but they share the same generator design that gets clogged and needs cleaning or replaceing. Coleman sell the generators as standard spare parts so they are easy to come by.

If you dig around on classiccampstoves.com I'm sure you will find some more info.

Advertisement